103 replies to this topic

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
I've come across alot more rom versions in my travels but the latest seems to be the Imate PDA2K rom recently released on Club Imate.

With help from XDA-Developers.com I succesfully flashed to it a few days ago and have been totally satisfied with the results. There has been no downside.

It's amazing how much better Windows Media Player 10 is. And the device seems much more stable and polished now...

Only thing I would say is that when I was using the T-Mobile rom patched with radio stack 1.10 my battery lasted a little longer then it does now with the latest radio stack version 1.12. This is apparently consistant with other folks findings...

There's also been the suggestion that service provider specific services (for example T-Mobiles Blackberry in the UK) will only function on the radio stack originally on their device. i.e. installing radio stack 1.8 or later will break blackberry on T-Mobile.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
And here's the Imate rom versions I've now got on my MDA III

Rom Version: 1.40.00 WWE
Rom Date: 03/10/05
Radio Version 1.12.00
Protocol version 1337.42
ExtROM verson 1.40.176 WWE
Bluetooth version 1 build 3900

There's something amusing about a T-Mobile MDA III booting up with IMATE in large letters across the screen! ;)

Edited by Pondrew, 09 June 2005 - 09:39 PM.

Abducted

Abducted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:ACER Liquid Gallant Solo E350
Hello Pondrew and everybody else for that matter. ;)

I got my M2000 yesterday en wanted to flash to a new ROM before i started to install everything else. My previous phone is the original Orange SPV and i've used differend ROM's on that one too. Qtek, Orange and right now that old SPV is even running some leaked version of Windows Mobile 2003.
Everytime i flashed to a new rom i would run a .cab file with the dutch Orange settings and everything would work again.

Before flashing to a new ROM i read some threads and your name came up a couple of times and since you have over 1300 posts i would assume u've been busy with this stuff. :D And u are using the latest IMate ROM and said it was excellent to i flashed to that one too. It fixed the crappy WiFi right away and it also feels like it's more responsive. But the only problem i'm having right now is my GPRS doesn't work. Liek i said on my old SPV all i had to do is run that .cab file. But this M2000 can't run this .cab file. I've read a lot of threads and did even more searches over here, google and on xda-developers.com but i can't really find what i'm looking for. I've read some stuff about dialing *99#, but that's what i used use the internet of old SPV on my old PDA. And even if that is how you get it to work i've tried it and i can't get that to work either. I've also read that you need to extract something from the Orange ROM and put it in the IMate ROM before flashing. That might be a solution, but first of all i would assume there is an easier way to get those settings back adn secondly i don't know what files to extract and inject.

So sould GPRS just work after to flash to a ROM from a differend provider/country?
And if not, can you please tell me how i can get it to work again? Thanks. ;)

dazultra2000

dazultra2000

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Devices:K850i/TyTN II
Short version:

You need to get a .cab that's compatible with the M2000.
Then you need to learn about the extrom on the phone, put the cab into it and do a hard reset. Then it will work.

Long version:
Read very carefully through http://wiki.xda-developers.com as it is the best source of information around for it - also read the forums.

I have updated to the 1.40 i-mate rom and cooked my own extrom from components of the i-mate 1.4 and the orange 1.31 extroms - works like a dream!

Previously owned phones: Maxon MX3204, Ericsson PH337, GA628, GF768, A1018, T18, T20s, A2628s, R320s, R380s, T65, T68m, SonyEricsson T68i, T300, T310, T610, T630, Z200, P800, P900, P910i, K700i, W800i, W900i, K800i, K850i Sony J70, Bosch 509, Philips Savvy, Motorola C520, m3788, T191, V600, V80, Panasonic X70, Nokia 3210, 3310, 6310i, NGage, 7600, N80 Sagem myX-5, Orange SPV, SPV C500, SPV C550, SPV M2000, SPV M5000, Amoi S6, HTC TyTN II

Abducted

Abducted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:ACER Liquid Gallant Solo E350
Oke thanks!
I know a little about the external ROM. But what .cab file is the one i need to get from the Orange ROM and inject in the IMate ROM?
xda-developers.com has been down since last night and still is right now.
So if you could please tell me what files i need to work with that would be great. ;)

dazultra2000

dazultra2000

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Devices:K850i/TyTN II
If I knew I would have told you.

