SMT-5600 AND BT800

Guest MrDSL

Well I just got this baby and the bad news is it appears the caller id does not work at all. I dunno its very weird but it actually worked 2 times(just showed the numbers) and ever since if the number is in my contacts it displays a few jacked up characters and if its not in the contacts then its blank. Grrr what the hell it did work 2 times but I dunno what happened I have tried pairing the devices again and everything but no luck so I'm really confused since it did actually work 2 times maybe its defective?.. It doesn't play my ringtones through the headset either when I set my ringtone to phone settings. It has 5 ringtones and vibrate and that seems like enough and I prefer the vibrate function

Voicedial works exactly like its suppose to and I haven't had any problems with it so not much else to say about this yet.

I carry my cell phone in the left inside pocket of my winter jacket and wear my headset on the right and I didn't have any static or anything while talking and walking and driving the car but I haven't really tested going into other rooms etc yet..

I called and talked to 3 different people and didn't even mention I was using a headset and when I told them said they couldn't even tell the difference and that was while driving. The volume seems to be loud enough but I do have it turned up to the max..

It feels pretty comfortable to me and I find it pretty easy to put on and off my ear. Some complain its loose but I think it fits fine and any tighter may not be as comfortable. I can bang my head pretty good and it doesn't move off your ear the most you get is the boom slightly tapping your cheek so you would need to really moving around to knock it off. I have had it on for about a 30min span and its still comfortable so I don't expect any problems there.

If the caller id doesn't work though I'll have to ebay it which is a shame because so far I really like it..

I hope someone DOES find a fix to the caller ID issue, because I got mine yesterday too and tried everything MrDSL tried. I bought this because of the Caller ID option it was supposed to have. Now I can't seem to ever have it working (and that's strange since MrDSL said that he at least got it to work a few times). If anyone finds an answer or a tweak on the SMT 5600, please let us know. Thanks.

Oh, and I also want to know if anyone who has the SMT 5600 and the Jabra BT800 has been successful in getting the profile to change on the phone from whatever it was before to "Handset"? My phone accepts the pairing and lets me make calls from the BT800 (only redial right now since I can't get the call lists with the Caller ID not working), but the profile on my phone always says "Normal" even when it registers the pairing and acknowledges the BT800 as a handsfree device.

Edited by Fusius

:cry:

I hope someone DOES find a fix to the caller ID issue, because I got mine yesterday too and tried everything MrDSL tried.  I bought this because of the Caller ID option it was supposed to have.  Now I can't seem to ever have it working (and that's strange since MrDSL said that he at least got it to work a few times).  If anyone finds an answer or a tweak on the SMT 5600, please let us know.  Thanks.

Oh, and I also want to know if anyone who has the SMT 5600 and the Jabra BT800 has been successful in getting the profile to change on the phone from whatever it was before to "Handset"?  My phone accepts the pairing and lets me make calls from the BT800 (only redial right now since I can't get the call lists with the Caller ID not working), but the profile on my phone always says "Normal" even when it registers the pairing and acknowledges the BT800 as a handsfree device.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does voicedial work for you? Works fine here

Right now when a call comes through it displays the yes and no to accept the call and above it should be the # but its blank. Is that how yours works?

I tried my buddies t610 and it won't even display the yes and no or nothing and his phone is on the compadibility list but I can't get the hands free profile to turn on his phone just the headset profile. If the caller id isn't working for you either then I guess then my hopes of having a bad unit are out the door.

Still no clue how I got the damn thing to work 2 times but now its not even showing them funny characters its just blank.. :cry:

Other then that the device works great...

:cry:

Does voicedial work for you? Works fine here

Right now when a call comes through it displays the yes and no to accept the call and above it should be the # but its blank. Is that how yours works?

I tried my buddies t610 and it won't even display the yes and no or nothing and his phone is on the compadibility list but I can't get the hands free profile to turn on his phone just the headset profile. If the caller id isn't working for you either then I guess then my hopes of having a bad unit are out the door.

Still no clue how I got the damn thing to work 2 times but now its not even showing them funny characters its just blank..  :cry:

Other then that the device works great...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't tried the voicedial. I don't have any software installed for that and I don't want to use voice tags. But yeah, my screen comes up blank with only the "YES" or "NO" labels on the screen to accept or reject incoming calls. And I can re-dial the last number I dialed from my phone by pressing and holding the "YES" button. I like the earpiece, but I wanted it because of the called ID option. I guess we're the only people who have the BT800 at the moment since no one is speaking up on this...

