XDAIIs Dialler skins

Guest radavis

Guest radavis

Hi everybody

Just bought an XDAIIs and I would like to change the dialler O2 dialler skin for something else.

Does anybody know how to do this. I have found a site "Howard Shortt" that has an number of new dialler skins but you need to load onto the XDAIIs the psk installer. I did this but the XDAIIS tells me that it was made for a preveious version of the OS and so it wont work.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Raymond

Guest inspectorgadjet

Hi Raymond,

I have the T-Mobile MDA III, which they customize with a disgusting grey and pink dialpad. So I too have been wanting to change the dialpad on the phone, and after much research, I finally found a few ways.

First of all, if you can manually replace the graphic files in the Windows folder. You will hav eto hunt them down one by one and replace them yourself. This is obviously not the best way to do it.

Secondly, there are a number of dialpad makers out there, that simplify the process for you. Check out Dialpad Maker Deluxe at PocketGear.com. This seems like a pretty good one and supports landscape mode as well, so is perfect for the Blue Angel.

Also, you can use the XDASkinChooser on the Blue Angel. This can be downloaded from here. As far as I'm aware this is a free app.

The other option which you have mentioned is the psk Installer. I haven't managed to download it yet (still waiting for a registration confirmation from , but I will definitely try it. I find that a lot of apps actually give the warning that they are for an earlier version of the os, but then will still run. So try installing it and then run the app and see what it tells you. You just might get lucky.

The one last thing I have to mention, is the depressed number buttons. They don't use the stanard images in the windows folder for some reason. Instead they are part of a DLL file. Not many of the dialpad makers seem to take this into account, so you might have to manually update this. Some of the skins have downloadable DLL files which you can copy to the phone, and then using a registry editor, edit the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Phone\IcoFil to point at your new DLL file. The original one is called TapRes.dll so don't mess with that one.

You could also make your own DLL file for the depressed number buttons, but I'm not going to go into that here. You will have to find a program that will allow you to edit dll file images all on your own.

Good luck with the skins 8)

Guest radavis

Thanks for the interesting reply. I have tried to install PSK installer a number of times but I always get the reply about being for a previous version. When I tried to install the PSK files it came up with an error message. I got the PSK files from www.howardshortt.com. He has some really nice ones.

I have downloaded the 2 programs you suggested and will give them a try.

Guest radavis

Great!!!

Used XDASkinChooser and now it has ruined the default dial pad skin. I have removed the software and the buttons and default background image are left on one of the skins used by XDASkinChooser.

Any ideas on how to revert to the default without a hard reset??

Help.

Guest Chaser81

Get someone to email you the default image files from the Windows directory of their XDA IIs and then replace the ones in your windows directory? I would help, but I dont have an XDA IIs, sorry!

Guest inspectorgadjet

The skin chooser does not replace the original images on the dialpad when it sets new ones. These remain in the Windows folder. Go into your windows folder using a file manager/image viewer and rename the images that are currently used on the dialpad to something else. This will force the dialpad to use the original images.

Also - the XDA Skin chooser has an option for using the original dialpad, which seems to work if you select it. It definitely returned my dialpad to the original buttons.

Guest inspectorgadjet

In addition to this, I found that setting the XDA Skin chooser to Original Skin and then hitting activate required a soft reset before the original images came back. Have you tried a soft reset?

Guest radavis

Thanks, Tried your suggestion but with no luck.

I have just tried Dialpad Maker V2 and it is really good. In fact bought it as the registered version comes with about 25 different keypad schemes, so i can use my own pictures. Anybody interested give it a try.

Thanks for all the help.