Orange preps 240x320 SPV C550

Guest PaulOBrien

What is the issue with 18k screens?

if it's a true 18bit screen (i.e. the colours are held as 18bit, not a 16bit value converted by the phone to the display) then there are a few issues, some of which are :-

- potentially it breaks all existing graphics libraries, as they will have been written for 16bit - which means they have to be written to support both formats - not an easy rewrite and also takes time

- as a result this can also break existing software (especially games)

- by going to 18bit you are actually using 3 bytes to store the data (which is actually 24bits, so why not go the whole hog?), whereas 16bit is 2 bytes - this means that the screen uses 50% more memory, as do all the graphics that you load in to memory (as you want to store them in the format of the screen for fastest blitting)

- and more memory means more data to throw around, which means slower performance (for the same speed hardware)

so in general 18bit will actually use 50% more memory, means rewriting graphics libraries and is slower

18bit actually is a bizarre format, because it's taking the same speed and memory overheads as 24bit without the extra colour depth

so far I know of a couple of devices that have 18bit capable screens, but use an internal converter to convert 16bit format colour to the 18bit screen

so not a fan :lol:

muff

Edited by muff

Guest Chaser81

I remember when the C500 was announced and I saw my first pic of it. I thought it was UGLY as sin and swore I would never touch it. Upon getting one in my hands though and feeling the quality of the construction, I grew to love it, so I will reserve judgement on this one.

Guest beersoft

i think i need to see this in the flesh so to speak, and get some firm specs for it, if its 3g im very tempted

why are orange tempting me with so many nice phones, this or jam or wait or something else, arrggghh!!! i dont know :lol:

later

Owen

Guest mavisdavis
- as a result this can also break existing software (especially games)

muff

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now we all know how Orange like mobile gameing. :lol:

Lets hope they do use a 9 way joystick and not skimp on it just because it's aimed at music lovers.

Hey Orange.. music lovers also play games ya know :twisted: So get the bloody design right and I may not jump ship this year :(

[edit]

Lets not forget the multiple key press issue :evil:

Edited by mavisdavis

Fantastic news. Are those SDA Music style Play/Forward/Rewind buttons I see?

And Drblow: should be Smartphone as the increased screen resolution was announced for the Smartphone platform by Microsoft months ago, just no one's released one on the market yet.

Oh, and I'd be amazed if this DIDN'T have Windows Media Player 10. The reason Orange haven't made it available for C500 is probably to ensure when they do release a Smartphone with WMP10 that it's all the more attractive to new customers and upgrades alike!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that m8! :lol:

So that would give a fella quite a bit more room onscreen for plugins!! :twisted: I have been thinking of making the move to PPC when the M500 comes out, but I might just hold on for this little number. Although, I really hope it doesn't end up in a moto mpx 220 situation, and we are still talking about release dates in december! :twisted:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

qVGA at last! I'm getting one as soon as they're available ;p That'll be another £15 on my phone bill and however much Orange extort out of me for it. Wonder if it'll start as cheap as the C500 did back in August?

Guest Chrisss

I have an upgrade coming in April, I think. Hmm, to wait for this (potentially a lot longer than May if it doesn't come out quite then or there are stock problems) or just to get a C500?

I'll be very glad to see the back of my E200. The joystick on this thing have caused me no end of problems.

Guest mavisdavis

So full of faith. That'll explain the angel wings...not.

We all know its not going to hit the shops in May and I'll eat my boxer shorts if it does.( yes this weeks pair)

And I just hope to god that it doesn't come with the Camera Problems The Moto had

Guest ClintEastman

looking good, now do i get this or a M500... Hmmmmmm :?:

Well i guess ill wait till my 3G trial is over and see what Orange offer me next.

:lol:

Edited by ClintEastman

Guest mark4130

Mmm, that looks perdy. If its planned for May, that means in the shops for August... my upgrade is due in October so it should be sorted by then!!!!! :lol: :( :D :D :D

Guest sheltem

A lesser known improvement of WM2003SE for Smartphones is the addition of QVGA support. Since this phone is coming out pretty soon, I'd imagine it would be still WM2003SE.

Guest www.msmobiles.com
Interesting one tho, if it IS 2003SE, then it will quickly become outdated when Magneto based handsets start to arrive...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul: I have heard vague rumors that magneto will be delayed, so better hardware manufacturers stop waiting for it...

Leigh: story with credit to Cool is coming today. So stay cool!

more than likely, it looks like orange are about to release a decent phone! i like it, obviously orange have listened to the wo`s of the c500 masses, corrected them and release the c550. :roll:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.