Is the C500 a smartphone

Guest mike_freegan

Guest Tomas Kocanda
Error

The settings could not be opened. !

Good. I hope they will finally give you money instead of hard reset, you will buy that P910 for £15O and will be happy. People here will be happy too...

Well my smartphone certainly HAS LESS PHONE FEATURES THAN MY 1998 motorola timeport which was low-spec at the time. The C500 just makes its poor features look pretty with bright colours. You must use the phone for making calls only if you haven't noticed the lack of function.

May you prove it? I´m 100% sure that your previous post is nothing else then statement without connection with reality. I don´t know you Motorola Timeport, but I can compare it with my old Nokia 7650, what was really "smart" phone few years ago and operated by your favorite Symbian. There is only one feature, what is not possible to do (today) on c500/HTC - sending/receiving contacts by SMS. On the other hand, could you do T9-alike search in contacts even in the middle of the contact names? Not possible. Full synchronisation with Outlook? Hahaha. Details with unicode characters? Joke. Almost unlimited list of received/missed calls?

If you state something, prove it!

Guest Confused Stu

Mike, would it be worth saying that you are simply not going to get on with the C500 and leave it at that? You're still stating things in your posts that are possible (yes, even as standard) but that you simply haven't found them - e.g. deleting all SMS's in a folder. I know you'll say that it should be so intuitive it should be possible to do everything within 20 minutes of picking the phone up but that's simply somewhere we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I really feel this topic has run it's course. The C500 isn't for you, and you are never going to like it. That's fine - the world will be boring if we were all the same. There's simply no point in adding more posts to this topic as you're not writing to be constructive, you're simply posting to argue. I, for one, have better things to do.

I suggest we all leave Mike to his rant. He'll get pretty bored very quickly if we all simply fail to rise to this drivel.

Guest sticman

I dunno about you guys, but the prices I see in this thread are crazy. I got my Audiovox SMT5600 in Amazon.com for -$25. Yes, -$25. That's $225 with $250 in rebates. The cheapest I have ever seen a P8xx or p9xx is $499. That's the current price on the SE website. That's a price ratio of...infinity! Well, that's a heck of a comparison. So, I can't really compare because I have never been rich enough to buy a P-whatever. Having said that, I have been ecstatically happy with the SMT5600. Toms of features, solid design, great display, great reception... And did I mention the price? :lol:

Guest Pondrew

Now that the 'grrrr' factor has worn off I think I speak for everyone (aside from mike_freegan) when I say 'huh'? Your logic is bizare. Thankfully you're in a minority.

*Yawn* Think Confused Stu is right that we should just let this thread drift into obscurity...

On a side note, the Motorola Timeport was far from bottom of the range (tri band with voice dial in 1997)!

Guest shack77
I've heard that Orange disabled it too (somewhere else on the forums).  Not sure if it's true as I've always used SmartExplorer from www.binarys.com since my first SPV.  Took one look at the included File Manager on my C500, went "urgh!" and downloaded SmartExplorer.  Haven't looked at the installed File Manager since!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had a good laugh at this one. Last week I phoned Orange, and moaned that I couldn't send files by Bluetooth. I'd just received a HUGE file from a chap in my shop who wanted to send it to a colleague... Anyway, I digress.

The chap on the the other end said that they had disabled that function. I asked if it was something to do with the licences and wondered aloud if Orange were being tight, and he mumbled that it was so we'd have to send a file using the MMS function. Of course, I then commented that it was a bit crummy of Orange to make us pay for this when the technology was clearly there, and he agreed, and said they weren't about to let us run riot sending stuff for free. Sadly I did not get the name of this extremely helpful, albeit a bit too honest, chap. So there you are, folks, Orange just want your money!!

Thank the lord for SmartExplorer!!

But above all, thanks for this forum!

The Shack

PS Sent my dad into an Orange shop today, he asked for a C500 and the bloke managed to give him a Sanyo S750, telling him it would do everything the C500 did, but with video calling. Dad was none too pleased when I told him it didn't even run on Windows.... and he's a systems analyst who's brain virtually runs like a computer! Doh!!

Still, I got 25 sheets credited to my account! Good old Orange!!

Edited by shack77

(PS i am begging if anyone has even a s***-up old P900 I will trade for a shiny new C500.. please?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I've just bought a C500 to replace my year old P900, but the wife is insisting that it gets put away for my birthday next month :lol: I am then intending to 'fleabay' my P900, or get rid of it some other way.

It has been well used, as they say, and I took the flap off because it was too bulky, and can't remember where I put it, but I will look for it! Comes with 128MB card, cradle, spare chargers etc.

