Watching Videos...

Guest mike-oh

used pocketdivx encoder and dvdencrypter and I have to say that I've been very impressed with the results. Also they're free applications so absolute result :lol: Thanks for those who posted about them!

Guest chucky.egg
Has anyone tried this software?

http://www.makayama.com/dvdtopocketpc.html

I didn't see it mentioned here already. A buddy told me about it a few months ago, but don't know if he tried it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I tried it.

The demo worked fine, but the full version refuses to read my DVDs (don't know why). It should be a very easy product to use, and I suspect that the problem is as much down to my hardware as anything else

I've now got PocketDVD, which does have some issues, but is IMO much better and not much more complicated to use (especially given the extra control you have over the finsihed product)

If anyone wants a free Full version of the Makayama software then PM me and you can have my licence (on condition that you guarantee not to pass it on to anybody else, even if you decide not to use it).

Guest MitchellO

I have use DVD-to-PPC and found that it often got the wrong audio track (output was in some other language) and the the video wasn't that great for the size of output.

PocketDivXEncoder and Betaplayer work great together, and they are free!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rjones

Do not buy the makayama program. It won't read my dvd's either, and when converting from my hard drive the sound is way off and the movies won't play. There service is also terrible (got mine through handango). It looks like I am going to have to dispute the payment on my credit card.

Guest vegasbaby

The best video/audio codec for video quality at the moment is generally agreed to be nero digital. Anyone who has the full nero ultra cd-burner package can encode in 'portable' profile for pocket pc size video.

I think Betaplayer can playback nero ASP and in the last couple of days Ahead have released a beta of Nero Showtime Mobile for pocketpc (will play nero avc).

Haven't had time to test it yet (still waiting for 1gb SD card), but watch this space cos if nero can reproduce what they do on a pc for pocketpc it could beat everything else.

In the meantime, Betaplayer is the best player - divx, xvid, nero, mp3, aac, he-aac ....

Guest wesbar

You guys should try Pocket DVD Studio. One click from dvd straight to divx file with awesome results. It's not free but is well worth it. Theres lots of options too. I encode 372kbs video with 128kbs audio.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just encoded a movie using pocketdivx encoder and found the video once converted very blocky and not to great.

Could anyone recommend me some settings for a better result ,Thanks

Guest burnso
So which is the app that encoded the movies to be played with betaplayer and not win media player,is it pocket dvd wizard?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think pocketdivxencoder is best used for this.... Though someone will probably have to tell you the correct settings (and tell me too cos I just downloaded it!!!)

I've tried Pocket DVD wizard too and am not overly impressed.

Edited by burnso

Guest monty1

I think pocketdivxencoder is best used for this.... Though someone will probably have to tell you the correct settings (and tell me too cos I just downloaded it!!!)

I have had pretty good results with Pocketdivexencoder.Usually I start with the standard Pocket PC setting . I ramp up the the video and audio qualities according to the length of the movie , so it will fit on my 256 "movie" SD card . Typically I use audio setting 2 video 11 to 16 ( dependant on length of movie) . Volume and Brightness I leave at default . In advanced settings I select 2 pass encoding . it takes twice as long but on balance seems to give slightly better results . With 2 pass encoding it takes about an hour to rip the file . If the film is in wide screen I will use the crop option to cut out the black borders . I use DVD shrink to encode the Vob file first . This is a superb piece of software which will allow you to back up a movie to a single layer DVD, by cutting out the extras ,foreign languages etc . It also leaves an image of the file on your hardrive ,which you can point Pocketdivexencoder at and off you go ! AS A result I got I ROBOT (movie only )down to about 240 MEG using the above settings . Remember of course that DVD shrink should be used only on DVD s that you own !! ( dont want SONY at my door or yours :D )

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kr00t0n

I've been using virtualdub with my own tested settings on my mxp200, so I'll be playing around to see what gives good results on betaplayer on my new MDA :D

had it for all of 6 hours, and EVERYONE at work is jealous ;)

Guest mike-oh
had it for all of 6 hours, and EVERYONE at work is jealous ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it has that affect on people!

When you tell them it cost £10 they immediately think it's pinched!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest J273
my sound to video is slightly off.

I used divxencoder and betaplayer for playback

Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea same here also :?:

Guest monty1
Yea same here also :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried the option in Pocket div X encoder that allows you to synch the audio after its been encoded . There is also an option in Beta player to overide AVI frame rate based on audio. Not sure if either will fix your problem because I have not had time to play with these features

Guest En_croute
Have you tried the option in Pocket div X encoder that allows you to synch the audio after its been encoded . There is also an option in Beta player to overide AVI frame rate based on audio. Not sure if either will fix your problem because I have not had time to play with these features

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It improves it, but it's not always perfect.