A feature i'd like to see...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

I'd love to have, rather than a sound for intellipad / dialer when a key is pressed, it would vibrate on keypress instead.

That would be sweeeeeeeet....

I'd also like an easier way to compose a new SMS / choose a contact, that's a pain atm...

P

What is actually writing text messages like?

Does it have hand writing recognition using the stylus or an on screen keyboard?

im still in deliberation between this little beast and the M2000.

/me is all confused :?

What exactly is the problem when it comes to texting? What makes it difficult?

I do quite alot of it so it would be quite an important factor if I am to buy the Jam. Doing it one-handed texting would be important as well.

the best way i have found to chosse a contact to txt msg is to use the phone button, select a name, hold down on it and choose 'send text message' option. much better than fiddling around within mail program.

...thanks Metoo...any idea where to get the beta version...it says the current version does not work on second edition...

Cheers

Nick

You have to email the author for a copy.

Guest TigerNet

...I have now got the beta of this program - so far, I think it might be the answer...there are someting like 30 odd speed dials you can set. If you click and hold one of these (or the mobile icon in the contacts view) you are given the option to send a text message...

...will keep you informed...

Guest Mike Wagstaff

I'm working on a little dialler app myself. The main things I'm aiming for are...

- Faster / more responsive than the built-in dialler

- Bigger buttons

- Vibrate on keypress

So far, I'm about 60% there with the code. I have the actual predictive text dialling (and keypress vibration) more or less sorted, but quite a bit of work remains on the interface.

The program will also be freeware and open source (C#), so no need to worry about wasting any hard-earned cash. :)

Guest Mike Wagstaff
@Mike...sounds great!!! I would be up for testing if you need anyone...

Thanks for the offer. As soon as I have something reasonably useful (hopefully a couple more days at most), I'll make it available for everyone to try out. :)

Guest Mike Wagstaff

Little bit later than planned, but hopefully worth the wait...

Attached is an early alpha version of D9, a replacement for the built-in dialler. The main features are:

* Predictive text contact lookup

* Fast

* Big (thumb-friendly) buttons

* Free :)

Source code, a website and various other bits and pieces can come later (I really do need to get some sleep before work today!). In the meantime, however, please do feel free to try it out and give it a go.

I'm looking for feedback, so please let me know what you think!

Edit: The installer was missing a couple of DLL's, so I've added them in and updated the setup program. If you're having problems getting D9 to dial, try this version instead.

Edit #2: I've updated the installer again to include two separate setup programs, one for D9 itself and one for the pre-requisites.

post-371-1105073127_thumb.jpg

D9.zip

Edited by Mike Wagstaff

Guest Mike Wagstaff

Please do let me how you get on. I'd be happy just to hear that it loads on your devices, given that I've only got my own to test on. :D

Also, if you don't like the interface, all the images are easily replaceable (they're all standard GIF's), so the app is nicely skinnable.

If you do like it, I'd recommend assigning to a hardware button. Personally, I have the contacts button assigned to D9, with the calendar button assigned to OK/Close.

Finally, to avoid the delay in D9 having to sync the contacts when it starts up, I recommend closing it using the hang up button (or clicking the "x") which will simply minimise it. I have around 140 contacts on my device, and the sync time is only a couple of seconds (the initial loading time is mainly down to .NET), so it should be reasonably snappy regardless.

Edited by Mike Wagstaff

Guest Mike Wagstaff

D'oh! Looks like a few DLL's aren't being copied across by the installer, meaning that the dialling functions aren't working.

To correct this, you can either copy the DLL's I've attached to this post into the \Program Files\D9 directory, or run the updated Setup program (also attached). The new version of the setup program complains about a missing OpenNet CF CAB file, but seems to work fine. I'll investigate that but in the meantime, the latest version should allow you to dial! :D

DLLs.zip

D9.zip

Edited by Mike Wagstaff

Guest pvenkat
D'oh! Looks like a few DLL's aren't being copied across by the installer, meaning that the dialling functions aren't working.

To correct this, you can either copy the DLL's I've attached to this post into the \Program Files\D9 directory, or run the updated Setup program (also attached). The new version of the setup program complains about a missing OpenNet CF CAB file, but seems to work fine. I'll investigate that but in the meantime, the latest version should allow you to dial! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike,

I installed D9 on my SX56. It seems to work fine for me. But, I do have a small issue though. Everytime I press a button, the device vibrates and it is very annoying. Is there a way to disable the vibrate funciton.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Wishlist:

Mapping to phone button

Swap sizes between text button and medium (m h etc.) indicator

Clear should maybe be 'backspace' or hold to clear?

Option to display First Last instead of Last, First

Good work tho :D

P