What I did was I took the extrom from the orange 1.31 release, replaced all of the old apps with the new ones from the 1.40 i-mate rom and installed that onto the phone. That way I had all of the newest apps with all of the orange software as well.

You just need to make sure that the extrom is <16MB

Previously owned phones: Maxon MX3204, Ericsson PH337, GA628, GF768, A1018, T18, T20s, A2628s, R320s, R380s, T65, T68m, SonyEricsson T68i, T300, T310, T610, T630, Z200, P800, P900, P910i, K700i, W800i, W900i, K800i, K850i Sony J70, Bosch 509, Philips Savvy, Motorola C520, m3788, T191, V600, V80, Panasonic X70, Nokia 3210, 3310, 6310i, NGage, 7600, N80 Sagem myX-5, Orange SPV, SPV C500, SPV C550, SPV M2000, SPV M5000, Amoi S6, HTC TyTN II

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
I'd be a little wary of mixing ext rom cabs just because I read that external rom cab files are sometimes specific to the rom they accompany (ie a cab file in the Imate 1.40 external rom may only work properly with 1.40 and so Orange 1.3 ext rom cab files may not function properly with the Imate 1.40).

For this reason I just used the setting repositary here at Modaco and entered all the settings manually. Only takes about 5 to 10 minutes...

The settings for Orange are here

Also, most of what I know I learned from here or XDA-Developers.com. Their wiki pages for the Blue Angel are fantastic. Check them out here

hunyango_uk

hunyango_uk

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Devices:mda vario II :)
hi, got o2 xda iis. just wondering if i can have wmp 10 on it. and my bluetooth is not working when i'm trying to send some files to my c500.

rom version 1.31.00 wwe
rom date 12/13/04
radio version 1.06.00
protocol version 1337.38
extrom version 1.31.139 wwe

"don't be deceived by the looks, try to look under the hood."

"I love my MDA Vario and glad i upgrade to Vario II. Don't You?!!!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

DarkJedi

DarkJedi

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One
just upgrade to the latest imate 1.40 rom, that has WM10 on it.

hunyango_uk

hunyango_uk

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Devices:mda vario II :)
is the imate rom compatible with 02 xda IIi?

"don't be deceived by the looks, try to look under the hood."

"I love my MDA Vario and glad i upgrade to Vario II. Don't You?!!!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

DarkJedi

DarkJedi

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One
with a little tweaking yeah it is. visit the Blue Angel Wiki page at xda-developers and u'll find your answer. ;)

gibbo_ap

gibbo_ap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Devices:O2 xda exex
jus 2quick questions

i am thinking of upgrading to the 1.40 ROM mainly because of WMP10 but am scared of loosing my settings (MMS GPRS etc). i know its a lot to ask but could some one write a how to on this as its a very popular thread and alot of peeps wana know how.

secondly

if i upgrade and cant put my settings in or something goes wrong (it is me i have bad bad luck) can i down grade the ROM to the current 1.31.00 ROM i have.

cheers

SPV, SPVe200, SPV m2000, O2 xda exec (O2 sux), now SPV m3100

My deviantART account

viper4u2nv

viper4u2nv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:MDA III
yeh ive been on the wiki pages at xda developers that pondrew and others have told me about and honestly its difficult to find the details in order to flash the rom to the mda or m2000 in the dude aboves case.

i also need it done step by step by someone who has tried it and not failed.

Thanx.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
Right. Firstly neither I nor Modaco are in any way responsible should you decide to start installing roms that aren't intended for your device. You could end up with a VERY expensive paperweight, the kind that makes Smartphone paperweights look cheap and nasty.

Secondly, I can't provide you with the roms nor tools to upgrade with. XDA-Developers.com and in particular their wiki pages are a wonderful resource but you're going to have to find what you need yourself. Sorry but that's how it is.

