Chinese fonts on English MPx220 - Updated w/ PIC

Guest hjimmy

July 18, 2005 - I updated my firmware to 1.43 and everything work fine :-) If you PM me about MS Ming but I didn't e-mail you please PM me your e-mail again.

Hello,

I have just upgraded my phone to 1.3 firmware via MOTO's official firmware utility. So I have chance to go over installing Chinese font again. Here I will include some explanations, instructions, and pictures.

This is the 1st page I discovered how to enable Chinese font (easiest way)

www.HappyCorner.com.hk - 偷天換日- MPx200升級OS加中文

This is the thread first posted in MoDaCo to explain how to enable Chinese font. But I don't think the author (ghettoboy) is quite active in this forum. I think he only registered here to share with everyone about his experience (because I see his thread in another forum as well). So thank you ghettoboy :-)

MoDaCo -> Chinese fonts on English MPx220

Now let's go down to the business...

1. To enable Chinese font, you only need 2 registry keys

These two registry keys are

(1) HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontLink\SystemLink

Both FontLink and SystemLink keys are not created, so you have to create them.

Under SystemLink, create a new string value

name: "nina"

value: "\Storage\windows\Fonts\msming.ttf,MS Ming"

There is a SPACE between MS and Ming. You have to type in the English name of the font correctly, not the file name, or anything else.

(2) HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontPath

FontPath key is also not created. So create this key.

Under FontPath, create a string value

name: "FontPath"

value: "\Storage\windows\Fonts"

2. Copy nina.ttf and ninab.ttf

Ok, so you know you need to copy the font you want to use to \Storage\windows\Fonts, and we have also set up the FontPath to be \Storage\windows\Fonts.

nina.ttf and ninab.ttf is the default Nina font in SmartPhone. They are located in the \windows directory. Use the file manager to Select Multiple and COPY (yes, don't move or delete them) to \Storage\windows\Fonts

Why do we need Nina? Well, if we did not copy Nina, all the English, number, and symbols will be displayed in MS ming or whatever the font you choose. Most likely, this will be quite UGLY. That's why we want to copy Nina into our Fonts folder. Of course, if you like everything to display the font you choose, then don't copy nina.ttf and ninab.ttf. Below is the picture of PMingLiu without Nina fonts in the Fonts folder.

nonina.png

As you can see, everything in displayed in PMingLiu font. This is why I like to use English XP and just set my default to Chiense Traditional, so I will have Tahoma for my English font...

3. Use RapiConfig

Those two keys explained in 1 will NOT give you access denied problem. Most of time, if you need to change a value or do anything in registry and received access denied, you can use RapiConfig to change it for you.

In our case, use RapiConfig will help us to create these two keys fast without typing in the strings on the number keypad.

To use RapiConfig, type "RapiConfig /p XMLFileName.xml" in command prompt, where XMLFileName.xml contains the XML format of registry keys you like to change in your phone registry.

Also there's a problem using PHMEditor, in which it will quit unexpectly in SmartPhone 2003. According to sophantim, we go to

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem key, and modigy ProgramMem DWARD value from 18 to 80

4. RapiConfig XML File

Let's first look at the XML file by ghettoboy

<wap-provisioningdoc>

<characteristic type="Registry">

<characteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontPath">

<parm name="FontPath" value="\Storage\windows\Fonts" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKLM\System\GDI ">

<parm name="FontLinkMethods" value="1" datatype="integer" />

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontLink\SystemLink">

<parm name="Nina" value="\Storage\windows\Fonts\mingliu.ttc,PMingLiU" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontLink\SkipTable">

<parm name="Nina" value="005c,00a5,007e,0391-03c9,2026,2116,221a,25a0-25ff" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKLM\System\GDI\SysFnt">

<parm name="Nm" value="PMingLiU" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</wap-provisioningdoc>

(1) First there should be no SPACE after GDI. So yeah, I think that's a typo.

(2) GDI key: This key will enable the font linking, as explained by Microsoft. However, we don't need this in MPx200 or MPx220, because I think they're already enabled, even though the value is not there. Remeber the SystemLink key? This IS font linking.

(3) SkipTable key: This explained in detailed in Microsoft's website, I kind of forgot now. Well it's not necessary in our case.

(4) GDI\SysFnt key: Here he specify PMingLiU rather than the original Nina, I think having this key will also get rid of the default Nina font in your SmartPhone. Again this key is not necessary.

