Bluetooth streaming?

Guest evilking

Guest evilking

Is it possible to stream media to the jam over bluetooth? What is the tranfer speed of bluetooth? The wifi sd card is really expensive (£70!) so i'm hoping I could use bluetooth instead.

Guest Chaser81

I have successfully used Smartvideo through Bluetooth with my Jam, streaming TV to it without issue. I believe (depending on the bluetooth device and the maximum transfer speed of each device) that Bluetooth has a maximum transfer speed of 10MB/sec.

Guest evilking

You mean 10mb (megabit), right? Anyway the jam only really has its size and price going for it (compared to the pda2k). The camera looks worse than the vga camera of the pda2k and has half the ram. Scancom has the mda3 (pda2k) at £130 more than the mda compact (jam) on t-mobile, at £23 pounds a month. Add in a wifi card to the jam and i'm left with a £50 pound price advantage, and no option for an sd storage card (when using wifi). Of course if I can stream at a decent rate over bluetooth (11mbps minimum) then the jam will be more favourable. Anyone else?

Edited by evilking

I feel it's all down to size. Years ago, I had a HP Jornada 928 pocket pc phone and it was just too big to really use as a phone. The XDA and all its derivatives are still about the same size give or take. To my mind they are too big as phones. The JAM solves this issue. That's why I bought it.

Of course if you want to use a BT headset the size of the device in your pocket matters less - you won't look like a nob with your PPC to your ear.

Then again, will a PDA2K *fit* in your pocket?

Cheers

Blakey

Guest jharvey00

Bluetooth has a much more limited data rate (about 4Mb/sec max with 10m range for class II BT) so streaming media is not necessarily going to happen. Worth a try though...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mike-oh

I'm wanting to do this too but i'd like to know

a) how easy should it be to set up streaming and what software will i need once i've got my jam.

:lol: will this thing do the job? http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=48442

100m range sounds pretty sweet.

c) whats the difference between class I and II bluetooth? is it just down to the range?

Cheers!

Edited by mike-oh

Guest GothTeddy

Back when I experimented with a BT network, it would connect at 1Mb - so arround 750k after overheads.

Not that any phone I've used has even managed a third of that...

Sending the the Jam, I'm seeing 20kb/s.

• 2 months later...
Guest tendomentis
Back when I experimented with a BT network, it would connect at 1Mb - so arround 750k after overheads.

Not that any phone I've used has even managed a third of that...

Sending the the Jam, I'm seeing 20kb/s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used a bluetooth PAN (Class 1 - 100m) in my house to share internet and files before WiFi became widespread and I never was able to get bandwith over 728 kb/s. I think that is the actual upper speed limit for bluetooth 1.1. I remember reading that bluetooth 1.2 is supposed to use and enhanced data rate of several megabits per second (still doesn't beat an 802.11g connection though). Standard bluetooth is fast enough to steam internet radio or other low bitrate (under 128 kbps) media streaming files, but dont' count on it to stream your dvd backups to betaplayer. It just isn't fast enough for that. Skype should work though. I definately recommend using a class 1 adaptor or even looking for a bluetooth router (if they still exist).

Guest MitchellO

Bluetooth is less than 1Mbit, about 750KBit (as said). I tried this a few years ago on my iPAQ 2210 and it worked ok, but being 4m from the computer made it a bit silly for me, and it would often have to buffer. The only thing I used it for was MSN sometimes.

Guest yarod_g14

This is a touchy subject for me at present.

About a year ago (just before I upgraded to Service PAck 2 on my Main PC) I had an XDA 2(still got it). I also had an MSI PC2PC 100 M Bluetooth Dongle(still got this to).

This was an amazing bit of kit, had all the functionality I wanted from Bluetooth.

At this same time I was looking around XDA developers.org and I found an extreemly helpfull article about using a WIDCOMM Bluetooth stack on the PPC.

I downloaded this and installed onto the XDA 2 and hey presto I had the option to switch bluetooth stacks!!!

This meant I had many.....many.....MANY options that the Microsoft Stack just doesnt support, the most important one being PAN. (personal Area network)

As (at the time) I was using the MSI bluetooth suite on my PC to use My bluetooth headset for Teamspeak and MSN messenger and to enable PAN access into my PPC from Paired devices.

Then Service Pack 2 came.

Then I cried.

It installed the "new" "usefull" MS Bluetooth stack on my PC and no matter what I have done, no matter how much I have tried, I cannot get full functionality back from MY MSI suite. The microsoft Poooop just will not go away. It hijacks my Dongle, I overwrite the drivers.

I trawl the web finding a few success stories but no MAtter what I try I am unable to get "FULL" functionality back from MSI.

It has been eaten alive by MSoft.

I have limited use of my dongle and software, I am unable to configure my serial ports and other issues which mean I am no longer able to set the PAN up properly.

Not only that, I dont want to use my XDA any more, I have my lovely new MDA compact (now with dents....grrrrrrr) and this doesnt like the WIDCOMM drivers like my old XDA did, if I install them, its going to overwrite the MS ones. This will stop me from using my BT headset etc.

So 1 year ago I had an OLDER PPC> and an SP1 version of Win XP.

This was a time of happiness, a time when I streamed my whole MP3 collection through the XDA into a surround system in my bedroom flawlessly from my PC downstairs!!!

A time of MP3's at the same time as MSN ;)

A time of streaming all my DIVX AVI's (pre encoded for 320 x 240 res) from my PC to my room.

I had all the media I wanted. Whenever.

Now I buy new PPC and update windows and all I get is a 20 hour headache trying to get it working again and giving me nothing but misery.

Last year I loved Bluetooth, I laughed at users who payed out for WiFi.

Now I have an aching heart for all my bluetooth memories....

Sniff....

Guest MitchellO

:cry: Thats such a sad story. I think you can disable the bluetooth software in the Services management in Administrator tools. I have SP2 and my Dell Bluetooth software works fine. I use it with my mouse, Mini and sometimes other phones.