Had an MPX220 for a week...

Guest Kenny-Craig

Guest Kenny-Craig

I brought it offline to upgrade from my V3 and I love it, it's being used on UK Vodafone, everything like GPRS, web, MSN Messenger, email, MMS and applications all work. Sound is fine and call quality is great. The video playback is a lot better than the MPX200 I used to have and the applications are running a lot faster. It works fine with my 1GB mini SD card and I have also purchased the Smartphone DVD software and movie playback is excellent. When I set up Activesync 3.8 it loaded, recognised my phone and synchronised all the data first time. I have set up and am using without any hassle the Motorola HS810 bluetooth headset and I am getting good range on this. The battery life on the MPX is about 3 days with high use and at the moment I have been using the phone a lot for games and MSN so that all eats in to the standby time but 3 days is cool.

I am well pleased, the offline package includes a leather carry case, personal handsfree and data cable so there is nothing more to buy. Whats even better is the phone uses the P2K connector as opposed to the mini USB on my V3 so I can use any accessories from the V600 I had when they were first around.

I would definately reccomend this phone over any others I have tried.

glad to hear you like your phone! i've had several (due to the firmware issues) and am happy with the current device. i don't think i'll use a "standard" cell phone again!

is your leather case a Motorola brand or a brand offered by another company but included with your phone? it amazes me that our European friends get a case with the phone while here in the US, we have hunt for a "quality" case. if you have pictures, please post here...

thanks!

by way the battery doesn't last 1 and half days even with normal or minmal usage, like watchin 30 minutes of video and playing 45 minutes of a game, and taking 5 pictures with flash on. Mine needs to be recharged every night so that I can barely make it through the next day.

You know what I think it is, leaving your minisd card in the phone all the time drains you battery life alot faster. test it out let me know ha tyou think

by the way I have

1.3 firm

256 Sandisk minisd

peace,

Guest machiavell1
I brought it offline to upgrade from my V3 and I love it, it's being used on UK Vodafone, everything like GPRS, web, MSN Messenger, email, MMS and applications all work. Sound is fine and call quality is great. The video playback is a lot better than the MPX200 I used to have and the applications are running a lot faster. It works fine with my 1GB mini SD card and I have also purchased the Smartphone DVD software and movie playback is excellent. When I set up Activesync 3.8 it loaded, recognised my phone and synchronised all the data first time. I have set up and am using without any hassle the Motorola HS810 bluetooth headset and I am getting good range on this. The battery life on the MPX is about 3 days with high use and at the moment I have been using the phone a lot for games and MSN so that all eats in to the standby time but 3 days is cool.

I am well pleased, the offline package includes a leather carry case, personal handsfree and data cable so there is nothing more to buy. Whats even better is the phone uses the P2K connector as opposed to the mini USB on my V3 so I can use any accessories from the V600 I had when they were first around.

I would definately reccomend this phone over any others I have tried.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How did you find reception and call quality compared to your V3? Interested as I am thinking of doing the same...

Also, does the phone ever freeze up whilst you are using it?

Thanks!

Guest Kenny-Craig
How did you find reception and call quality compared to your V3? Interested as I am thinking of doing the same...

Also, does the phone ever freeze up whilst you are using it?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To answer all the questions in one post;

Yes the case was a Motorola genuine accessory as was the hands free and the data cable.

I Charged my phone on Wednesday 12th Jan and I have used it on Thursday, Friday and today for about an hour and a half of calls a day, about 40 mins of video, taken approximately 10 pics with flash and used MSN messenger loads, sent about 20 texts and the phone has not been switched off overnight. I am still on two bars (60%) and I dont think I will bother to charge it tonight either, so I have no issue with battery life.

Signal quality is excellent on UK Vodafone in all areas except the lift at work where the phone only manages two bars of signal strength but other than that its fine.

The phone does not freeze up while in use and the only issue I have had is with Media Player, if I start to play an MP3 or a WMV file (not every time) and exit to the main menu without pausing playback then the next time I run Media player it wont play anything. Going in to task manager and killing the Media Player task then running Media Player again sorts this out. My MPX200 did exactly the same thing so my money is on it being a Windows OS issue as opposed to a Motorola hardware issue.

I still love the phone and it's miles more fun than the sexy looking but to be honest rather annoying V3.........

I like to think of the V3 as the blonde of phones where as the MPX220 is the Kylie :D

Edited by Kenny-Craig

Guest machiavell1

Sounds good!