(note you will get Access Denied under HKLM\System, so if you need to change anything there, use RapiConfig, instead of a registry editor)

So indeed we only need 2 keys as I explained in 1. Here is the modified xml file with MS Ming.

<wap-provisioningdoc>

<characteristic type="Registry">

<characteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontPath">

<parm name="FontPath" value="\Storage\windows\Fonts" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontLink\SystemLink">

<parm name="Nina" value="\Storage\windows\Fonts\msming.ttf,MS Ming" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</wap-provisioningdoc>

NOTICE: Step 3 and 4 are NOT necessary. RapiConfig is just one quick way to edit the registry in your smartphone. If you can edit the registry key explained in (1) by yourself with an registry editor, you can skip these 2 steps.

5. I cannot delete my fonts in Fonts folder... HELP

If there is a font you installed earlier that you cannot delete in Fonts, here is how you should do it.

(1) MOVE the font file to somewhere else, like My Documents, by using File Manager (YES THE BUILD-IN FILE MANAGER).

(2) Reboot. Delete font file in My Documents.

6. MS Ming v.s. PMingLiu

Obvious MSMing is smaller, but let's see some screenshots for detail!

PMingLiU

filemanager.pngcontacts.pngwmp9.pngwmp9_ch.pngwmp9_jp.png

MS Ming

filemanager.pngcontacts.pngwmp9.pngwmp9_ch.pngwmp9_jp.png

My thoughts: Contacts is definitely much clear in MS Ming. In WMP9 when the fonts is larger, PMingLiU will look better than MS Ming. But well, most of time I need to have a better looking contacts, so I prefer MS Ming.

Also it seems like MS Ming doesn't handle Unicode Japanese as well as PMingLiU, so that's something else to look at if you play a lot of Japanese songs.

7. I still cannot see some Chinese text

Remember, all we did here is to create a font linking for non-unicode characters. If the Chinese you're trying to see is not encoded in Unicode, you will not be able to see (ex. Chinese programs, notes inside contacts, mp3 tag (if not in unicode), etc...)

Currently, I do not know a way to change the character map so we can see non-unicode Chinese. In Windows 2000/xp, inside Regional Settings, we can change the default character code page to Chinese so we can use that version of windows as if it's localized. But, I don't know how to do that in SmartPhone yet...

8. Multilingual Support

By using the method above, you can add unicode support for all languages. Remember the value in SystemLink has to be the English font name of that font.

I have also tried to copy Arial Unicode MS to my phone before, it's 20MB and it has all the characters in the world. It will work, but if you just want to see Chinese, it doesn't look that great. Plus it's 20MB in your phone... (Arial Unicode MS is the font in Windows XP. You'll see that, if you did not install ANY languages in regional settings and try to view a web page that's non-English)

I have also uploaded RapiConfig.exe together with MSMing.xml, PMingLiU.xml.

So just extract them to a temp folder, use command prompt and type "RapiConfig /p MSMing.xml" while your phone is connected ans shown GREEN in the ActiveSync icon.

A lot of folks have asked me to sent them msming.ttf. Most of those people have never post a message in this forum. Please, guys, be more active and let's share our experience together. You can contribute something as well. :lol:

EnableChineseFontNew.zip

Edited by hjimmy

Guest osmosis8938

im really sooooo sorry, as this is my first ever reply even tho iv been using the forum for ages, but im just so damn lazy :lol:

but to make up, thank you to everyone whom iv used their experience in any way.

now the fonts, i cannot copy the nina files, theyre not visible in bundled file explorer, and cannot be accesed by smartexplorer or activsync.

thanks for your help

P.S, im trying to install arabic on my uk E200 running i-mate rom, the characters are desplayed, but backwards and not joined up (if you know what arabic writing is like)

thanks

Edited by osmosis8938

Is there anyway I can have tradition and simpified chinese supported at the same time? I read MUI Font Linking on microsoft, but I donno how to make it work.

Is there anyway I can have tradition and simpified chinese supported at the same time? I read MUI Font Linking on microsoft, but I donno how to make it work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PMingLiU has traditional and most of simplified chinese built-in. As long as it's unicode, you should be able to see it.

Try this, open up a traditional chinese word document, using the traditional <-> simplified tool to convert it to simplified chinese. Change the font to PMingLiU, you'lll see your document is using PMingLiU but it's simplified chinese.

