Remove certification requirement from the SPV

Guest Third_of_Five

Guest awarner [MVP]
yes  y confirm my spv is not loked for ANY certifications !!! :D

Ok so have you installed any un-certified apps then?

Let us know if it works.

i took this from microsoft.public.smartphone.developer, and i haven't tried it, but it seems to be the same way as the french site explains :

"It's finaly so easy to unlock the phone...

Some peoples on the smartphony.org forums

found the way, using... a bug :D

I'll explain for non french readers :

You do a Hard Reset of the phone (you'll lose

everything so do a backup first!)

Then wait for the PIN code entry. Do nothing,

just wait some time (about 10-15 minutes should

be enough). Then reboot. And VOILA !!! No more

protection !!!

The only problem is the Orange parameters, you

will have to put them back by hand afterward, or

do a reprovisionning with modified prov. files.

I tried this weekend, and since, I can run my own

developped software on my SPV.

Thanks a lot Arisme and the other peoples who hang

around the french smarpthone forums :)"

Guest spacemonkey

OK, just noticed this thread here, I've been watching on smartphonedn for a while. Just finished reading the entire frikking french forum through altavista... (oh my eyes)...

Basically what seems to happen is that you do a hard reset and then you are the "Manager" of the phone... this means you have all the rights. But after you enter your PIN and it starts up the first thing the OS does is read through a whole pile of XML in the windows directory which configures the phone for Orange, applies the appropriate certificates and then removes your "Manager" status.

What the french are doing is killing it at that stage, then when the phone comes back it doesn't think it's coming back from a hard reset, doesn't process the XML and you're wahey... but with none of the other settings you want.

In the french forum there was a Swiss? guy who couldn't get it to work (similar to Paul's report that it doesn't work for UK)... but...

What the swiss guy suggested (that I'm gonna have a play with tomorrow) is that you get the right piece of the setup XML, edit it to give the rights and certificates that you want. Then you hard reset, and at the wait for PIN stage get ready to active sync. If you can get the phone on active sync and copy your edited setup XML on before the phone get's to processing that particular one then you will be laughing. Cos, not only will you have made yourself permanent manager but it will have processed all the normal Orange settings so your phone will be a happy chappy.

Supposedly this sort of behaviour is completely safe, cos worst case scenario you can do a normal hard reset and go back to your previous existance. Don't know which piece of XML needs tweaking but I'll find the b*****d.

Before I try this I just want to make sure of something... Will my phone go back to "normal" if it fails and I then make a normal hard reset??

I don't want to f**k up my phone completely in an experiment....

Guest spacemonkey

I haven't actually tried this yet... but... it's not making ny modifications to the ROM so yes, a normal hard reset should bring your phone back to a working state. Alas... no one can offer any gaurantees in life.

As to a proper network unlock... if the network sim lock is handled in software then a no certification required phone is inherently modifiable at a software level, so opening the network sim lock becomes a bit more possible.

doesn't surprise me ... I think that such a ridiculous problem is not too complicated to fix :wink: but I wonder why we happy French users still have it ...

and spacemonkey you're right, a simple hard reset (with a faster PIN entry for us) will put the phone back in its standard configuration ...

not for my configuration at least

(rom operator : 1.1.6.7 / manufacturer : 1.1.6.7 / language : 1.1.6.7 / Microsoft : 3.0.12255.0 / File System : 3.0.12255.0)

don't you love 5 digits version numbers :D