• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything except Rap music and Carnies....<br /><br />....small hands, smell like cabbage....
  • Devices:o2 xphone / imate 2
hmmm...I dont know what is causing your hard reset problem there Stuart.

After making a change to take it to V2.00a.

Add threads to handle flight mode and bluetooth operations so that the state of the profile and selection is updated faster and the other stuff is done in the background.

Ive been punishing PPCProfiles-Pro for about 15 hours straight with an automated test harness that selects a new random profile every 30 seconds. switching in and out of every type of mode. Flight, bluetooth, etc.

While this has been running Ive been using other applications and basically trying my hardest to kill it. Watching dvds, etc

The good news is I havent been able to on my imate II. No lockups, not soft resets needed, no hard reset needed.

So having collected all the feedback from around the place and after convincing myself of the stability of the app on the desired platform Ive decided to release the first version.

It is V2.00a. Let me thank everyone that has provided feedback in private and in the public forums.

Please feel free to download the demo. It should be uploaded into the inital post of this thread.

Cheers

Bretto

Edited by bretto, 17 March 2005 - 05:03 AM.

Cheers

Bretto

--------------------------------------------
"Lifes a garden...DIG it!"
o2 xphone (e200) wm2003
Imate 2 (HTC Himalaya) wm2003se
O2 xda2 (HTC Himalaya) wm2005
O2 xda2 Mini (Magician) "Say hello to my little friend.."

c2fow

c2fow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Bretto,

How do I get rid of the nag screen (and before anyone says it, yes I did register on Tues last week!)

Regards,

Tony.

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything except Rap music and Carnies....<br /><br />....small hands, smell like cabbage....

Bretto,

How do I get rid of the nag screen (and before anyone says it, yes I did register on Tues last week!)

Regards,

Tony.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Tony

There is something funny happening on that platform. The registry seems as though its locked.

Im going to write you a little program that cleans up the ppcprofiles settings so you can reinstall.

Let me know if thats suitable

Cheers

Bretto

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Hi all

Has anyone experienced soft or hard resets using the latest version of the software? V2.00b.

Received an email that there are people around the place saying they have (not to me though). But they dont state any info for me to go on.

Ive have only received 1 email about this and that was from a user with a jam and a very late mode rom. And one from Stuart in this forum.

If you have can you please let me know what happened so I can look into it.

The whole application is written in vanilla win32 and uses the standard Microsoft api calls. With the exception of system volume, in call volume, bluetooth on/discoverable/off and flight mode on/off all the product does is update registry settings. So with regard to soft and hard resets I would like to know what if anything my app is doing to cause them. Or is it something in the MS apis that needs looking into??

Some info would be awesome guys.

Thanks

Bretto

Edited by bretto, 21 March 2005 - 12:08 PM.

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Maiming
I just decided to try this nice looking app & downloaded the demo from Handango.

All seemed OK until the install finished on the device (and MDA Compact) whereupon it promptly reset itself & left me looking at a blank white screen. I tried several soft resets and all I got was this blank white screen and nothing else.

I ended up having to do a hard reset and now have several hours of reinstalling all my apps etc :D Has anyone else had a similar problem with this? I'd love to try it, but don't really want to risk it again.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that the mind acquires speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking is a warning,
it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

I just decided to try this nice looking app & downloaded the demo from Handango.

All seemed OK until the install finished on the device (and MDA Compact) whereupon it promptly reset itself & left me looking at a blank white screen.  I tried several soft resets and all I got was this blank white screen and nothing else.

I ended up having to do a hard reset and now have several hours of reinstalling all my apps etc :D  Has anyone else had a similar problem with this?  I'd love to try it, but don't really want to risk it again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

I just posted about this very thing. Could you let me know more info about your device and installed programs etc.

There is a custom part of the setup which at install time after the installation has completed (all done by MS's cab installer) simply pops up a messagebox then sends a message to refresh the todayscreen.

Possibly the sending of the refresh message to the today screen has caused this problem or something else is happening when the application tries to set the default profile at start up.

