165 replies to this topic

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

I'm holding off for the M2500 now, partly because of the stock issue. It's the same as the M2000, except the screen resolution is doubled, the camera is now 1.3 megapixel and it's a faster processor. Also known as the XDA IIi, try googling and all you'll find is the XDA III (damn case-insensitive google!). I've seen it called the XDA 2i as well, or you could look for HTC Alpine.

No due date as yet...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds nice but expensive!

philgriffiths

philgriffiths

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Devices:Orange M2000

I'm holding off for the M2500 now, partly because of the stock issue. It's the same as the M2000, except the screen resolution is doubled, the camera is now 1.3 megapixel and it's a faster processor. Also known as the XDA IIi, try googling and all you'll find is the XDA III (damn case-insensitive google!). I've seen it called the XDA 2i as well, or you could look for HTC Alpine.

No due date as yet...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what i have read the HTC Alpine is not the same as the M2000. It is based on the XDAII, and so has no slide out keyboard. Granted there are some tasty positives, like the faster processor and higher screen res, but given the amount of time it taeks for these things to come from testing, to sale i wouldn't think it will be out anytime soon... but i have been suprised before.... Personally I'm still pretty damn happy with my M2000

"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." - Ernest Hemingway

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hermes

From what i have read the HTC Alpine is not the same as the M2000. It is based on the XDAII, and so has no slide out keyboard. Granted there are some tasty positives, like the faster processor and higher screen res, but given the amount of time it taeks for these things to come from testing, to sale i wouldn't think it will be out anytime soon... but i have been suprised before.... Personally I'm still pretty damn happy with my M2000

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen statements both ways, but from what I'm able to figure out it's mostly due to the confusion of the naming of the whole product line. I guess as the phones is OEM'ed out to and renamed, they didn't bother with consumer-friendly names. The most "authorative sounding" statements I've seen tended towards it's being the successor to the IIs (i.e. with keyboard), but those articles were dated around Oct/Nov last year, so it's a little stale. However, tech wise it would make more sense to be a successor to the III, as it would be easier to squeeze in the extra features on the non-keyboard model first, purely on a design viewpoint. But why call it the IIi? Are they mad? :shock:

I think you may be right on just biting the bullet and going for the M2000. Either way, it will be a while til it's available, I've googled high and low and I can't find ANY mention of a release date, and that doesn't bode well! No one lists it as "coming soon" either; the only references out there are short & sweet. I'm just one of those folk tho; hate to think I'd get something for it to be outdated within a couple of months! I have been considering getting a camera already, but I'm realizing that none of the 1.3 mp cameras really compare to a proper camera, especially for printing out glossies ultimately.

Out of curiosity, how fast is the Blue Angel in comparison to your average PDA nowadays? Would the extra CPU speed come in useful, or is the current speed adequate for your average PPC application? I'm a geeky user; I'll be doing SSH & VPN etc, and those will chew up a fair amount of cycles I reckon, plus I'll be playing the odd game/eumulator.

And if I can squeeze in one more question; now that some folk have had their phone for a while; what is the opinion on the usefulness of the keyboard? Do you use it instead of the stylus often?

sazoo

sazoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Devices:XDA2s

And if I can squeeze in one more question; now that some folk have had their phone for a while; what is the opinion on the usefulness of the keyboard? Do you use it instead of the stylus often?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been making a point of trying several input methods, the handwriting recognistion is fantastic for me for long text inputs (now that I've told it how I do my r, n, m and h letters - you can pick your favourite letter shapes this is quite handy if you notice it getting confused a lot). Handwriting recognition however works best on whole/real words, and actually is more accurate on a whole screen of text than 2 words, must help it get context better. However for entering web urls it's a nightmare, symbols seem to always come out as s/I ?!!? so for this I fall back to either the onscreen keyboard or physical keyboard.

I have found personally that it is more comfortable to hold/browse for extended periods on time with the keyboard pulled out. It seems more balanced in my hands. And as a consequence I tend to use the real keyboard for web based stuff.

For emailing I'm still falling back to the handwriting option, til I get an annoying difficult word or abbreviation, then I'll flip to the real keyboard, then back to handwriting, as then no onscreen clicks are required while it loads up the on screen keyboard (can take a few seconds sometimes, and I KNOW I'll want to flip back straight after).

So anyway, thats my 6p-worth after a 3 weeks of excessive forum-ing on my XDA2s variant.

