Dade's M2000 Review

Guest Dade

Guest Pondrew

Unfortunately I don't think there Orange M2000 roms, realeased or otherwise, include Windows Media Player 10.

From what I understand only the latest Qtek, Imate, Dangaard and Asian O2 roms have Windows Media Player 10.

Guest Touch Screen Junkie

Hi again,

How do I upgrade the Bluetooth stack to 3900 then?

Cheers,

Harv

What program or action locked it up? I've never had that happen... wait... yes I have but only in Bluetooth manager before I upgraded my Blue Angel to bluetooth stack 3500 (and subsequently 3900).

Could it be the software you are using?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everything you need to know is here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Pondrew, you're a good fella.

You peeps have been great so far, I'm relatively new to this internet forum business, but this one seems to be superb.

I'm honoured to be part of it. :)

I'll check the upgrade out and see if it helps with my TomTom connection probs - The GPS device doesn't seem to keep its pairing, even though it's in the list of paired devices, I have to fiddle with the GPS settings on the M2000 within TomTom. Or I have to soft reset. This means that I lose time on my journeys cos I have to wait for the satellites to show up on the TomTom.

Do you think the BT upgrade will help?

Guest Pondrew
Do you think the BT upgrade will help?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should do, be wary though as you'll lose everything installed and saved onto your device (it does a hard reset). And if you install a different rom rather then just the bluetooth stack you'll lose your operator specific settings...

And if you install a different rom rather then just the bluetooth stack you'll lose your operator specific settings...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assume you mean stuff like the mms/sms settings?

What about all the programs that come as standard on the Orange M2000, like Album, xBackup etc.?

Sorry to be thick but what's actually included in operator specific settings?

Guest Pondrew
I assume you mean stuff like the mms/sms settings?

What about all the programs that come as standard on the Orange M2000, like Album, xBackup etc.?

Sorry to be thick but what's actually included in operator specific settings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I can only speak from experience of the T-Mobile and Imate roms but as I understand it Album and xBackup are pieces of software included by the manufacturers HTC and so are found on all roms.

Don't know if there is any software unique to Orange. Maybe someone else can tell you...

EDIT: Just realised I didn't actually answer your question. The operator specific settings include MMS, GPRS, WAP, voicemail, favourites, etc. There's also small branding such as the bootup screen and operator name appearing in the Phone app.

Edited by Pondrew

Guest theanarch1st

Orange also has the Downloads program to allow for updates (don't see why as orange rarely update things they make it seems and even then it won't be a rom update)

other than that I haven't missed anything from the Imate rom thats meant to be in the Orange rom (tho the imate rom doesn't have the Pdf or Ppt viewer but thats available on xda-developers so its all good really.

And if you install a different rom rather then just the bluetooth stack you'll lose your operator specific settings...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've upgraded the radio and bluestack as per the instructions on XDA-Developers.com and eveything went smoothly (or so I thought)

until I did the obligatory soft reset.

Now I get an error message upon startup:

"Cannot find 'storage' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename and all the required libraries are available."

If I click OK the message disappears after a while, and some things run OK but generally the device is not working properly anymore.

I've just clicked start>Programs and it's frozen up on me...

HELP :roll:

Guest Pondrew
I've upgraded the radio and bluestack as per the instructions on XDA-Developers.com and eveything went smoothly (or so I thought)

until I did the obligatory soft reset.

Now I get an error message upon startup:

"Cannot find 'storage' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename and all the required libraries are available."

If I click OK the message disappears after a while, and some things run OK but generally the device is not working properly anymore.

I've just clicked start>Programs and it's frozen up on me...

HELP :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't sound great. Don't recognise the problem though.

I'd recommend reinstalling the rom. This is where you'd have to make a choice. Ditch the Orange software/rom in favour of one of the latest, easily obtainable and installable 1.40 roms featured on the wiki pages or locate an SPV M2000 rom. If you go with the former you'll have to enter your GPRS and MMS settings manually (thankfully readily provided by Modaco's settings repository).

Think there was a link to a newish Orange SPV M2000 rom somewhere on Modaco. I'll try and locate the thread for you...

EDIT: Here's an SPV M2000 rom should you decide you DON'T want to go for one of the other roms -> M2000 rom thread

Edited by Pondrew

Doesn't sound great. Don't recognise the problem though.

I'd recommend reinstalling the rom. This is where you'd have to make a choice. Ditch the Orange software/rom in favour of one of the latest, easily obtainable and installable 1.40 roms featured on the wiki pages or locate an SPV M2000 rom. If you go with the former you'll have to enter your GPRS and MMS settings manually (thankfully readily provided by Modaco's settings repository).

Think there was a link to a newish Orange SPV M2000 rom somewhere on Modaco. I'll try and locate the thread for you...

EDIT: Here's an SPV M2000 rom should you decide you DON'T want to go for one of the other roms -> M2000 rom thread

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again Pondrew but I've decided it's better to leave it.

I would recommend to anyone thinking of UPGRADING ROMs to AVOID DOING IT AT ALL COSTS. Unless of course you know exactly what you're doing and/or you know that it will fix a specific problem you're having.

