Does your phone have the HTC-Soundbug?

Guest bazzo

hi,

some of you perhaps have alredy read my Analysis of the HTC-Soundbug. To find out if this bug is on your device too, you can test with the attached file.

Its a 17640Hz-sinetone with a level of -17dB. please do not test via earphones. If ur device has the bug, it should be heard with 25%-Volume, through the internal speaker. Please do not test if there are any animals around. Even with full-volume the -17dB should be harmless to your phone, but i refuse any responsibility on damages.

Please post your result and testdevice in this thread.

Thx, bazzo

17640Hz-sinetone -17dB (44.1kHz/16b/mono)

(PCM uncompressed)

You play this file on your own responsibility!

17640Hz__17dB_mono_44_1kHz.rar

Edited by bazzo

Guest Tristan

Yep, bug is here as well, but closer to 14 seconds then 17 seconds... (Tried in betaplayer...) But if I listen to a song afterwards, and I really strain myself, I don't hear glitches...

Sorry, I forgot, this is on a SPV C500. And apparently, it IS after 17 seconds. But! It's every 17 seconds after the first one. (So play 3 seconds of audio, stop, then play 14 more seconds, and it will occur)

Edited by Tristan

Guest Pondrew

Would be great if any of you guys/girls with HTC Feeler (SP3i/SDA/Xphone2) could test this and report back here. Bazzo can't do all the work!

EDIT: Must be bored as I just tried this on my E200. Unsurprisingly, no sign of a tssst sound (if it is a bug its only on new generation HTC Smartphones).

Edited by Pondrew

Guest spark9990

First try= Every 21 seconds

Second try = Every 15-17 seconds

Third try= Every 11=12 seconds

I hope HTC or Orange can sort the problem out. I just hope its software problem (i have a feeling it it).

...but closer to 14 seconds then 17 seconds...

...First try= Every 21 seconds

Second try = Every 15-17 seconds

Third try= Every 11=12 seconds...

good morning,

i can't belive what you were saying. If you'r rights this a new strange appearance of the bug, i really did many tests but the interval was ALWAYS approx 16,68s long during CONTINUOUS playing.

...so please make sure, you messure the interval between the noises in one playing of the file. If you have autorepeat on, you could have been messuring the interval between the last noise of a play and the first noise of the repeat.

regards bazzo

Guest spark9990
...so please make sure, you messure the interval between the noises in one playing of the file. If you have autorepeat on, you could have been messuring the interval between the last noise of a play and the first noise of the repeat.

regards bazzo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry, it was on auto repeat. the tsss sound comes every 16-17 seconds.

I don't intend to lower the technical value of the work you guys have done here in order to test the phones, but my question is: to what extend is this test useful to C500 owners?

There are two categories:

1. People who know they have the bug, so this confirms it and they feel angrier than before for the poor HTC design.

2. People who can't notice the bug (like me) while playing music and are quite happy with the phone. Now... if the bug manifetst on their phone with your testing method, all you do is transform some happy users into frustrated ones.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm not going to run the test on my phone and I'll continue to be a happy C500 user! :lol:

the bug is here too... and also on other three C500's of my friends. One strange thing though; If I'm playin the test through Media Player (open the testfile from galery) the sound is heard every 16 sec or so ... but if I play it within BetaPlayer, it is heard in the first second then after 17 sec again.

Still it is not noticeable (at least for my ears) if I'm playin regular MP3's or some movies I've stored on the phone.

regards

Guest Pondrew

Right. So this thread has reports of Orange C500 and Imate SP3s with the fault.

No T-Mobile SDA, Imate SP3i or O2 XPhone 2 (the HTC Feeler designs) yet. Is this because none have tried or because they can't hear the noise? Does the HTC Feeler design not suffer this? Bazzo, what if you changed the thread title slightly to try and persuade some of these owners to test their 'phones?

Edited by Pondrew

hi,

i first noticed the bug on my ex-SDA. Now I have a SDAmusic, with that davice i've made the tests. So both models do have the bug.

Any suggestions on changing the title?

Perhaps a newsposter could put a small link on the portal?

regards bazzo;)

Edited by bazzo

Guest shadamehr

Well I can't test this at all, because for some bloody stupid reason, Windows Media Player on my phone no longer lists .wav files in the playlist.

I've tried using Smart Explorer to re-assign the file types, and it says it is now assigned to WMP, but it still shows a Sound Recorder icon next to .wavs and when I try playing them, it does now launch WMP, but nothing happens.

Mmmmmm.....

Hi, let me resume.

The bug is so far known on at least one device of the following Smartphones.

SDA

SDAmusic

SP3

SP3i

C500

qtek 8010

SMT5600

...keep on testing...

regards bazzo

Edited by bazzo

Guest Drewtech

Okay, I can categorically state that I don't have the bug on my Orange C500.

I have tested the .wav file and all I hear is silence. I have tried a version of it converted to a .wma and still the same. I have tested the Genesis track previously posted and couldn't hear it. I have a variety of music on my phone including some tracks from Jan Garbereks Officium, Queen, Mozart, Meatloaf and others. I have never heard the Tss. I don't think it is my ears since I am able to tune a guitar by ear.

I am not suggesting that the bug doesn't exist but it doesn't exist on my handset. The handset is about 1 month old and is in the same lock state as when it arrived. I have added a number of applications and I am using a 256MB card but that is all.

Maybe the problem is hardware related and is to do with a batch of boards or something - it could even be one machine making the boards.

I know this doesn't help resolving the bug but I am as certain as I can be that it isn't there on my handset.

hmmm, now im surprised.

perhaps you could post you devices serial-number and your rom-version.

if you heard silence there must be something wrong, 17640Hz should be still audible to an healthy young ear. how old are you? are you abled to record your mobiles output to your computer?

regards bazzo

Guest Drewtech

Now this is really curious. The first copy of it on my phone plays just silence but a second copy has the frequency and the Tsss sound. However, the Tsss does not appear in any of my music tracks.

Not sure what this adds to the argument now.

as said,

it could be hard to hear the TSSS in real music. The level of the noise highly depends on the type of music. (take a look at "Test 3") If you got the TSSS wit the testfile, you have to assume that the noise is in real music too. But the TSSS will never be as loud as with the testfile.

bazzo

Edited by bazzo