Right, now that that's out of the way, should things go wrong the procedure suggested in the second post here may help (no guarantees, remember what I said about expensive paperweights, if you can't afford to lose the device, don't mess with it).

Finally, in answer to your question of how to go back to an Orange, O2 or T-Mobile rom, see the following post.

Edited by Pondrew, 17 June 2005 - 04:44 PM.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
Here's an extract from the Blue Angel wiki pages of XDA-Developers.com. All credit goes to them. As stated no responsibility is accepted by them, Modaco, or myself should this go wrong.

The tool in question removes the need for an update rom id to match the device id. It could do real harm if used with an incompatible rom. You'll probably notice it was originally intended for use with the HTC Magician but it worked fine for me when upgrading my Blue Angel to the Imate rom.

(oh, and as mentioned you'll have to locate the tool and roms for yourself...)

...if you are installing a rom on a device other than that which it is meant for, you will get a Device ID error, so follow these steps:

Download update to desktop
Unrar or unzip all files in exe or rar into a new folder
Open the folder with the extracted files
Download this file: MaUpgradeUt_noID.ZIP
Extract MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe from this file and place it with the other upgrade files.
Run this new exe file instead of BaUpgradeUt.exe to update your rom
If you get an error the first time, run MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe again

Edited by Pondrew, 17 June 2005 - 06:02 PM.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
UPDATE:

A new radio stack version 1.13.00 is now out. I've just finished installing it.

Unsurprisingly no dramatic changes from 1.12 though.

JCopeland8814

JCopeland8814

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Siemens SX 66
Not to sound like a complete moron but what does updating the rom do exactly other than allow me to say I've got the newest version?

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
Depends on which rom you mean. There's the Windows Mobile Rom, Radio Stack Rom + Bluetooth Stack, and the External Rom.

The newer the rom version, the newer the version of Windows Mobile. The changes will usually be beneath the hood but you get small feature changes (icons that weren't there before, different ways of displaying info such as a seperate gprs and telephone signal indicator, etc). Stability and functionality improve.

In theory the newer the radio stack version the better the strength and clarity of signal. I live in a 1 to 2 bar blackspot for T-Mobile and when I had radio stack 1.00 as shipped on the device the phone would cut out from time to time in a call as it lost signal. Since updating to 1.10, 1.12 and 1.13 people are able to hear me more and it doesn't cut out anymore. In fact, I'd say the update turned a 1bar signal at home into a 2bar signal.

There have also been suggestions that the radio stack directly affects the range of Bluetooth.

When the T-Mobile MDA III came out Bluetooth Manager on it sucked and it would regularly lock up the device. This was build 1500 or something like that. Since updating to 3500 and then 3900 the bluetooth range MAY be better but you can be damn sure the stability IS. No more lockups at all.

And finally you have the External Rom, updates to which will include newer versions of the software you had before. For example HTC include applications like Camera, Album, File Explorer, etc. Newer versions are included in newer external roms.

And finally, installing different roms (from different providers) enables you to change the branding or bundled software on the device.

Hope that helped!

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

YES ORANGE M2000 UK RECIVED TUESDAY 19TH JUL

OPERATOR VERSION 4.40.1.179
ROM VERSION  1.40.00 WWE
ROM DATE 03/10/05
RADIO VERSION 1.06.02
PROTOCAL VERSION 1337.38
EXTROM VERSION 1.40.179 WWE

wmp 10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No sign of this as a Rom Update yet but we can hope...

Big_Dogg123

Big_Dogg123

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br />Games<br />Fishing
  • Devices:O2 XDA IIs / SPV C500
Tried the O2 Asia ROM on my XDA IIs, since it's the same provider n all. But I keep getting the Country ID error. I'm not getting a response on the XDA-Dev site, any chance you can PM me any advice Pondrew.

PS - Also tried the PDA 2k update with the same Country ID error. Its soooo annoying that every time it fails, the phone hard resets and you have to configure it all over again, just to have another attempt at updating it.

And yes, I did use the MaUpgrade thingy.

Big Dogg
Two guys can keep a secret - as long as one of them is dead | My enemy's enemy is my friend
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users