are they still getting dust probems?

Guest MonkeyBum

Guest MonkeyBum

Im thinking of geting the c500 until,

i heard about the dust problems. are the new models stil getting these. scratches and dust really annoy me on fones.

thanks

Guest element

The new models dont have this dust problem, they've had a foam thing attatched under the screen or something. I was holding off getting one until it was fixed.

I've got one of the new ones and it was fine for a few weeks, now it is shocking!

and Orange will not do I thing about it!

Be warned!

Apart from that its a fantastic phone!

Guest hotphil

Yep, know two people who've got C500's this month and both already have dust under the screen. I *can't* believe they've not got this sorted yet! Must be all of tuppence per unit to sort - cheaper than the return carriage charge for sending each one back after a couple of weeks of ownership surely?

It's actually the ONLY reason I've not gone for one yet, I'll wait for the next model and just pray that HTC realise we don't live in their nice sterile labs!

Oh, and try Orange again, they've sold you a phone that without misuse is not fit for it's purpose if you can't see the screen properly.

Guest BarnOwl

I use one. It seems highly unlikely there will be any dust coming in. It is a tight fitting case (Not much added volume) and the front only has ahole for the mic and the d pad.

I like it (No dust so far) 8)

Guest barker77

Im now on my 3rd c500 and still having dust problem. I have contacted the orange executive office as orange customer services refuse to give me a different phone even though the dust problem is an inherent fault with the handset.I have posted in digital spy forums as at the time modaco forums were being updated.

for more see http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=178670

Paul

Guest MonkeyBum

hi,

is there a krussel leather case that i can get that use can use the fone at the same time without taking it out the case, and would this still stop the dust getting in.

if there isnt a way of stopping the dust, im going to get a k700i

Guest barker77

Well i used the krussel case but took it off cos it made the phone feel bulky and just not nice. I dont think i should have to use a case too keep out dust from getting in because of a design fault

Paul

Guest gadgetluva

So is this a big problem with the SMT5600 too? I usually keep it in the hip belt case it came in...would be upset to see dust under the screen.

Guest barker77

I dont know as ive only had the c500 im quite upset that it has this problem and even HTC cant properly fix it. However the battle with orange trying to get it swopped for another handset is extremly annoying

Paul

Guest Confused Stu

Hi guys. There have already been lots of debate about dust under the screen on C500 models - as evidenced by quite a few forums already dedicated to this.

To sum up - yes, quite a few C500's seem to suffer from dust under the screen (based purely on the forum entries), and it seems quite a few "new fixed" ones still suffer. Orange don't want to know at all and list the problem as cosmetic, so not covered by the warranty (based on my conversations with them). :evil:

You can go direct to HTC who do a very reasonable rate for refurbishing handsets (about £15 last time I looked) - check out HTC Europe. There is no guarantee that the dust won't come back - but you will have an as-new handset.

The only other option for those people who are stupid enough to do it is to take it apart and do it themselves - you'll need a T6 torx screwdriver and a small phillips one. First time took me about an hour, last time I did it took me under five minutes as I now know what I'm doing. Here's my instructions for how to do it (in Word format - message me for any other format if you need it):

C500_de_dusting.doc

Guest barker77

Crazy!!

This is totally crazy . Im having problems with orange as you can see in my previous posts, but even because the problem is "cosmetic" under the sale of goods act they have to refund you or give you a different handset as it is faulty and has an inherent problem. If in doubt contact trading standards, which is my next step if orange will not resolve it at their level.

Forgot to mention that im dealing with the orange executive office and they have said they have had no complaints so suggest that everyone on orange who has this problem email [email protected]

Paul

Edited by barker77

Guest CB-Dave

i've noticed a couple specks appearing in the top right of the screen, just below the orange logo on my c500 - it's not world-ending but i'm a bit peeved, what gets me more angry tho is the ease at which the screen is scratched - don't put your SPV in your change pocket no matter what you do!!! it'll come out looking like you've sandpapered it! (well ok, not that bad but still - they've developed harder wearing plastics than that since 1980 lol!!)

Great, I'm looking forward to the grief with Orange already. I put off phoning them before xmas to get my C500 replaced, now the dust is obscuring a large chunk of the top left of teh screen and is now a pain. If I get anything different from what others have experienced with Orange I'll post it.

Has anyone managed to get Orange to do anything?

After complaining in writing I was contacted by someone from Orange and they told me to go to an Orange shop and if the staff confirms it is a fault they would replace it. The manager at the shop essentially told me they know it is a problem, but they're not supposed to do anything about it!

Orange will never get my custom again.

Guest Confused Stu

To be honest MonkeyBum, the possibility of dust build up is a very, very small price to pay for the excellent C500. Please, please, please don't be put off buying one by the dust issue, or Orange's attitude to this one problem. There simply is no other phone that comes anywhere close to a C500 (in whatever guise it was sold as i-mate, etc), especially when you've added a couple of DVD's and seen your mate's jaws drop!

Guys, back me up here. MonkeyBum should still get a C500 and if the dust does strike - dismantling the phone and healing it kind of makes it feel like it really is a friend rather than a phone.

(please ignore the padded white cell connatations of that last comment! It was actually sincere!) :shock:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DeanoSMB
To be honest MonkeyBum, the possibility of dust build up is a very, very small price to pay for the excellent C500.  Please, please, please don't be put off buying one by the dust issue, or Orange's attitude to this one problem.  There simply is no other phone that comes anywhere close to a C500 (in whatever guise it was sold as i-mate, etc), especially when you've added a couple of DVD's and seen your mate's jaws drop!

Guys, back me up here.  MonkeyBum should still get a C500 and if the dust does strike - dismantling the phone and healing it kind of makes it feel like it really is a friend rather than a phone.

(please ignore the padded white cell connatations of that last comment!  It was actually sincere!) :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Difficult one. The C500 is the best phone I've ever had by miles and miles and miles - and I feel as if I've still only scratched the surface (metaphorically speaking) with it. But the dust is an annoyance. Trouble in paradise, I guess!

Had I paid for one I'd be livid, but as an upgrade it feels more acceptable. Though probably isn't!

Guest bluesmudge

Have any of you considered having it replaced under something like a dead pixel or something? they don't check the phone when the courier collects it, and you pay for the replacement anyway - and if they complain you could state you mistook the dust for a dead pixel ! Ok they would think you are stupid but you get your replacement! - I havn't tried this by the way!

I took my C500 apart and removed the dust. Then I applied some foam windows weather sealing, heavily modified of course. My guarantee is gone, but at least I am rather sure I won't see dust under the screen again! :D

The dust problem is a joke. I can't believe HTC haven't fixed this, after two years of doing smartphones! But... This is STILL my number one choice of smartphone! I sold my Sony Ericsson P900 shortly after getting the C500 and it was a great choice, which I'd repeat in a second.

If you haven't bought your C500 yet, just go for it! Nothing even comes close to matching this value-for-money packet :D

Edited by spvdk