Thanks for answering my questions. Have they finally improved the picture quality from the old firmware? The camera used to be pretty dreadful before!

does it have WMP10 or 9?

Guest machiavell1

Oh and one pretty important question if you don't mind

Can the alarm on the MPX220 switch the phone on from the off position? I know the other smartphones can't manage it, but I was wondering if they had tried to sort that out on the MPX220.

Could you give it a try (ie basically setting the alarm, and then switching it off to see if the phone powers itself up to sound the alarm)?

Thanks!

Guest Kenny-Craig
Oh and one pretty important question if you don't mind

Can the alarm on the MPX220 switch the phone on from the off position? I know the other smartphones can't manage it, but I was wondering if they had tried to sort that out on the MPX220.

Could you give it a try (ie basically setting the alarm, and then switching it off to see if the phone powers itself up to sound the alarm)?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, two answers I have are:

The media player version is 9

If the MPX220 is off the alarm does NOT activate or switch the phone on.

Pics will follow when I get back to my home PC where the data cable is.

Guest machiavell1
Ok, two answers I have are:

The media player version is 9

If the MPX220 is off the alarm does NOT activate or switch the phone on.

Pics will follow when I get back to my home PC where the data cable is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thought that might be the case, given the situation with the other handsets. However, I amnot sure that is necessarily going to put me off. Sounds pretty good...

Guest Kenny-Craig
Thought that might be the case, given the situation with the other handsets. However, I amnot sure that is necessarily going to put me off. Sounds pretty good...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pic of case taken with phone camera, bit out of focus but thats my shaky hands. As you all know what the data cable is I wont bother taking a pic of that.

post-105363-1105952131_thumb.jpg

Pic of case taken with phone camera, bit out of focus but thats my shaky hands. As you all know what the data cable is I wont bother taking a pic of that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How did you get hold of this mpx220? I didn't think the phone was released in the UK yet???

Guest stevem999
How did you get hold of this mpx220?  I didn't think the phone was released in the UK yet???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same thought exactly - I know it's been in the O2 catalogue for a while but none of the shops had a release date.

If it has been launched it was a very quiet release - maybe a shop selling advance stock that it wasn't meant to?

Guest bdmoore

Expansys have been selling it since last week - handset only and with Vodafone connections. They're quite expensive tho, I'm waiting for the general release!

Guest Kenny-Craig
Same thought exactly - I know it's been in the O2 catalogue for a while but none of the shops had a release date.

If it has been launched it was a very quiet release - maybe a shop selling advance stock that it wasn't meant to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What makes you think I dont have a legitimate, genuine UK release phone. I do and it is, I had an advance order for the handset placed and I am one of the first people to get a UK release of the MPX220 hardware just as I was one of the first to get an official MPX200 and one of the first to get an official V3.

I am a long standing Motorola customer since having one of the original carphones years ago, I am not a Nokia defector like everyone else and as such I like to think I get 'looked after' by being allowed to have first dibs on the hardware as it is released.

Plus I also know when the MPX PDA phone is released my name is on the first UK official box. I am looking forward to that one.

Oooh I forgot to add that I had a retail release V600 a week before the official UK release.

Edited by Kenny-Craig

Guest Kenny-Craig
thanks for posting the picture of the case... now all i have to do is figure out a way to purchase it and have it shipped to the US!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea how or where you purchase them, mine was in the box with the phone.

Guest stevem999
What makes you think I dont have a legitimate, genuine UK release phone. I do and it is, I had an advance order for the handset placed and I am one of the first people to get a UK release of the MPX220 hardware just as I was one of the first to get an official MPX200 and one of the first to get an official V3.

I am a long standing Motorola customer since having one of the original carphones years ago, I am not a Nokia defector like everyone else and as such I like to think I get 'looked after' by being allowed to have first dibs on the hardware as it is released.

Plus I also know when the MPX PDA phone is released my name is on the first UK official box. I am looking forward to that one.

Oooh I forgot to add that I had a retail release V600 a week before the official UK release.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No offence intended - it's just that everyone is waiting for O2 to get their act together and suddenly someone posts that they got one! So did you have it on advance order from O2 or Motorola or where? It would just answer the question of whether O2 are about to release it after all - if they or Moto are happy to give it to a long-standing customer then they must be happy to give it to all us 'nokia defectors'! :D

So do these phones just drop through your door or something whenever they're ready? Surely there must be more to it than you being a long time customer?

Guest Kenny-Craig

So do these phones just drop through your door or something whenever they're ready? Surely there must be more to it than you being a long time customer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by Kenny-Craig