Speaking Clock

Guest benjymous

Guest benjymous

[248]clock.jpg

File Name :: Speaking Clock

Author :: benjymous

Category :: Tools - Fun

Description ::

This is a simple app knocked together in an afternoon. When run, your phone will read out the time time (with a posh female British accent!).

To install, just unzip it, copy the clock folder to your storage card, and create a shortcut from the SpeakingClock.exe file to your start menu.

Note that in this current version, the sounds have to be in \Storage Card\clock\ else it won't find them (if the clock just makes beeping noises, then that's why)

Note: this will only work on an un-certified phone.

If you want to modify this to use a different voice, just replace the wav files with your own (it should be fairly straightforward to work out what sounds are needed)

History:

• 1.0 - first release (16/3/03)
  • 1.1 - fixed bug that made it say "9" rather than "19" (16/3/03)
  • 1.2 - now properly handles timezones (17/3/03)

Known Problems

This will only work on smartphones that internally map the storage card as /Storage Card/ (As far as I'm aware, this includes all the Orange SPV models)

Updated Fri, Feb 11 2005 3:48 pm

View File

• 2 weeks later...
Guest benjymous
is ther no way to change so you dont need a storage card !?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Presently no, the path it looks for the sound files is hard-coded.

When I complete my current smartphone project I'll go back and make an updated 2003 version of Speaking Clock that'll be more intelligent, and so let you install the wavs wherever you like

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marine

It is cool. Specially useful in the dark. I put it at the first icon. It help me to know what time is from just pressing a button without seeing screen.

Guest carmel

To install, just unzip it, copy the clock folder to your storage card, and create a shortcut from the SpeakingClock.exe file to your start menu.

Can someone please tell me how to create this shortcut. I have installed the file on the storage card, but am now stuck.

TIA

Guest benjymous
Can someone please tell me how to create this shortcut.  I have installed the file on the storage card, but am now stuck.

TIA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to use a file manager on your phone - if you're using a c500, just run the pre-installed file manager, browse to the clock's .exe, select Menu -> File -> Create Shortcut, then select your storage\windows\start menu folder

Guest carmel
You need to use a file manager on your phone - if you're using a c500, just run the pre-installed file manager, browse to the clock's .exe, select Menu -> File -> Create Shortcut, then select your storage\windows\start menu folder

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many thanks!

Mission accomplished !

This really is a great site, with so many knowledgeable and helpful people.

I am a complete newbie with little or no knowlege of computers, and to be able to ask for help without getting flamed ( as happens on many other sites) is a real bonus.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest reynoso gesmundo

Is the software possible to install in a registered smartphone 2003 because you had mentioned it is for unlock phone.I relly wanna experience the coolness of the software.Thanks.

Guest RoVal1972
[248]clock.jpg

File Name :: Speaking Clock

Author :: benjymous

Category :: Tools  - Fun

Description ::

This is a simple app knocked together in an afternoon. When run, your phone will read out the time time (with a posh female British accent!).

Note that in this current version, the sounds have to be in \Storage Card\clock\ else it won't find them (if the clock just makes beeping noises, then that's why)

Note: this will only work on an un-certified phone.

If you want to modify this to use a different voice, just replace the wav files with your own (it should be fairly straightforward to work out what sounds are needed)

History:

• 1.0 - first release (16/3/03)

• 1.1 - fixed bug that made it say "9" rather than "19" (16/3/03)

• 1.2 - now properly handles timezones (17/3/03)

Known Problems

This will only work on smartphones that internally map the storage card as /Storage Card/  (As far as I'm aware, this includes all the Orange SPV models)

Updated Fri, Feb 11 2005 3:48 pm

View File

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perfect ! I was trying to make it works, but with no succes. Now yes !

Thanks !

V. :roll:

• 3 months later...
Guest barnyx

It's cool - I like it!

I've installed it on an Orange C500 (developer unlock method applied in advance).

Bunged the shortcut in 'Accessories' using the file manager

Set a speed-dial of '24' on the shortcut (I have a lot of cool programs so 24 looked good)

Binga Bonga :)

All that's lacking really is a Windows feature...scheduled tasks - why Bill why didn't you?

Without that, the program has to have the feature built-in, and also sits in memory all the time!!! - we need sheduled tasks feature in Windows Mobile 2003 (everybody chants....) :shock:

Guest benjymous
any chance of makin it import various sexy female voices? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's an alternative american female voice set here:

http://grapefruitopia.com/smartphone/data/clock_american.zip

(just unzip it and copy the wavs over the existing ones on your phone)

But you can easily make your own, just replace the wavs with another voice - "intro.wav" is the bit at the beginning, so you could have a woman saying "hey sexy, it's.." rather than just "the time is" if you so desired ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest elguwapo

im months off from this release but I only started my phones recently. I love this app, cute. but its kinda weak? it is very faint even with my loudest profile. could the volume be adjusted in a future update?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest mani0007m

I am kind of new to this topic so......

Can someone tell , does the exe file needs to be stored in the main storage or can be stored in storage card.. As every time I restart the phone the programe does not works :cry:

• 1 month later...
Guest SlimCatalin

how can i instal it !

Its a php file and my phone dosen't recognize it !

If someone can help me , please pm me !

p.s. excuse my gramar , i'm from romania ! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.