CAN'T READ MY EMAILS

CAN'T RECORD VIDEO COZ ITS MESSED UP THE STORAGE ALLOCATION

CAN'T USE IT COZ ITS FROZEN

CAN'T SET THE ALARM SNOOZE TIME

CAN'T USE OUTLOOK

ACTIVE SYNC CAN'T SYNC

BLA BLAH

ERRRGH THIS PHONE IS HORRIBLE

Anyone else had these problems? I'd be interested to know.

Ta

Jeez fella! Chill!

I personally think the C500 is great! A little bi of getting used to the OS after a lifetime of n0k1as, but I'm there after only 6 weeks.

I'm not experiencing any of the issues you are having, but that's maily due to all the good advice and postings on Modaco (and other extremely useful sites).

Do yourself a favor and calm down, be patient and have a look around. :lol:

If after that, you still don't like it... do what you threatened on another post and send it back.

Edited by cubik

As for freezing and video recording...

Have you checked the available flash storage memory using Space Maker ? The C500 uses the phones flash memory for storing files like E-mails + attachments, SMS and MMS messages. It stores temporary IE files and also preloads cab files into storage memory. If you use too much memory for your own files then the phone will start to struggle. Try storing everything to SD card and also remember to set phone applications to SD card where possible i.e video captures, photos, photo themes, ringtones etc. Use Task Manager and Spacemaker regularly and periodically check the Pocket IE memory usage. Hopefully this should keep your phone from freezing in the future.

Many of the other questions you are asking can be found in this section otherwise you may have to be more specific about the problems you are having.

Guest Confused Stu

"Anyone else have these problems" ...... Umm.... No!

I use my phone a lot for a showing off (I know, I'm sad!) and rarey run into problems. My bluetooth worked fine after I found out the COM port on the PC needed to be in single figures; my Activesync works 99.9% of the time, and the remaining time a quick restart of either phone or PC works; no, I can't set the snooze time so I just get my arse out of bed when it goes off first time; it doesn't freeze; I can use Outlook; I can read my e-mails (maybe it's the combination of upper AND lower case letters in most mails that was throwing you); and I think I've made my phone my coolest gadget alongside my USB memory equipped watch!

Seriously, you can fix almost all of the problems listed by just spending some time with your new toy. I appreciate you may be frustrated and annoyed but what's the point of starting a new topic just to have a rant? All it will do is scare off potential C500 buyers by making them think the phones are crap - and more owners means more customer base for developers which means more toys released for adding onto your C500! :lol:

Guest bronksy

Check my 'discussion' from a while ago. I claimed that the C500 was overhyped and not all it's cracked up to be. Started a riot with the fans here...

Months later and I still think it's rubbish.

Guest Confused Stu

Each to their own Bronsky (by the way, nice picture in your signature - very cool!).

I didn't mean to be rude in my earlier post. I am aware that the C500 isn't for everyone and some people will hate it - in the same way as I hate any Nokia. It's not necessarily rational, it's just one of those things. I just get very annoyed with someone using a forum set up to show off what the phone can do, fix it's problems and help users out to purely have a rant and say non-constructively why they think the phone is complete rubbish.

Everyone has an opinion, but I just cannot abide people who think it's OK to just shout and rant without a point. It's not rational - it's just something that really gets on my wick. Apologies to anyone I upset or offended - I'm going to add this to the list of things to speak to my psychiatrist about! :lol:

Guest scott2eyes
WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS

CAN'T CONNECT VIA BLUETOOTH EASILY

Not a problem I've had, but then I've only used it once (to see if a bluetooth headset worked, but I haven't used it since.)

CAN'T READ MY EMAILS
Well, I use 2 email accounts (orange.net and hotmail), and haven't had any problems with either of them (apart from a bit of trouble with the orange.net account, but that was to do with the bizarre way they deal with usernames and nothing to do with the phone.)

CAN'T RECORD VIDEO COZ ITS MESSED UP THE STORAGE ALLOCATION

Can't you just change where it's set to store the video and delete/move any unwanted files in the storage memory?

Mine used to freeze up- I reset it and was a bit more judicious about what software I installed on it, and haven't had any trouble since. (ie. I think this is a problem with software rather than the phone itself.)

CAN'T SET THE ALARM SNOOZE TIME

Yeah- I would say that the alarm is the biggest weakness of the MS smartphone. I don't use the snooze thing myself, but I really miss the countdown timer on my T68i.

