GPS on the JAM

Guest Blakey

Guest Blakey

Hi,

Has anyone tried using BT GPS connected to the JAM whilst not powered by a car battery? i.e. taking their GPS system and JAM out walking/mountain biking and seeing how long it lasts?

I'm definitely hugely tempted by one of these beauties and I have a BT GPS and would want to be able to use the JAM as a GPS device when out cycling. I'd hope it would last a good 5+ hours of continuous work, but is that realistic?

Many thanks for the info!

Blakey

Guest Blakey

SD GPS!? I didn't even know they had them! Still, I've already splashed out on my BT GPS dongle so that's not all that important to me I guess.

The question is, do you think the JAM would last, say, 5 hours doing BT GPS running something like Memory Map?

Otherwise I'm not sure if it's necessarily worth my while upgrading to the JAM, at least for GPS purposes...

Cheers for the help!

Blakey

Guest Paul [MVP]

5 hours, hmmm, I guess the only way to be sure would be to test it.

I'll give it a 5 hour run this weekend (with memory map!) :)

I assume you'll have phone radio etc. turned on too?

P

Guest Blakey

Yeah, I guess so. I'm currently owning an E200 which I take out on my bike - with a BT headphone tucked into my ear under my crash helmet. So I'd expect to still use the same set up, but have GPS running too.

I'd point out that 5 hours is absolutely extreme - I'd be more likely to go out for about 2 or 3.

Cheers for the help Paul!

Blakey

Guest Dumdidum

Hi

I am using my Magician with a Bluetooth-GPS and I can use it around 5-6 hours! Unfortunatly the Bluetooth itself is very power-consumtioning.

HTC Magician Rocks!

Sven

Yeah, I got out this weekend on my bike. 4 hours of cycling with GPS running on my Fortuna clip on BT GPS dongle and Memory Map on the JAM. I also took just one call in that time. Ended up with in excess of 60% battery life still available! So (without being scientific about this at all) it looks like approximately 10% of battery life per hour of GPS for me. Superb!

Will continue to update this thread each week as I go out biking and test my JAM and its battery life WRT GPS.

Cheers

Blakey

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Boris_modaco

I have done a travel of 2:40. I have receive 2 sms and send 1, and I've receive a phone call of 2 minutes.

At the begining, full charge of my S100, backlight to 50%

At the arrival, 65% remaining.

I use Tomtom 3 with an Haicom 204 Bluettoth.

• 1 month later...
Guest fallwood

Did leeds to london at the weekend nearly 5 hours (bad traffic), using tomtom bluetooth gps receiver with tomtom navigator 3 , backlight on lowest setting and volume up full still had 45% battery life left when we arrived.

Guest belfast-biker

FWIW, I bought battery extender via ebay for £6.99 including postage, and a 2nd clone battery for about $34 from brando.

Having an extra battery is a godsend in the wild, or if really lazy, and the battery extender uses 4xAA batteries to charge the JAM on the fly, apparently you get about 3-5 charges out of a set of batteries.

It even charges (slower) with the device turned on, so wonder how long it would last if you velcro the extender to the JAM permamently and leave it on? Must try that out.... :D