Hope it helped

Jarrod44w

Jarrod44w

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys, gr8 reveiws/ discn and ans lots of my questions.

One that i wantd to ask.

Does the radio stack work ok? Any dramas?

I know it was a prob with some of the early qtek's (like 7070). Had a 7070 and got sick of calls dropping just prior to answering due to a "technical issue".

Has this been fixed in the later generation phones?

R u gettg as good recept as a dedicatd ph (as opposd to a combinatn device).

Apprec yr advice
Jarrod

Edited by Jarrod44w, 19 January 2005 - 12:12 AM.

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hermes

I've been making a point of trying several input methods, the handwriting recognistion is fantastic for me for long text inputs (now that I've told it how I do my r, n, m and h letters - you can pick your favourite letter shapes this is quite handy if you notice it getting confused a lot).  Handwriting recognition however works best on whole/real words, and actually is more accurate on a whole screen of text than 2 words, must help it get context better.  However for entering web urls it's a nightmare, symbols seem to always come out as s/I ?!!? so for this I fall back to either the onscreen keyboard or physical keyboard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, thanks. I reckon I'll be the same. I've been around computers so long that my handwriting has degraded to the point that I strugle to read it! Seriously! So I was in a little doubt over whether the phone would be able to work with it.

You've really answered my question by not saying that it's a pointless gimmic! Just need to wait for some stock to arrive now!!

Dade

Dade

Phone Edition Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN
The M2000 should be back in stock with Orange today.

I have heard officially that there are no plans to withdraw the M2000.

Independent device reviews: Tracy And Matt's Blog

philgriffiths

philgriffiths

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yay Orange!

"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." - Ernest Hemingway

MrOrangeShop

MrOrangeShop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
I'm Orange staff and have been waiting for an M2000 since I put my order in which was in November.

I have to say that Orange have been making sure customers get them before staff do which I suppose is a good thing for the customers.

They are in stock now and mine should be getting sent out immediately. Get on your phones now people... be warned though... retentions ain't going to be giving fantastic deals on them yet as they know they'll be able to shift them anyway.

RussellH

RussellH

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Devices:HTC TYTN II
Still no stock according to Orange website. Am still awaiting call back about my replacement.

MrOrangeShop

MrOrangeShop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
I'm working tomorrow so I will have a look on the intranet to see what the problem could be.
I'm still waiting for mine... I'm staff and keep getting the same story that customer's have been getting... it'll be here next week. I am begining to think that is what HTC have been telling Orange. You'd think that they'd tell staff the truth so I support their belief that theyve been expecting it in any minute for weeks.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

I'm working tomorrow so I will have a look on the intranet to see what the problem could be.
I'm still waiting for mine... I'm staff and keep getting the same story that customer's have been getting... it'll be here next week. I am begining to think that is what HTC have been telling Orange. You'd think that they'd tell staff the truth so I support their belief that theyve been expecting it in any minute for weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey MrOrangeShop, may have been HTC to begin with but the new batch of T-Mobile MDA IIIs have reached OneStopPhoneShop and I expect HTC are producing batches for all providers (ie, when T-Mobile get more Blue Angels so do O2 and Orange...). Could be wrong of course but it seems a coincidence that at the same time word of the new batch arriving for testing at Orange comes out, OneStop finally get the MDA III in...

MrOrangeShop

MrOrangeShop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Being Shop staff I get offered different handsets to call centre staff at different prices. I've had an M2000 (FOC) on internal order since November and ain't got it yet. Should be in soon though... as I said I will find out what I can next time I'm working.

MrOrangeShop

MrOrangeShop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Plenty stock assigned to new contracts and 28 day replacements... none assigned to upgrades.

walks17

walks17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My contect finished today, I really want one of these super phones. I called Orange and they said that they had the phone in and they have been allocated to people already.

PISSED :D

ps I'm finally giving up everyday 50 after 3 years on that great tariff. I said to Orange I was leaving and have been offered the phone for £60 and a price matched 3 500min xnet contract - but no texts... what do you think? good deal or not?