I just got off the phone with a Tech Support person at Jabra. After reviewing their internal documentation on the BT800 and the SMT5600, he told me that the reason the unit does NOT display Caller ID information is because there is no "Handsfree" profile on the phone. The Caller ID feature is something that happens when the phone "pushes" the Caller ID information to the unit.

MrDSL: I think I know how you were able to have "temporary" Caller ID on your phone. Talking with the tech person, he said that there may be a way to trick the phone into a hands free profile by initiating a voice call from the BT800. He said that doing that will "kick it into a hands free profile". Since you did a few voice calls from your unit, that may have been how you were able to get some numbers on the Caller ID window.

I guess the immediate solution would be to initiate a voice call from the BT800 and see if that forces the phone into a hands free profile for you. The tech said that it should stay that way, but i'm sure that's not true. And in the long term, I think we need to create a profile called "Hands free" somehow on the phone so that it can allow us to get the Caller ID information.

The only thing I use is the voicedial and it never makes the caller id part work..

Bums me out since the bluetooth crippled v710 even works with the caller id but not on the SMT-5600

I haven't decided if I'm gonna keep it or not yet..

The only thing I use is the voicedial and it never makes the caller id part work..

Bums me out since the bluetooth crippled v710 even works with the caller id but not on the SMT-5600

I haven't decided if I'm gonna keep it or not yet..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll try to see what I can get to work later on tonight. I'm underground in a location now where I can't get a cell signal.

Ok....here's what i've found. I initiated a call FROM my BT800 last night and then when someone called me, their number showed up on the caller ID of the unit (it was complete...no breaks in the number or unusual characters except the plus sign at the start of the numbers. BUT, it only worked once. Now, i'm not too sure if it's something I did because later on in the evening, I called someone by dialing their number from my phone instead of using the unit, but now when people call me, they DON'T show up on the BT800. So I guess the phone lost whatever it needed to have in order to trick itself into being in handsfree profile to push the caller ID info to the BT800. I want to know if Audiovox has a way of creating the handsfree profile and issuing it as a ROM upgrade. I still haven't figured out how to create my own profile on here....just change the settings on the existing profiles (which does me no good).

When you have your headset connected do you have the picture of a headset at the top of your status section where it shows signal etc?

When I get that on it will display a few jumbled characters if the number matches one in my contacts..

When you have your headset connected do you have the picture of a headset at the top of your status section where it shows signal etc?

When I get that on it will display a few jumbled characters if the number matches one in my contacts..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I have the picture of a headset displayed on the icon bar next to the "G" icon.

Sometimes I get matches to what's in my contacts, but other times I don't get anything or a blank display. So, it's too sporadic for me. I hope that either someone comes up with a way to "trigger" a hnadsfree profile or the folks who released the SMT5600 come up with an update that resolves the issue of missing a handsfree profile (and if they fixed the "tss" sound from the phone when playing sound files from headphones, then i'd REALLY be happy). It would also be nice if they didn't have some files locked so that we couldn't delete files (like those in the install history).

Unless Audiovox has specifically removed or crippled it the SMT5600 which is the same as the SPV C500 should include the bluetooth handsfree profile already

Edited by efjay

Unless Audiovox has specifically removed or crippled it the SMT5600 which is the same as the SPV C500 should include the bluetooth handsfree profile already

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hes right the phone does have hands free profile because you can go into the bluetooth section and then devices and it gives you the option to make it hands free if it isn't already and I know its on and I still get the jumbled characters or blank screen.

Hes right the phone does have hands free profile because you can go into the bluetooth section and then devices and it gives you the option to make it hands free if it isn't already and I know its on and I still get the jumbled characters or blank screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was looking around in the registry today and came across the HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Bluetooth->HandsFreeProfileOn key. I don't have any subkeys or values in that key and I was wondering if anyone knows of a key or value that needs to be there so that this will work like it supposedly does with other phones that have a handsfree profile.

Also, I know about setting the phone as a handsfree device. Did that already. Still not getting caller ID info sent to the phone.

Guest BrendanMX5
I was looking around in the registry today and came across the HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Bluetooth->HandsFreeProfileOn key.  I don't have any subkeys or values in that key and I was wondering if anyone knows of a key or value that needs to be there so that this will work like it supposedly does with other phones that have a handsfree profile.

