MDA COMPACT - Free on T Mobile (UK) now!

Guest TonyLondon

Guest SeaneyC
Plus I hate being a beta-tester !!  T-mobile better have the latest ROM upgrades etc. already installed and any problems ironed out or I'm gonna kick some ass  :evil:

Good things come to those who wait  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are people on other Forums that say the T-Mobile rom is the MOST stable rom for the magician out of the imate o2 and t-mobile roms. One guy even went as far as saying it's the most stable PPC he's ever owned!

The only problem i can see is that the camera still sucks, but then again, i have a decent pocket camera i usually have with me anyway. I hope mine is at home!

Guest Pondrew

Good to hear you got your Compact, had got fed up with sites advertising handsets they didn't even have.

Let us know how you get on.

Oh, and very interested by the T-Mobile rom comments. Been very pleased with the network specific software that came with the MDA III (voice dial and gprs monitor/battery plugin). Why on earth Orange never shipped their Smartphone's with a GPRS monitor I don't know...

Guest Perfectionist

How does porting work ??

I am already on T-mobile (out of my contract period) but want to keep my number when I get a new Jam which means a bitch upgrade fee...

Can I get a cheap Pay As You Go sim from another network and port my number onto that .... then when my Jam arrives, port my old number back on to T-mobile ??

How often can you port your number, and can it be done at anytime or before or shortly after buying a new phone ??

Cant understand why a network would rather lose a customer than give him the same deal on a new phone as everyone else ???

Guest SeaneyC

Got an e-mail that mine was posted out today, hopefully will be here tomorrow morning, shame though i was looking forward to playing with it when i get home from work!

Will be absolutely killing it over the weekend, trying out the beta o2 plus plugin etc on it so i'll let you all know how i get on :D

Guest inspectorgadjet

You may be able to port your number out onto a cheap pay as you go sim card. I'm not sure that you can port it back onto T-Mobile again right away. I don't know what the rules are. It may work. Perhaps you should call T-Mobile disconnections and tell them that you intend to port your number onto a pay as you go sim and then port it back onto T-Mobile when you get the MDA Compact so you can avoid the pathetic upgrade fee and perhaps they will consent to give you the phone at the price you want and spare you all the hassle.

Guest TonyLondon
How does porting work ??

Can I get a cheap Pay As You Go SIM from another network and port my number onto that .... then when my Jam arrives, port my old number back on to T-mobile ??

How often can you port your number, and can it be done at anytime or before or shortly after buying a new phone ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr Kipling - pleasure, glad to pass on the good news!

Perfectionist - as you suggest, the best way to keep your number and benefit from a new contract is to port out and back again. The best company I've found that does this is Virgin. You can port your number into their network whenever you like after you buy one of their SIMs.

So buy a SIM for a tenner (comes with £5 worth of credit I believe). Use the free credit and then port in your number. One month later - port it out and back to T Mobile, where you set up a new contract and get a shiny free or almost free MDA!

You can port your number as many times as you like. All you need to do is get your PAC code from your outgoing provider and give it to the new provider. The PAC code is valid for 30 days. As soon as you port your number your old contract is automatically cancelled.

NB if you are porting DO NOT terminate your outgoing account! If you did and it was terminated before the port was completed you would lose your number. The PAC code being used by your new service provider is an automatic cancellation and your old provider will bill you up to that point. If for any reason you didn't use your PAC code it would expire after 30 days and your existing old contract would continue.

NB There may be an issue porting from T Mobile to Virgin as Virgin uses the T Mobile network! If this is the case try Tesco - they use O2:

http://www.tescomobile.com/sim_only.aspx?pc=22&us=1&h=1

Make sure Tesco allow you to port out - I'm sure they will but I've never used them.

Guest 12speed
Thanks TonyLondon for the heads up on this,

ordered at 4:30pm yesterday evening, turned up royal mail special delivery at 8.00 this morning as the guy at scancom promised,  £20 for handset on relax100 tarrif.