Let me know if you're interested and we can come to some arrangement, as my daughter quite fancies a C500 as well

stunno at gmail dot com

Guest hothands2

I do not agree with you i feel the Orange C500 is a true smartphone and a pleasure to use once you get use to it ,the problem is the user guide not enough info in it ,I too had the Sony ericsson P800 +THE P900 and now the P910i on Vodafone but you cannot compare these phones with the C500 and in most cases the Orange C500 with a monthly contract is free ,try and get the P910i for nothing ,and as a pay as you go at MoDaCo see the price differences ,you need to get use to using the C500 and if you have a problem here,s the place to come .

Guest mike_freegan

The age old phrase springs to mind here: "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

My C500 has now taken to having an error screen on during calls, and the right softkey stuck on "call progress" all the time. Great.

Still, I got 25 sheets credited to my account! Good old Orange!!
If you used the member get menmber deal your dad will NOT be able to take his phone back as this negates the 14 day trial period! Unless the phone is faulty he's stuck with it! I EVENTUALLY think I may have got them to do it. Even though it is in the contract (I study contract law) that they HAVE to tell you that when you sign up, and it is their duty to prove that they did, they just like to say "you have a problem, take it to court".

If your dad is unhappy, I have heard there are problems with the Sanyo's bluetooth modem functions. Orange will have to take it back if he can prove this. Hope that helps

Now that the 'grrrr' factor has worn off I think I speak for everyone (aside from mike_freegan) when I say 'huh'? Your logic is bizare. Thankfully you're in a minority.

WTF? maybe most people who own it hate it so much or don't require the advanced features and so don't come on here. Most C500 users do not use Modaco. I only know 2 people who actually own this phone and we both hate it. My friends laugh at it 'cos everything it does it does badly. I'd say in terms of the smart phone world C500 lovers could easily be the minority compared to haters! Symbian is the most popular OS and most Symbian users and Blackberry users would probably hate this expensive paperweight

- Mike

Guest xenophobe

Mike, someone JUST offered to trade your C500 for his P900, and you didn't jump on it? lol

How come you don't have a post in For Sale/Swap forum asking for a trade?

Had a good laugh at this one. Last week I phoned Orange, and moaned that I couldn't send files by Bluetooth. I'd just received a HUGE file from a chap in my shop who wanted to send it to a colleague... Anyway, I digress.

The chap on the the other end said that they had disabled that function.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just checked my SMT 5600. The option to beam it to IR or Bluetooth is enabled.

Guest shack77

Stupid question - is the SMT 5600 the same phone but in a different country? If so, it's probably just Orange UK being slightly evil (little finger to corner of mouth).

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I think he's going to persevere. I'll just have to get him some reins so I can keep an eye on him!!

The Shack

Edited by shack77

maybe most people who own it hate it so much or don't require the advanced features and so don't come on here.  Most C500 users do not use Modaco.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So why are you here ? :lol:

Personally, I have enjoyed using the MS smartphone more than any other phone so far but then again I don't expect everybody is the same. If you are never going to see the C500 for it's potential then make the effort to change it for something else. I don't have any problems with my phone regardless of how many problems you seem to have with yours. Possibly this is a user issue we have here :(

Guest Pondrew
I only know 2 people who actually own this phone and we both hate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know 2 people with the C500? A mate and yourself?! Do you always refer to yourself in the third person? You're worrying me Mike. Isn't that a sign of madness! :twisted: (or do you go in for the Royal 'we'! :lol: )

Anyway, it's no good guys. Mike seems blind to the 90+ percent of posts in this thread contrary to his opinion. That strange story about the majority of C500 owners hating it was interesting to say the least.

Mike, if it's any comfort I owned a C500 (received as an upgrade on one of my accounts) for just half a day before selling it on having decided to get an MDA III (and keep my E200 for when needed). Why didn't I mention this before? Because I disagree with your opinion of the C500 and didn't want to give you ammo. I should add that my experience with the C500 was entirely positive and the buyer has had no problems at all...

Edited by Pondrew

Guest beersoft

ohh, this thread still not died a death?

if we are going to play "i know X people with smartphones" apart from the members i have stalked here, i know 4 other people who don't post here at all if that counts, and all of them like the phone, and some of them even use 2% of the features on it

later

Owen

Guest xenophobe
Stupid question - is the SMT 5600 the same phone but in a different country? If so, it's probably just Orange UK being slightly evil (little finger to corner of mouth).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's basically the same phone... there are a few minor differences....

The branding, oem plugins, 850/900 support, wmp 10/9, and File Manager Beam send....

There might be a few other things, but so far those are the main differences. Mostly in the ROM.

Guest shack77
It's basically the same phone... there are a few minor differences....

The branding, oem plugins, 850/900 support, wmp 10/9, and File Manager Beam send....

There might be a few other things, but so far those are the main differences.  Mostly in the ROM.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah....

I'd love to be able to understand anything after "branding" but I've only been at this a fortnight. I'll keep looking at it as I learn and maybe someday..

Many thanks for letting me know though. Everyone here is helpful!

Cheers,

Steve