I-tech Bluetooth Media Player Headset Review

Guest FrankyG

Guest FrankyG

I just got hold of the I-tech Bluetooth media player headset, thought I would post my first impressions of it.

It’s light, and mostly plastic. In my opinion it feels a little bit cheap, but that’s subjective. It doesn’t ‘look’ too bad at all..but just doesn’t feel like £40 of stuff.

post-1113-1107961810_thumb.jpg post-1113-1107961997_thumb.jpg

(images taken using C500)

It comes supplied with a set of stereo headphones (buds) which plug directly into the unit, and a cable to connect your portable device to the audio input jack. (3.5 to 2.5 cable) together with user manual and phone setup guide covering about 8 or so phones.

I was most interested in using the unit to connect to my C500 via Bluetooth and listen to music cable free. Having following the instructions HERE..and, voila..wireless stereo music! BUT, I have to say, quality not good. I initially used the supplied earphones, then connected up my far superior KOSS KSC-35’s and disappointingly the lack of quality was all the more evident. I would say that it sounds about as good as AM radio…if you can remember what that’s like!

I haven’t even tried to listen using the standard wired connection, as that’s not why I bought this little gizmo, I wanted quality wireless music. Don’t get me wrong, if you just want to hear your music via Bluetooth, its OK. But there’s a difference between hearing and listening :roll:

I did a quick check of the voice dial facility and that seems to work fine. I tried placing the unit about 150mm and 200mm away from my mouth and it picked up the tags no problem. I also faced the microphone port facing and away from my mouth and both worked. Your mileage may vary with a different handset however.

The actual call quality using Bluetooth was slightly better than expected, seemed to be more bass than I got listening to music!

All in, it’s a pretty straightforward device to operate, mostly using the MFB (multi function button) which is adjacent to the multi colour led. I’m not convinced that I’ll keep this, as I would rather have cables and decent music than wireless with poor quality audio. I suppose that it depends on your expectations, but just think AM radio for the music quality and you’ve got an idea.

If I get rid of them, here's another possibility but without being able to choose your own headphones >>HERE<<

Any questions, feel free to ask.

HTH.

Edited by FrankyG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Perfectionist

Great review !

Have been thinking of getting this for my new Imate Jam - basically something that would allow me to use my own decent quality earphones instead of the supplied crapolas and still not lose the handsfree phone function.... the bluetooth feature being an extra bonus

How is the sound quality when actually using the cables to connect ?

Is the earphone jack a 2.5mm or standard size ?

Do the keys work well to start and end a call ?

Is the unit very fragile/delicate, ie will it break after a few months of daily use !

Cheers :lol:

Guest FrankyG
Great review !

Have been thinking of getting this for my new Imate Jam - basically something that would allow me to use my own decent quality earphones instead of the supplied crapolas and still not lose the handsfree phone function.... the bluetooth feature being an extra bonus

How is the sound quality when actually using the cables to connect ?

Is the earphone jack a 2.5mm or standard size ?

Do the keys work well to start and end a call ?

Is the unit very fragile/delicate, ie will it break after a few months of daily use !

Cheers :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I just used the wired connection this morning for music and it's fine. It's basically just a pass through unit when in audio mode..

The earphone jack is standard size, meaning you can use your own 'phones.

The keys to start/end a call are in fact the same button, which has a solid enough click but it's nothing special.

No I don't think it will break, there's really not that much to it. Although I don't think the shiny front silver panel will stand the test of time, it looks like it's just sticky silver paper stuck to the front! The Clip on the other hand is prett strong and long enough to get a good grip on whatever you clip it to.

If you're not that worried about getting wirefree music, then this will probably suit you just fine. You pays your money and takes your chances :(

Cheers.

• 2 months later...
Guest _Age_
Ok, I just used the wired connection this morning for music and it's fine. It's basically just a pass through unit when in audio mode..

The earphone jack is standard size, meaning you can use your own 'phones.

The keys to start/end a call are in fact the same button, which has a solid enough click but it's nothing special.

No I don't think it will break, there's really not that much to it.  Although I don't think the shiny front silver panel will stand the test of time, it looks like it's just sticky silver paper stuck to the front! The Clip on the other hand is prett strong and long enough to get a good grip on whatever you clip it to.

If you're not that worried about getting wirefree music, then this will probably suit you just fine. You pays your money and takes your chances  ;)

Cheers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have just order one of these. And first thing i will use this for is Skype, and for my mobile. Of course if i can use it to listen on music on my Ipaq it would be nice.

That question i have to you is.

When you use your own headphones can you use it like a headset for the phone?

BR

Markus

Guest FrankyG
I have just order one of these. And first thing i will use this for is Skype, and for my mobile. Of course if i can use it to listen on music on my Ipaq it would be nice.

That question i have to you is.

When you use your own headphones can you use it like a headset for the phone?

BR

Markus

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I have used my headphones/headset to make/receive calls.

Cheers...