Questions (thought it best to make a topic about questions)

Guest theanarch1st

Guest pragmatic

Hi All,

First post here so please treat me gently. My question is (I hope) simple but I've been mucking about with my SPV M2000 for a few days now and can't suss this out. Quite simply I need to connect to my POP3 email account via WiFi where available but falling back to GPRS where it's not.

I've seen 'Outlook E-mail' under messaging but can't get this going. I need a step by step guide to setting up what's needed. I have succeeded in setting up a WiFi connection and downloading emails that way, but what I've done seems to set up a seperate account from 'Outlook'. Any help most appreciated. Thanks. BTW I know my mail server name, username, password etc.

Guest dazza12

There should be a program called Wireless manager on your phone. If you click on WLAN, it will make the WiFi connection the default, and will fall back to GPRS if WiFi is not available. To check this is the case, tap the 'W' icon in the taskbar, and it will confirm this in a popup.

The Outlook Email account is exactly what it says. If you run Outlook or Outlook Express on your PC, it will sync emails in your PC inbox with your phone. You can't receive emails separately using the Outlook Email account.

If you simply want to receive emails on your phone, you do need to set up a separate account. It would appear that you have already done this, so you've done it correctly.

Guest Wozbacca

Has anyone tried the RealONE player for PocketPC?

I tried this with my old iPaq h5550 and it was genius at playing southpark episodes encoded to realmedia. tried it with the ipaq h5450 and the sound was fine but there was no video.

I'd be greatful if somone could post any comments.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RussellH

Just a quick update on Fonix. After using it for the trial period, I've found it hard to get on with. It doesn't seem to recognise what I'm asking for half the time. When the trial ran out, I didn't buy the product. Have instead gone onto Microsoft's Voice Command software. Whilst this is also very temperamental, it does work better than Fonix for me. I have to remember to pronounce things with an American accent, as it works better this way. Also, the MS product will also open other programmes, and will tell you your upcoming appointments. Fonix didn't do that!

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update on Fonix.  After using it for the trial period, I've found it hard to get on with.  It  doesn't seem to recognise what I'm asking for half the time.  When the trial ran out, I didn't buy the product.  Have instead gone onto Microsoft's Voice Command software.  Whilst this is also very temperamental, it does work better than Fonix for me.  I have to remember to pronounce things with an American accent, as it works better this way.  Also, the MS product will also open other programmes, and will tell you your upcoming appointments.  Fonix didn't do that!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had the same problem with Fonix, several people have suggested MS Voice Command, but I'm holding out to see if the latest BT patch allows MSVC to work over BT headset (fongers crossed as this'll sort out the legal car issues)

First post here so please treat me gently. My question is (I hope) simple but I've been mucking about with my SPV M2000 for a few days now and can't suss this out. Quite simply I need to connect to my POP3 email account via WiFi where available but falling back to GPRS where it's not.

I've seen 'Outlook E-mail' under messaging but can't get this going. I need a step by step guide to setting up what's needed. I have succeeded in setting up a WiFi connection and downloading emails that way, but what I've done seems to set up a seperate account from 'Outlook'. Any help most appreciated. Thanks. BTW I know my mail server name, username, password etc.

I've got this working on my XDA2s (same phone, different branding)

You have to set yourself up with a new network definition, or modify the existing GPRS one, I felt safer making a new one. You'll need your GPRS settings though, so get them first. And make sure you can get wifi to connect first two.

The wireless manager isnt entriely as reliable as they'd have you beleive. Several of us have used this method now and it works just fine!

Go to Start > Settings > Connections Tab > Connections icon

Select the Advanced Tab

Select the button called "Select Networks"

this is where you set your preferred connections for internet/private network access.

Press the NEW button

Give your settings a name (I called mine "wifi (gprs backup)" )

Under the Proxy settings tab, tick the "This network connects to the internet" option

if you need a proxy, put the config in (my home wireless broadband doesnt)

This gives you the wifi connectivity

Next go to the Modem tab

Click New

follow through the wizard entering your new GPRS setting, give these a name different to the standard (e.g. I called my "My backup grps internet") can't tell you these settings as I'm on o2 not orange!

Having done this select OK (top right) Make sure this setting setup is selected as your Internet option (top drop down box)

OK these settings, then make sure in your wireless manager that WIFI is your preferred option.

This will now behave in the equivalent fashion of "Dial whenever network connection not available" that regular windows users are used to.

I spent a while working this one out by myself on the first weekend, but have since read others being advised of the same setup in other forums.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest its_millertime22

Can anyone tell me if the phone is supposed to turn on whilst plugged in to the power (orange light on) without a battery in?

o2 Manchester gave me their last XDA IIs without a battery...

:cry:

Guest blackhorse
Can anyone tell me if the phone is supposed to turn on whilst plugged in to the power (orange light on) without a battery in?

o2 Manchester gave me their last XDA IIs without a battery...

:cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O2 not give two batterys like Orange?

Guest its_millertime22
O2 not give two batterys like Orange?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nope! tried to ask them to throw one in / give me a deal cos of what orange offer, but they said they don't even have them in as extras to buy [yet?] - guy said cos they're different to the xda ii batteries.

still, it's not supposed to turn on is it.. just want to check the actual unit isn't faulty - box looked a little suspicious (not to mention again the fact of the missing battery!)

Am now looking to make my M2000 legal in the car.  Phil said he was planning to get one from Parrot.  I want to get the Driveblue model that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.  Just want to check it's fully compatable, and that I can make calls without having to touch the phone.  The device doesn't appear to have a way of assigning voice tags to contacts.  I know there's software available like Fonix phone dial, but don't know if they will work in conjunction with the M2000 or the Parrot Driveblue.  Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't quote me on this, but I was under the impression that you don't actually need voice dialling, you just need to be not holding the phone in your hand whilst dialling. Therefore, if you have it in some sort of cradle and just tap the screen to dial, you're legal.

Guest ichilton

Hi,

There is another voice dialing software here:

http://vitotechnology.com/en/products/voicedialer.html

I just got my M2000 yesterday though, so I have not tried any of them yet.

Interesting though, as Orange are advertising it as having voice activated dialing, maybe they should tell us how to do it? :lol:

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset..._m2000/features

--ian