pop3/Outlook E-mail

Guest Biggles

Guest Biggles

Can anyone help. I have just changed from Smartpone E200 to Orange SPV M2000

Is there anyway to download (and send) POP email (when I am wireless) into the activesync account rather than into the POP3 account I have set up for mobile use? I am sure the E200 allowed you to only have one account. Not everyone has a Windows server!

I have Outllook 2003 and ActiveSync 3.8

a) Desktop (winXP home) - activesync via USB, syncing inbox, etc.

:D POP3 email to get new email, via GPRS/Wifi, when on the move. (Same account as that accessed in Outlook on XP Desktop PC)

Any advice gratefull received. Thanks

Guest dazza12
Can anyone help.  I have just changed from Smartpone E200 to Orange SPV M2000

Is there anyway to download (and send) POP email (when I am wireless) into the activesync account rather than into the POP3 account I have set up for mobile use? I am sure the E200 allowed you to only have one account.  Not everyone has a Windows server!

I have Outllook 2003 and ActiveSync 3.8

a) Desktop (winXP home) - activesync via USB, syncing inbox, etc.

:D POP3 email to get new email, via GPRS/Wifi, when on the move. (Same account as that accessed in Outlook on XP Desktop PC)

Any advice gratefull received. Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm assuming what you have is an account you use at home on Outlook, but you'd like to use the same account when out and about.

Firstly, I would forget about using Activesync over a GPRS connection. You will end up with a massive phone bill as there is a large amount of data to transfer. I would suggest creating a separate account that contains an exact copy of your Outlook email settings.

It partly depends on whether your ISP will allow access to their email servers from outside their network, if they do (most will), then there should be no problem. Most will not allow you to use their SMTP (send) server outside the network, but some will if you log on to the server first (check with your ISP).

You will need to get the settings from the ISP, or from your Outlook menus. When you have done this, you need to go to messaging on your phone, click Account, click New Account and then follow the prompts.

One thing you may want to do to save costs is to only download the headers of the messages. If you see an email that interests you, you mark it for download and connect again. Much cheaper if like me you get a fair bit of spam.

Guest ventmore
The only downside is that you have 2 accounts on the phone for the same mailbox.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and no. Once you download the messages again on your home machine, they will disappear from the server, and also, when your handset checks for mail again, they will disappear from the handset as well. Now, when you sync with the machine at home, your activesync account will contain all your old mails. Works well enough for me......probably not explained very well, but you get my drift :D

Cheers

Ventmore

A much much better way is to get a hold of an IMAP mail server, instead of POP. I run one on my home network, accessible to the outside world over my broadband connection.

Basically, my work PC, my laptop, my home PC and my SPV all access the same mail box. Delete/move the message on one, it's deleted/moved on all etc. The messages are stored on the server and the phone keeps the last X days locally. I've got mine set on 7 days; so the phone only has the last week of mails in the inbox. My desktops can see every mail. Every mail I've received in fours years that is; it's more cost effective to archive into folders and buy the extra drive space, rather than wasting your time deleteing.

For outbound connections, use your phone ISP details, e.g. smtp.orange.net. Then, in your PCs HOST file, create an entry for the same address but put in the IP address of your real ISP details e.g. for smtp.ntlworld.com put in 212.250.162.8. Then your phone can send mails over the air, or over active sync.

It helps being a networking guru... :D

Guest ventmore
A much much better way is to get a hold of an IMAP mail server, instead of POP. I run one on my home network, accessible to the outside world over my broadband connection.

Basically, my work PC, my laptop, my home PC and my SPV all access the same mail box. Delete/move the message on one, it's deleted/moved on all etc. The messages are stored on the server and the phone keeps the last X days locally. I've got mine set on 7 days; so the phone only has the last week of mails in the inbox. My desktops can see every mail. Every mail I've received in fours years that is; it's more cost effective to archive into folders and buy the extra drive space, rather than wasting your time deleteing.

For outbound connections, use your phone ISP details, e.g. smtp.orange.net. Then, in your PCs HOST file, create an entry for the same address but put in the IP address of your real ISP details e.g. for smtp.ntlworld.com put in 212.250.162.8. Then your phone can send mails over the air, or over active sync.

It helps being a networking guru... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the sound of that...can you recommend an IMAP server...preferably cheap :D

Just to clarify, when the phone checks for mail, it contacts your home machine instead of the ISP...and when you send mail, it again sends it via your home machine...is that right?

Cheers

Ventmore

I like the sound of that...can you recommend an IMAP server...preferably cheap :D

Just to clarify, when the phone checks for mail, it contacts your home machine instead of the ISP...and when you send mail, it again sends it via your home machine...is that right?

Cheers

Ventmore

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use courier-imap, which is OSS and therefore completely free, but you'll need a linux box to use it. If you are on Windows, check out IMail, I believe it's free for either a limited number of users (five) or non-commercial use.

Yes, my phone contacts my PC. I use dyndns.org to keep my dynanic IP address in DNS, so I put the host name on the phone. Should the IP change, DNS is updated for me. I also use a non-standard port, to keep the IP scanners at bay.

Sending is via whatever is available. It's set as smtp.orange.net on my phone. As I said before, an entry in the HOST file tricks the phone into using my NTL server when it's docked. You don't have to send from the same place as receiving for mail to work.

The mail gets into the imap server by polling your regular POP mailbox. This way, the messages get held if your server is down. When it is running, it will take messages from my ISP mail account. You could poll as many mailboxes as you want this way, and pull them all into one account.

I've also got this set so that messages from different sources go into different folders. Mailing lists etc don't go to the phone; it was a pain in the ass getting notifications all the time!!

Guest ventmore
I use courier-imap, which is OSS and therefore completely free, but you'll need a linux box to use it. If you are on Windows, check out IMail, I believe it's free for either a limited number of users (five) or non-commercial use.

Yes, my phone contacts my PC. I use dyndns.org to keep my dynanic IP address in DNS, so I put the host name on the phone. Should the IP change, DNS is updated for me. I also use a non-standard port, to keep the IP scanners at bay.

Sending is via whatever is available. It's set as smtp.orange.net on my phone. As I said before, an entry in the HOST file tricks the phone into using my NTL server when it's docked. You don't have to send from the same place as receiving for mail to work.

The mail gets into the imap server by polling your regular POP mailbox. This way, the messages get held if your server is down. When it is running, it will take messages from my ISP mail account. You could poll as many mailboxes as you want this way, and pull them all into one account.

I've also got this set so that messages from different sources go into different folders. Mailing lists etc don't go to the phone; it was a pain in the ass getting notifications all the time!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that fraser...I'll be giving that one a go. I used to have a dyndns account (probably expired by now), and my router supports it, so that should work a treat.

Thanks for the info

Ventmore

Guest Biggles
Thanks for that fraser...I'll be giving that one a go.  I used to have a dyndns account (probably expired by now), and my router supports it, so that should work a treat.

Thanks for the info

Ventmore

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>