CAN'T USE OUTLOOK
Not a problem I've experienced...

ACTIVE SYNC CAN'T SYNC

Again, not something I've had any trouble with...

Ta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I haven't yet seen any other phone that I would rather have than my C500, and I got it for free. So I'd have to disagree with you on this one- although there are a few features that bug me (media player not being able to deal with simple playlists or FF/REW, and the limited usefulness of the alarm) I love it.

Guest mike_freegan
"Anyone else have these problems" ...... Umm.... No!

I have had every problem under the sun. Orange are being stupid heads too and won't allow my 14 day return. If they dont have it today it's going on ebay.

What a carp, unreliable, nasty piece of engineering. I'm sorry but I am still to find anything "smart" about it.

On top of all the problems listed last time:

1. Rejecting calls sets them as "missed". I didn't miss it if I voulentarily rejected it.

2. No obvious way to tell an alarm is set from the home screen

3. Time/date/alarm can't be edited if set to use .'s instead of /'s as separators.

4. In some calls the other person randomly can't here me even though both have perfect receiption.

5. Predictive text is interesting to say the least.

Guest scott2eyes

>>>2. No obvious way to tell an alarm is set from the home screen

There is if you use the E200 homescreen.

>>>>3. Time/date/alarm can't be edited if set to use .'s instead of /'s as separators.

I don't understand this one...

Guest beersoft

ok,

as your all to lazy to read the manual

>can't connect via bluetooth easily

cant connect to the pc? or headset or gps? read the guide and install sp2 and it will work

>can't read my emails

the setup wizard confused you? its easy, if you need help call your isp support for you mail details then call 156 and they will talk you though it

> can't record video coz its messed up the storage allocation

i guess you tried rebooting the phone, you might need to hard reset it

> can't use it coz its frozen

remove some of the random crap you have installed on it

> can't set the alarm snooze time

it snoozes for 5 mins that should be enough snooze for anyone

> can't use outlook

user error or bad install, try reinstalling it from the cd

active sync can't sync

uninstall it, reinstall office/outlook then install activesync again

and

1. Rejecting calls sets them as "missed". I didn't miss it if I voulentarily rejected it.

well it was an unanswered call, so you did miss it

you can install one of the many alarm plugins

3. Time/date/alarm can't be edited if set to use .'s instead of /'s as separators.

having the date as 19.2.05 is settings > regonal settings > short date format

4. In some calls the other person randomly can't here me even though both have perfect receiption.

dunno about that, it happens to me as well, but i get over it quite quickly

its better than it was, at least its not that strange thing that the mpx220 has (itype of something)

as i say, RTFM, its full of usefull info and can save loads of typing bitchy posts here

later

Owen

Guest Confucious
>>>>3. Time/date/alarm can't be edited if set to use .'s instead of /'s as separators.

I don't understand this one...

It is actually a known bug - not sure why anyone would want to use . as seperators but if that is what makes or breaks a phone for you then stear c500! :lol:

I love my C500 and didn't realise just how bad it was until Mike told us :(

Just out of interest Bronsky, what do you consider the best phone available now?

Edited by Confucious

Guest bronksy
Just out of interest Bronsky, what do you consider the best phone available now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One that is a PHONE and does PHONE things. Like make and recieve calls without

"speed-dial was broken and has been fixed" appearing

or

"unable to place call"

or taking 20 mins to regain a signal when you have been out of coverage for more than 5 mins.

One that doesn't have to have the volume low because the mic picks up the earpiece if it's too loud.

Don't get me started. It's an over rated device if you're looking at a phone.

Thats my opinion.. bring it on. (again)

Guest Pondrew
One that is a PHONE and does PHONE things. Like make and recieve calls without

"speed-dial was broken and has been fixed" appearing

or

"unable to place call"

or taking 20 mins to regain a signal when you have been out of coverage for more than 5 mins.

One that doesn't have to have the volume low because the mic picks up the earpiece if it's too loud.

Don't get me started. It's an over rated device if you're looking at a phone.

Thats my opinion.. bring it on. (again)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice way to not answer the question. He was asking which smartphone does what the C500 doesn't? As in which model by which manufacturer? Which smartphone are you talking about? Or are you talking about mobiles in general? Couldn't you give a civil answer to a civil question?