Chaser81

Chaser81

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Devices:HTC One
  • Twitter:@@Chaser81
@Dade

You still using your M2000 as your main phone or has the novelty worn off yet? :D

Phone-ography:

Current: iPhone 4

Past: iPhone 3G, iPhone, HTC TyTn II, HTC Touch, Nokia N95, Motorola Z8, Qtek 8500, T-Mobile MDA Vario, SonyEricsson W900i, SPV C550, SonyEricsson K750i, Nokia 9300, I-Mate Jam, C500, Moto V600, SonyEricsson P900, P800, Treo 600, SPV e200, Nokia 1100, Nokia 6230, SonyEricsson K700i, T610, Nokia 7650, SonyEricsson T68, T29, Moto T250, Nokia 8310, Samsung A100, SPV Classic, Moto V50, Nokia 7110, Vodafone EuroTel

Stress is when you wake up screaming and then realise you havent fallen asleep yet!

Dade

Dade

Phone Edition Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN
I still use the M2000. Its the only phone I use now.

Independent device reviews: Tracy And Matt's Blog

philgriffiths

philgriffiths

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I use mine as my only phone. When i first got it I thought i would have to buy a second phone for nights out and stuff but at the moment i really havent got the need. Might buy something nice and small closer to the summer but right now i'm as happy as a pig in 'that mess that pigs leave' :D with my M2000

witch-queen

witch-queen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Computers
  • Devices:SPV M5000
Ok so I've had my M2000 since November's release and am very pleased with it's performance and would never now go back to an ordinary mobile. BUT I am having major problems with the bluetooth and wondered if anyone else is having the same problem.

When I turn on my headset (Motorola) sometimes the headset icon comes on in the task bar on the phone. This means that, even if the screen is keylocked, every time the signal strength changes the screen comes alive and if the phone is in my pocket/handbag the buttons get pressed, or if I'm in the car with it in the cradle then the backlight goes on and off every 2 mins. Ok in daylight but really distracting at night.

My other problem is when the headset icon does not come on. If I receive an incoming call then the headset activates and I take the call but when the call ends it does not go off and the above senario starts. However if the icon is not on I cannot make an outgoing call using the headset because it does not connect.

I have contacted Orange and they have placed me in the queue for a replacement phone because their tech. guys know less about the M2000 that I do and don't know any other answer. But having already waited over a month I have been told that untill someone else sends one back and it is refurbished there will not be a replacement available for me. The have offered a Sony Ericson temp replacement but that is not exactly compareable.

I also contacted HTC who advides a hard reset (useless) or I return it to them at my own cost for repair.

Strange but I thought I paid Orange Insurance for a reason!

rs200tez

rs200tez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well - just thought I'd give you a history of my quest for an M2000.

I have an SPV E200 with a "service provider" since 06/02/04 ..... I pay the insurance on top of my 200 tariff just incase of any problems.

In November the joystick action button stopped responding and the "service provider" replaced the phone with a new shiny one - thankyou very much (cost me an extra £15 for the hassle despite the insurance I pay each month).

Unfortunately the number 3, 4 and 6 keys would stick every time they were pressed on the new E200. I tried to live with it for a couple of weeks but decided enough was enough. So I called the "service provider" again and they sent me another new E200 - great - sorted. Ummm - NO :x the return key and the 6 key stick all the time.

Again I tried to live with it but it is soooooo annoying. Called the "service provider" again and told them I wanted to cancel the remaining of my 12 months contract because they could'nt provide me with a decent phone - depite paying insurance and an extra £30.

The nice lady on the phone put me through to disconnections who said they would upgrade me for free ...... and I could choose a new phone. So I looked on the "service provider" website and saw the M2000 and thought wow. I called back and asked for the SPV M2000 and they said OK. I was soooo happy - all the hassle seemed worthwhile.

After 6 weeks of waiting the "service provider" said they would call me when the M2000 was in stock - I called again. The reply was "they are in stock" (03/02/05).

The man at the "service provider" said someone would call me within 2 days to arrange delivery -nobody called.

Today (07/02/05) the "service provider" tell me that the M2000 has not been in stock in 2005 at all yet. I find that difficult to believe as my colleague at work came in today with a brand spanking new M2000 from a central business shop.

I called the "service provider" again and they said "the stock of M2000's are for new customers only" and that I would have to wait at least 4 weeks for the next delivery - but if they have too many new customers they wont guarantee one for me - an existing customer of 5 years.

I realise that I'm small fish in the "service provider" eyes - but should I kick up a fuss? I'm not the kind of person who complains - but I feel let down - and a little confused why I pay mobile phone insurance????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users