Don't get me wrong, I love this forum, you lot are great, really helpful and technically aware, and there are links to great sites like XDA Developers.com - which explains how to do everything -

BUT: most of this upgrading type stuff is really not necessary, in my opinion. You have to bear in mind that the people who run these kinds of fora completely understand what they're doing and therefore know what to do and expect if things go wrong - and believe me, things went wrong for me, as I explained above

THANK THE LORD I'D DONE AN X-Backup, as everything is now back to how it was before, after doing a restore.

SO, IN SHORT - PLEASE THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE MESSING ABOUT AND UPGRADING THE ROMS ON YOUR BLUE ANGEL AS THE BENEFITS MAY NOT OUTWEIGH THE RISKS OF SERIOUS PROBLEMS OCCURRING ON YOUR HANDSET

Guest Kryten 2X4B-523P

Follow up to my Question regarding WMP10 - Recieved my M2000 today (Monday 11th July), and despite being told by Orange UK themselves that it would only have WMP9 installed, it has WMP10!!! ROM info is...

Operator Version: 5.40.1.179

ROM version: 1.40.00 WWE

ROM Date: 03/10/05

Radio Version: 1.06.02

Protocol Version: 1337.38

ExtROM Version: 1.40.179 WWE

Jon

Guest Pondrew
Follow up to my Question regarding WMP10 - Recieved my M2000 today (Monday 11th July), and despite being told by Orange UK themselves that it would only have WMP9 installed, it has WMP10!!!  ROM info is...

Jon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Orange are now shipping M2000s with WMP10 it'll be quite a coup. Where did you get your device from?

Guest ogganova
If Orange are now shipping M2000s with WMP10 it'll be quite a coup. Where did you get your device from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I received this phone yesterday and can confirm that the one's being shipped direct from Orange do indeed have WMP10 installed.

side note.. have found all your posts here very useful as a lurker the last few days..

Anybody here had experience of using Skype over Wifi. Set this all up last night, yet Skype voice quality was very poor. My Wifi signal strength was around half, and couldn't get that any higher. Is this a common issue, or possibly just my wifi connection playing up?

Thanks

Og

Guest Pondrew
I received this phone yesterday and can confirm that the one's being shipped direct from Orange do indeed have WMP10 installed.

side note.. have found all your posts here very useful as a lurker the last few days..

Anybody here had experience of using Skype over Wifi.  Set this all up last night, yet Skype voice quality was very poor.  My Wifi signal strength was around half, and couldn't get that any higher.  Is this a common issue, or possibly just my wifi connection playing up?

Thanks

Og

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) We do our best.

Not used Skype myself (yet?) so not much help I can offer I'm afraid.

:) We do our best.

Not used Skype myself (yet?) so not much help I can offer I'm afraid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used Skype the other day on my M2000 with the same signal strength as you, and had 2 conversations of varying quality actually.

I think it might depend on the quality of the other person's microphone. The first conversation was like a low freequency low bitrate mp3, really tinny and echoey. The second was considerably clearer.

It's probably dependent on the weakest link in the chain. The low quality call was from my mate on his VAIO laptop, using his own wireless router, whereas the higher quality conversation was on a desktop with fixed line broadband.

I think we might have to accept that it won't be the same quality as a proper phone call and be grateful that it works at all, I suppose. Remember, all this is still fledgling technology really.

Guest justsomeoneelseagain
Follow up to my Question regarding WMP10 - Recieved my M2000 today (Monday 11th July), and despite being told by Orange UK themselves that it would only have WMP9 installed, it has WMP10!!!  ROM info is...

Jon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hello all,

..hmm, so how does wmp10 differ to wmp9 ? should i damaged my m2000 so i get a wmp10 version replacement ?

Guest ogganova

I wonder if it's the throughput on my Wifi to the M2000. I call through my PC which is ethernet to broadband to various either fixed lines, or other PC's and the call quality is excellent. Is there anyway to test the speed of your connection? The other thing could be just that the processor limites the speed that data is sent or received. Sorry thinking out loud there :)

Guest fraser
The other thing could be just that the processor limites the speed that data is sent or received.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is in fact the limit, or perhaps the speed of writing to the storage area or SD-card. Downloads from my own webserver on a local network don't seem to go quite as fast as they might. Just an observation, not exactly scientific. No hastles with streaming though, but I've only had limited experience, mostly audio. Microsoft hasn't updated their WiFi media page in six months! Anyone know of any other sites that work on the phone (except trailers, yawn)? And why is this the most thread-jacked topic on the planet...? :)

Edited by fraser

Guest travisb

Must admit I've no complaints using Skype on my M2000 via my home wifi. Get good clarity of calls, even using Skype Out to phone my brother's landline in Aus (broadband hasn't reached his particular bit of North Queensland yet!).

One thing I do have hassle with when connected to my network is using Internet Explorer - keeps going via GPRS

Guest fraser
One thing I do have hassle with when connected to my network is using Internet Explorer - keeps going via GPRS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That can be changed in the network options, under the "advanced" section. "Programs that connect to the internet should automatically connect using:" and you get a drop down list for GPRS/work network etc.