Also, I know about setting the phone as a handsfree device.  Did that already.  Still not getting caller ID info sent to the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bump, Lets try a figure out a solution here guys. Is there any 3rd party app that can fix the problem we have here.

I would really like to get this headset...

Guest Drewtech

I don't know if this helps the debate or adds more confusion but I have a BT250 with the C500. Voice dialling works fine but the phone doesn't change profile to headset, except when a non-bluetooth headset is plugged in, so there is no chance to use the auto-answer option that is within the headset profile. This is despite the headset icon showing when the BT250 is connected.

My conclusion on this is that the bluetooth handsfree setup just routes the call to the bluetooth headset and allows it to act as the mike/speaker and appropriate buttons but does not have a seperate profile.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MrDSL

This is really fustrating.

Today it started showing my caller id on about 5 calls I had and it would show the number perfect.

Now its just showing that jacked up character instead..

ARRGGGG this is fustrating its obvious this feature should work but for whatever reason the headset won't display it right. I really hope Jabra can come up with a fix for this..

has anyone had any other ideas about using that registry entry or any other entries to make a bluetooth handsfree profile???

Sorta sucks you can use auto answer....

Guest drgnfly

I placed my order through HelloDirect for the BT800 to go with my AT&T Audiovox SMT5600 (had great customer service throughout my dealings with them so far, just sent an email alerting them to the issues I'm having. I hope they're as responsive after the sale has closed). I read this thread after I placed my order but before my headset had shipped so I called Jabra's US office directly to ask if they knew of any problems. The man on the phone said that the only issue involving the two was that there was a 3-5 second delay when answering a call with the headset. I pressed further, letting him know I'd read of problems online, and he told me that he had a big board of incompatibility issues there in front of him and the only reports they'd had were of the delay. He even made it sound as though a fix were in the works for that.

My headset arrived yesterday, and true to his word, there is a delay when answering calls. Unfortunately, the caller Id doesn't work at all. I'm also having a problem recording voice tags through the headset (as the manual recommends) and placing calls using the voice dial feature on the headset. The first few times, everything worked fine and I thought it was really slick. Then I realized that that was not due to any trick of the headset, the phone just has a great microphone. I isolated the phone and found that I was unable place a call by pressing the forward button and speaking the name. My phone's display would only say that it was unable to recognize the input. When I disabled bluetooth and used my phone, the voice tags functioned perfectly. Is anyone else having problems with this?

I've written an email to HelloDirect's tech support asking that they either send me solutions to the problems or an RMA. I've been looking around and the Sony HBH660 has the LCD caller Id. If I return the Jabra, I'm leaning in that direction. Anyone have any experience there? I also wanted to note that I'm not crazy about the fit of the BT800 - I do a lot of walking, and it was bouncing against my ear with every step.

Sorry for the longwinded post. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. I hope everyone's well.

Warm Regards,

Dragonflydagger

i bought a cardo scala 500 from compuplus for 50 bux shipped. it does EVERYTHING as advertised. voice dialing, redial, hang up, transfers from headset to phone, mutes calles, etc.

again, my one problem is that you can "specify a handsfree device" by using the bt headset, but windows mobile 2003 wont allow you to be in "headset" profile without pluggin in a headset. basically you cant auto answer with a bt headset and the smt 5600.... sucks... ah well.

Guest drgnfly

Thanks for the info on the Cardo Scala. I'll check it out. I've also been reading really good things about the Bluespoon AX and I like the small form factor.

• 2 months later...
Guest hkwong

ive got it.. to get your caller id to work you need to disable the "Cdial.exe in your system tasks or download an app called BLUETUNES. it's an app that allows you to listen to you mp3 on your bt headset.

an addition

i think i know why people w/ the c500 can use the bt800 and the caller id works. please respond if your a c500 user. i am assumming that c500 users cannot hit the talk button to activate the voice dial. am i right? so being true then your bt800 headset will display the caller id. after playing around w/ my phone as usual. i've found that when the "cdial" is disable, my phone will not activate voicedial when i tap the call button on the bt800. this is also leading me to believe that the cdial app is the voice dial app. so does anyone know where to/ or is possible to disable the voice dial in the audiovox 5600 so i can test it

Edited by hkwong