Guest Psicotix

This is the only issue that I have with my C500 - the occasional crashes. As a friend said, what do you expect, it's running MS?... Apart from that, I've had no trouble setting up POP3 and IMAP email accounts, syncing w/ outlook or pretty much any of the other problems you appear to have.

Ta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bluetooth is buggy, but easily workable (only used it to sync and connect to internet via PC). I've been reducing slowdowns and crashes by having the amount of available RAM easily visible on the homescreen - if the machine is running slow it is invariably bcos I have too many apps running. Or I'm trying to do something with xBar.

With no experience of Smartphones before this, I don't really have anything to compare. I've had some of the problems you experienced, but they've all been easily rectified. Overall, my user experience has been pretty good, partly down to being able to find solutions to my problems here on Modaco and at the M$ help and support site.

:roll:

Sorry about that!

Guest bronksy
Nice way to not answer the question. He was asking which smartphone does what the C500 doesn't?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you will find that the question was:

"Just out of interest Bronsky, what do you consider the best phone available now?"

I don't see Smartphone mentioned here anywhere. He asked me which phone I considered the best phone available. Having not experienced every handset on the market, I pointed out my requirements for a handset that would make it the best in my opinion. The C500 is no way the best phone on the market due to the problems we've discussed here.

Or have I missed something?

Guest Confused Stu

Fair point "Smartphone" wasn't mentioned, only "phone". Still concerned you've posted twice and still haven't answered the question. You've seem to have stated that there isn't a phone out there that you'd consider perfect, but the question was which is the best. Even if you consider all to be completely sub-standard then one must still be best - even if it's "least useless".

Come on dude, we're all curious now - what is your favourite phone at the moment? After all, if it is better than a C500 (in your opinion) then maybe we should all look at it and you might get a few converts.

Guest beersoft

bronski,

"I pointed out my requirements for a handset that would make it the best in my opinion. The C500 is no way the best phone on the market due to the problems we've discussed here."

please enlighten us on what the best phone on the market is, because bitching about the minor things that the c500 doesn't do for you isn't telling us what YOU think the best phone on the market is

later

Owen

"feeding the trolls"

Guest Confucious

While Bronsky hasn't told us what the best phone is in his oppinion he has pointed out that he doesn't want a Smartphone and only needs a basic phone.

That's fine, we all have different wants/needs.

For those of us that want a Smartphone (or even smartphone) I still believe the C500 has no rival. It has some minor problems but nothing that detracts from it's sheer wealth of features that no other phone (apart from perhaps the P910) can match and the small form factor, together with remarklable price, makes it a no brainer for me. :lol:

Guest bronksy

the imate jam is quite nice, but stylus only is a little annoying, the form factor is very good, the new model that may have Wifi, is a very good thing.

I just can't help feeling that these phone.. these smartphones are just not quite there yet. I don't know why we have to suffer bad quality builds of products in order to progress...

Guest mupwangle
1. Rejecting calls sets them as "missed".  I didn't miss it if I voulentarily rejected it.

As mentioned earlier - if you don't answer a call you miss it. That's just a pedantic point as various manufacturers classify it differently.

Have you tried any other homescreens? Thats one of the big pluses with ms phones - you aren't stuck with the mince the manufacturer gives you.

3.  Time/date/alarm can't be edited if set to use .'s instead of /'s as separators.

Erm - try using / then. ;-)

I have had that on every single phone I've owned on every network - including analogue. If anything I've had it less on this one.

I find the c500 predictive text excellent. It beats the hell out of any Motorola, Samsung or Panasonic text I've used recently and I find it more user friendly.

You obviously don't like the phone for personal preference reasons - nothing at all to do with the phone itself. Get over it!

Guest xenophobe
the imate jam is quite nice, but stylus only is a little annoying, the form factor is very good, the new model that may have Wifi, is a very good thing.

I just can't help feeling that these phone.. these smartphones are just not quite there yet. I don't know why we have to suffer bad quality builds of products in order to progress...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it three times better than the C500? It certainly is about 3 times the price over here... and it's not a smartphone.... it's a PocketPC class device. What PHONE would you say is better?

I can give you a whole bunch of reasons why a Toyota truck isn't as nice as my 3/4 ton Ford... just because they're both pickup trucks doesn't make them justifiably comparable.