Yea I was using PMingLiu before u sent me MS Ming. (hehe thx) but it won't display the S.Chs on WMP. I did try to play a T.Chs too, but it still didn't display properly. Actually I tried to use Betaplayer 0.5, which support T.Chs and S.Chs program interface, but it seems like is not displaying too. Well I'll test it again, if I didn't saw the pictures u posted, I would have thought is normal that wmp can't display the chinese properly. :lol:

Edited by hunmin

I tested PMingLiu, MS Ming and SimSun already, and I am still unable to display the chinese in WMP. Although those MP3s ID3 tags are displaying properly on my Windows in Simpified Chs.

Would anyone know why?

I tested PMingLiu, MS Ming and SimSun already, and I am still unable to display the chinese in WMP.  Although those MP3s ID3 tags are displaying properly on my Windows in Simpified Chs.

Would anyone know why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because those ID3s are not in Unicode, I mentioned it in my post if you read my post completely. In the picture I can display it properly because I take out the ID3 tag... (so it only display the file name)

Also I mentioned in my thread as well, localized programs display their menu NOT in unicode, so of course if you change the language you still cannot see the interface.

Just read my post more carefully (especially the part I still cannot see some Chinese text)

If you don't believe your ID3 is not in Unicode, try to play it in WMP in Windows xp, while your default language is English. You'll see the same crap you see as in smartphone.

P.S. I also hate why WMP9 is not using unicode in PC if you don't have your default in English...

Guest Maikeul

Are steps three and four necessary to do this?

I installed Japanese font and used MS Gothic and I actually just kept this font for the english too. It displays pretty well.

what exactly are steps three and four for?

Edited by Maikeul

Are steps three and four necessary to do this?

I installed Japanese font and used MS Gothic and I actually just kept this font for the english too. It displays pretty well.

what exactly are steps three and four for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think steps three and four are if you can't edit the registry by yourself. Then the program rapiconfig will do it for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest uarzmass

HI all,

I am a new user for mpx220.. got it 10 days ago.. gotta say it's a pretty cool phone.

I am also trying to read traditional chinese, and after following the steps, I was able to read some of the things in Chinese. However, the contact of which I beamed from my HK version SONY ERICSSON T630 in Chinese was not readable. Besides, I have trouble viewing Chinese websites on my mpx220. Has anyone experience this before, after doing the Font Link? Is there any extra step I need to do to view 'EVERYTHING' in Chinese?

by the way, I think I also need msming.ttc file... anyone knows how to get one?

Thanks in advance!

Guest hyp224

Just got my MPx220 and tried to making it Chinese-able. But, I can't find MS Ming font anywhere, not on my XP nor online. Can someone help me out here? Thank you in advance :D

Guest H2o_hERo

Hi,

i use to use other methor for my chinese display....ssong.ttf.......but got problem in display of BIG5 chinese....!!!!

so i just PM you about the msming.ttf.....

Thank you so much....!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest hjimmy

Just want to let you guys know I verified these steps with new 1.43 ROM... a little bit late but I just don't have time to upgrade my phone 'til now. 8)

So if you need MSMing please PM me your e-mail. Sorry if you PM me earlier but haven't received it yet.

Guest neo17

hi hjimmy good to see you on the forum again - do you think the same steps will work on 3.45/3.46 with a Chinese font built into the ROM?

Guest hjimmy
hi hjimmy good to see you on the forum again - do you think the same steps will work on 3.45/3.46 with a Chinese font built into the ROM?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It should work the same. However, there are some font linking issue you might have to dig in a little bit further (I think there is a guy posted something about enabling chinese w/ link to M$ website, so you have to read that a little bit, because it tells you how to set up localized version of WinCE.)

Also you know in taiwanese mpx220 big5 encoded stuff will work... i dunno if it's the regional settings keys and values ... i once tried to go into registry and change it (like 1033, and also ANSI page like 950, 1250...), in order to get those big5 stuff work. But I end up hard reset my phone cuz I broke it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Lior Elkotser

Thanks hjimmy,

I can now see Hebrew fonts on my mpx200 Smartphone 2003.

For those of you who need to read Hebrew characters.

(unfortunately from left to right :roll:)

1) Copy these fonts to "\Storage\windows\Fonts" :

nina.ttf and ninab.ttf from Smartphone 2003 "\windows" directory.

arial.ttf font from your Widnows Xp "C:\windows\fonts" directory.

2) Run "RapiConfig.exe /p hebrew.xml"

I atached "hebrew.xml" to this message, get "RapiConfig.exe" from hjimmy attachment.

This should work for mpx220 as well.

hebrew.xml

Edited by Lior Elkotser