I am very interested in getting to the bottom of this is you are.

Cheers

Bretto

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Hi

I just posted about this very thing. Could you let me know more info about your device and installed programs etc.

There is a custom part of the setup which at install time after the installation has completed (all done by MS's cab installer) simply pops up a messagebox then sends a message to refresh the todayscreen.

Possibly the sending of the refresh message to the today screen has caused this problem or something else is happening when the application tries to set the default profile at start up.

I am very interested in getting to the bottom of this is you are.

Cheers

Bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that's what I call a fast response! Thanks! :D

The device is a T-Mobile branded MDA Compact:

ROM Version: 1.01.00 WWE
ROM Date: 21/10/04
Radio Version: 1.00.10
Protocol Version: 1337.36
ExtROM Version: 1.01.128 WWE

Install on the device at the time were:

Spb Pocket Plus
Spb Weather
Spb GPRS Monitor
Microsoft Reader
Microsoft Voice Command
Bejewelled
Crazy Bubbles
Slurp!

Using the Spb Tech Ext today screen.

GPRS, Bluetooth & Beam were disabled...

Hope this helps!

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Now that's what I call a fast response! Thanks! :D

The device is a T-Mobile branded MDA Compact:

ROM Version:  1.01.00 WWE
ROM Date:      21/10/04
Radio Version: 1.00.10
Protocol Version:  1337.36
ExtROM Version: 1.01.128 WWE

Install on the device at the time were:

Spb Pocket Plus
Spb Weather
Spb GPRS Monitor
Microsoft Reader
Microsoft Voice Command
Bejewelled
Crazy Bubbles
Slurp!

Using the Spb Tech Ext today screen.

GPRS, Bluetooth & Beam were disabled...

Hope this helps!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its sad to say it this way but... Now that you have had to hard reset what happens when you install PPCProfiles-Pro with the clean system.

If this is possible I would like to know. Might give us some idea if its my app with your device or between apps.

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Its sad to say it this way but... Now that you have had to hard reset what happens when you install PPCProfiles-Pro with the clean system.

If this is possible I would like to know. Might give us some idea if its my app with your device or between apps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's quite alright, being a developer myself (though not of mobile phones, yet), I quite understand the advantages of trying something on a virgin system :D

I'm back at work at the mo, so will give it a try for you when I get back home in a couple of hours...

I'm more than happy to work with you to get it going :D Better now than after I fill the phone up again! :D

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Seams to me that everything that is even the slightest bit tricky is causing some grief on the mda III. And Im just talking about using standard MS calls to windows from microsofts evc++!

Stuart Im sorry to say you are not alone with the problem you were experiencing. I have to say I didnt doubt you had the problem just couldnt reproduce it and still cant. But others can :D

I wonder if we are running out of memory or if something is trying to access the same registry keys as I am at the same time?! Ive checked the source code and at this stage cant see how I can do what needs to be done when it sets profiles without doing what it does when it does it. hmmmm

Does anyone know where a developer can get one of these devices for testing?

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

That's quite alright, being a developer myself (though not of mobile phones, yet), I quite understand the advantages of trying something on a virgin system  :D

I'm back at work at the mo, so will give it a try for you when I get back home in a couple of hours...

I'm more than happy to work with you to get it going :(  Better now than after I fill the phone up again!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks FFM I appreciate it.

When you do get to start developing on these devices you might want to prepare yourself for lots of teeth ghashing and hair pulling :D

The great thing is that almost everyone in this type of forum is very helpful and the knowledge of members is staggering. Most have already done the hair and teeth thing and are happy to pass on the info :D

Its not really that hard as far as programming is concerned. Well apart from trying to get information on "undocumented features" and the fact that almost no two devices are the same. You have different ROMs, add-ons, OS versions, hardware, etc to contend with.

Sometimes I wish I would have been asked to develop a new image viewer or word processor. Something like this app has to work too closely with the middleware apis and device. I really am at the mercy of the api calls from MS.

With everyones help well get thru it.

I look forward to hearing of your results.