Anyone know how long a number transfer should take between orange and T-mobile ?

Bye bye E200, we had some good times ................

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I COULD NOT WAIT ANY LONGER :evil: ......i have just made a order at scancom got my pac code ready.....bye bye Orange....Hello T-Mobile......after 10 years on orange time for a change ,plus i am sick of waiting for their phones to come out and the c500 is not enough of a step up from a e200 apart from size.

Guest coolcatshaft

Scancom are based in Leicester. very good service, got my original SPV from them over two years ago.

They got in a stock of 40 MDA compacts last monday morning. About 25 we on preorder anyway, I popped in on tuesday and pick mine up in person. gave them my orange PAC code and got my phone with a temporary t-mobile no. for 7 days after which my orange no. should transfer over. got it free on the relax 100 with 3 months half price. very good deal.

already sugarcubed it, and stuck a 1gb sd card in...

nice bit of kit, feels like a generational leap over my P900 which looks very plasticky and tacky next to the Jam...

Guest SeaneyC

Awesome! I now have a shiny new MDA Compact in my hands! What are you waiting for Mono!

Kudos to Royal Mail for once too, delivered on Saturday before 9am!

Guest inspectorgadjet

Mine arrived this morning before 9 too. It's brilliant. Very very very nice. Now I have the dilemna of which PDA to use...the MDA III for the WLAN and the keyboard or the MDA Compact just for the absolute coolness of it.

Guest SeaneyC

Bit disappointed that a few of my old games from my PDA don't work properly (no fishing!!) But on the whole, truely awesome!

Did anyone get a screen protector in the box? I thought the MDA compact was supposed to come with one. There is also a space for another battery, but I know it's only supposed to come with one, so no probs there.

Guest SeaneyC
I got a screen protector in the box, and one battery too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm i might have to give them a call on monday i don't want to spend money on one i should have got!

GPRS on T-Mobile isn't THAT much i think i paid £5 a month for 6mb, which is all i tend to use.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

How do they sort the contract btw? Didn't seem to give any info when i placed my order... Do they set up a direct debit for bill payments?

Guest SeaneyC
How do they sort the contract btw?  Didn't seem to give any info when i placed my order...  Do they set up a direct debit for bill payments?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A nice bloke called me at work to set up the contract details - Not sure what his name was, but was pretty helpful and didn't pressure any extras or stuff like that, just put through my details and told me my phone was coming!

Guest SeaneyC

http://www.seaneyc.co.uk/MDACompact/

Here are some pics, the first 2 are taken with the cam, they actually came out better than the others i had seen. Don't know if it's a T-Mobile patch or anything that has caused this, although night pics are still totally rubbish, i'm not even going to bother posting them, just detune your TV and look at that, it's basically the same picture quality.

The rest of the pics show various things:

WMP10 playing a converted AVI file, unfortunately i don't know what it does to the aspect. South Park is not too affected, but i did try a widescreen TV program, and it just stretched that to fit the screen, so thumbs down there. I don't know if there is a setting to rectify this in WMP10 though, so i will hunt about later. The ability to compress stuff in the background with no setting up is nice though.

Today screen with PocketMusic plugin is also nice, the pastel colours, although match with the "Hot Pink" T-Mobile livery, are not really my thing.

Shot of the GPRS monitor! Yes! Finally - I just do not understand how Orange feel able to get away with not supplying this on the SPV series (at least the Original and C500 that i have owned don't have this, someone correct me if the M1000 et al come with one) I've never used GPRS monitors before, but this one breaks down the data nicely as you can see.

The dialer, for me is usable with no stylus, just. The contact finding is the same as on Smartphone, using a T9 style, which i personally feel is the best way of finding contacts.

All in all, really pleased! Although disappointingly it doesn't seem to want to run Bass Fishing Pro which was one of my favourite games on my old PDA :lol: Oh well you can't have it all! Waiting to see if this PS1 emulator will run now......

Edited by SeaneyC