The Ultimate Audiovox SMT5600 to Cingular guide!

Guest BeyondtheTech

Guest BeyondtheTech

I HAVE DONE IT!

I love this phone so much that I decided to create an easy-to-use, step-by-step guide on how to convert a fully AT&T Wireless-branded and personalized Audiovox SMT5600 into a full-fledged Cingular Smartphone.

The explicit GPRS/WAP settings for use with the Media Works data plan has been corrected from previous threads and fully tested to be operational.

The zip file comes complete with the verified instructional guide in PDF form, replacement banner graphics (made by yours truly), and utilities to modify the registry and settings.

Thanks to everyone on the forums who made this guide possible.

Now, everyone, switch over from your buggy MPx200/MPx220, go get the SMT5600, and use this guide!

http://www.beyondthetech.com/downloads/pho...600Cingular.zip

Enjoy it, everyone!

Guest trever
Good job!  Now if someone could only make one for T-mobile USA!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here ya go. Just download BeyondtheTech's ZIP file containing the necessary files and instructions. Just replace the cingular_startup.gif file with the t-mobile_startup.gif file and the branding_cingular.gif file with the branding_t-mobile.gif file. Copy these files to the specified paths within the instructions. Also specify the new T-mobile \path\filename within the screenchanger.exe program when run and also the registry when edited. Click here for http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=4861>GPRS settings. Your APN may vary from either: wap.voicestream.com (WAP), internet2.voicestream.com (non-VPN) or internet3.voicestream.com (VPN).

post-30642-1104918573_thumb.gif

t-mobile_startup.gif

post-30642-1104918561_thumb.gif

branding_t-mobile.gif

Edited by trever

Guest jleecong
Good job!  Now if someone could only make one for T-mobile USA!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been done. I used it when I got my phone almost 2 months ago.

Guest jleecong
Click here for GPRS settings.  Your APN may vary from either: wap.voicestream.com (WAP), internet2.voicestream.com (non-VPN) or internet3.voicestream.com (VPN).

Those are way old and as far as I know don't reflect T-Mobile blocking port 80 on the routers. This is the thread I did with the new correct settings.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=ST&f=6...t=0#entry480156

• 2 weeks later...

I unlocked my 5600 and am currently using T-mobile but i can't send any text messages because the service center number in my phone is wrong, does anyone know how to change that number?

Guest awarner [MVP]
Now, everyone, switch over from your buggy MPx200

The MPX200 is probably still the most stable Smartphone availabe :D

Nice job on doing a guide though :D

Guest bobblah
I unlocked my 5600 and am currently using T-mobile but i can't send any text messages because the service center number in my phone is wrong, does anyone know how to change that number?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can go to settings -> Phone -> Call Options

Once there change you SMS Service center to:

+12063130004

Done and reboot, try to send msgs again

You can go to settings -> Phone -> Call Options

Once there change you SMS Service center to:

+12063130004

Done and reboot, try to send msgs again

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm, i that setting was already set to that number.... is there any other setting that could be wrong?

hmm, i that setting was already set to that number.... is there any other setting that could be wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure T-Mobile enabled sms for you? I had a problem before where they even thought they enabled it, but after the fourth call they connected me to some more techy people that found an issue with provisioning or something... It turned out that it was a problem on their side and not mine. I did tell them I was using a phone they don't sell also...

Guest jimmymacv

I just switched to Cingular from ATT using my SMT5600 so I really appreciate the instructions you gave on enabling internet and MMS. Thanks! I have a question though -- voicemail notification is now appearing as a text message from "05" When I get a new message, when I delete a message, when I save a message -- anything with voicemail sends one text message to my phone "05".

Is there any way to fix this?

Is the SMS service center for Cingular +14047259000 ?

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest mobile-distortion

I had posted two files in the downloads section a while back. They should be the same info you are looking for plus more. I no longer have my '5600 and visit the forums every week or so lurking for new phones/info ... so please no more emails about this....I still get 2-3 emails a week asking for them....

links:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=dscrip...etails&f_id=677

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=dscrip...etails&f_id=676

Hope this helps :)

|d|

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cfjgrind

Does anyone know how to enter the "\" symbol from within the phone keypad while using the ScreenChanger.exe program from the Smt5600Cingular.zip package.. in particular its this step from within the PDF guide...

mMode screen at startup: Copy the provided cingular_startup.gif file to the

\Storage\windows folder. Copy the Screen Changer and QuickReset utilities to \Storage\Program

Files. Launch Screen Changer on your Smartphone. Change Boot Screen 2 to

\Storage\windows\cingular_startup.gif. Click on Options, then Update Screens, then Quit.

Launch QuickReset to view and verify the new startup graphic.

I can't type the "\" or the underscore "_" needed for cingular_startup.gif

Great Guide....I have have been fighting with the "Blue" side of Cingular for a week now saying that I just want to convert to the "Orange" side. They kept stating that I had a AT&T branded phone and it won't work. They just want to sell more hardware from my perspective.

Well I found a spare Cingluar SIM card and to prove my phone was unlocked I went to a Cingular store and explained my situation to the manager. He let me borrow one of his working SIM's and put it into my AT&T branded SMT5600 and it worked just fine on the "Orange/Cingular" network.

I was then able to convert my AT&T to Cingluar over the phone stating that I already had a Cingular phone (I lied) and they just took the MEI number and the Sim number and within 5 minutes I was good to go.

I then applied all the settings from the guide and now my phone looks Cingular. I am now getting GPRS (MEdiaNet) services unlimited for 19.95 month vs. what AT&T would charge 44.00 month.

The usefullness of this phone with unlimited networking has now doubled for me..... :)

• 2 months later...
Guest theonlyone
the link is dead.  could someone repost it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bump? did anyone ever post a similar tmobile thread?

Edited by theonlyone