Cheers

Bretto

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
OK, on a completely virgin phone, I run the installer, tell it to install to the default location and wait.

As soon as the install finishes on the phone, it resets & just sits at the T-Mobile start screen doing nothing. I soft-reset and it does the same. While this is going on I can hear the USB Connect sound from my PC, but Activesync stays asleep.

I disconnected the USB & soft-reset again, but no change so it looks like your app doesn't like the JAM mate... Sorry about that :D

I had to hard-reset again to get the phone back up & running. Hope this helps?

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

OK, on a completely virgin phone, I run the installer, tell it to install to the default location and wait.

As soon as the install finishes on the phone, it resets & just sits at the T-Mobile start screen doing nothing.  I soft-reset and it does the same.  While this is going on I can hear the USB Connect sound from my PC, but Activesync stays asleep.

I disconnected the USB & soft-reset again, but no change so it looks like your app doesn't like the JAM mate... Sorry about that :D

I had to hard-reset again to get the phone back up & running.  Hope this helps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again FFM

Here is the good (bad 4 me) news.

I just finsihed upgrading the rom in my xda II to wm2003se which is close to the same os that everyone is having trouble on. The exact same thing is happening to my device.

I say this is good news because now that I have reproduced the fault I can address it.

I'll get back soon with a fix.

Cheers

Bretto

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Thanks again FFM

Here is the good (bad 4 me) news.

I just finsihed upgrading the rom in my xda II to wm2003se which is close to the same os that everyone is having trouble on. The exact same thing is happening to my device.

I say this is good news because now that I have reproduced the fault I can address it.

I'll get back soon with a fix.
Cheers

Bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, I was thinking it's probably 2003SE causing it... Seemed to be the only common factor...

Looking forward to a version I can use! :D Hope I haven't ruined a night off or anything! :D

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Cool, I was thinking it's probably 2003SE causing it... Seemed to be the only common factor...

Looking forward to a version I can use! :D  Hope I haven't ruined a night off or anything!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Night off! what is that :D

OK Ive found the cause of all my grey hair and sorry guys your hard resets.

Yes it was wm2003se and the way i was handling the construction of the today plugin. Just a half a dozen lines of code! A simple move of some of my code to another place and all is going ok.

Strangely wm2003 ROM 1.72.00 doesnt have a problem with how I was doing things but we live and learn.

There is also a bug with switching back from auto mode on wm2003se. Which I will attend to also.

I'm going to load test everything again before I post a trial version but that will only take a few hours.

Cautiously I would suggest that after all this the most recent devices will be supported. But that will still be trial an error for some unfortunalety.

Cheers

Bretto

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
Glad you found the cause & that it was fairly simple (aren't they always?)

Looking forward to a version I can try! :D

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Hi All

Ive thoroughly tested PPCProfiles-Pro V2.00c on my wm2003se system and all looks good to me.

No resets (soft or hard) no lockups or apparent functionality problems.

I would be very surprised if anyone experiences the problems V2.00b was having but please let me know about any glitches.

For those of you who would like to have a look here is the demo.

Cheers

Bretto

Attached File  PPCProfilesPro_demo_v2_00c.exe   114KB   342 downloads
Attached File  PPCProfilesPro_demo_v2_00c.PPC2003_ARM.CAB   685.5KB   346 downloads

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
Well, you'll be glad to know it's now installed OK and running happily on my MDA Compact :D

Now to play with it a bit :D

How long is the demo for? Didn't notice a timeout in it...

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Well, you'll be glad to know it's now installed OK and running happily on my MDA Compact :D

Now to play with it a bit :D

How long is the demo for?  Didn't notice a timeout in it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats great FFM glad to hear it :D

You can evaluate the demo as long as like.

Cheers

Bretto

Cheers

Bretto

o2 xphone (e200) wm2003

mike-oh

mike-oh

MMmmm shiny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Interests:Sky Diving, Go Karting, Travelling
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
Hello again!

I've been trying to install the latest version and it doesn't seem to be working. I've done a softreset and it doesnt appear on my today screen or in the items list within the today screen setup.

Cheers,

mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users