SMS only 70 chars when using '

Guest mhanbury

Guest mhanbury

Anyone know if there is a fix for this. When ever sending sms txt messages using words with apostrophies e.g. don't or I'm etc the sms char counter changes from 160 to 70 and wen you go over the 70 char it creates another message?

Does anyone know of a fix for this. I've now upgraded with the new O2 131 ROM and its still does it. Very annoying?

Guest Farhad

Ok guys, I know i'm new to both the forum and the phone, but I have managed to find out thus far that it is only the ' that the predicitive text, or intelligent text enters that is of the problem, and if you actually type the ' in yourself as you are typing the problem is not faced. Now why this is as it is I dont know, but I have seen that when typing: weve and letting the phone enter the ', a whole lot of test space disappear, but if I actually type or write we've with the ' then it does not do that.

I am wondering if, like Microsoft Word's autocomplete, the phones automatic entry for a missing is a different ASCII code then the usual code used for SMS ', and therefore since it is a different ACSII the problem arises.

I have looked elsewhere on th net and it seems that the program writers PhatWare, who right the much better version of the Transcriber software called CalliGrapher are awair of the problem, and are working on a fix.

Know I know that the lastest version of CalliGrapher is 7.4 and I am not sure if that has already resolved the problem, as I only have version 7, but if anyone out there has purchased, or obtained :?, the 7.4 version can you please confirm if this problem still exists.

Guest Farhad

OK since i last wrote, which i think was only a few seconds ago, i think I have found apossible fix... well when I say fix I actually mean a change in settings, goto the Messaging and within the Text Message inbox, click on Account>Accounts...>* Text Messages and untick the Use Unicode when necessary. Click on ok and try it out.

Although I have only tried this settings for a few moments now and I can garantee that it has any other implications, I did see the sugestion on this site, so perhaps best to visit the forum a few times and keep yourself updated:

http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic....ghlight=unicode

hope that helps.

Guest mhanbury

YES turning off the unicode on the txt account appears to have solved the problem has anyone else tried this?

Does anyone know if this has any other implications?

Guest theanarch1st
YES turning off the unicode on the txt account  appears to have solved the problem has anyone else tried this?

Does anyone know if this has any other implications?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes it does, this was solved a long time ago however when turning unicode off and keeping complete words on the ' appears as a ? on the device you send the txt message to.

Guest Farhad
yes it does, this was solved a long time ago however when turning unicode off and keeping complete words on the ' appears as a ? on the device you send the txt message to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well as the saying goes, u cant have your cake and eat it.. so either easy writing with ? instead of ' to receipient, or manual deleting of the ' when the appear...lol..

anyone else got any sort of resolve??

Guest gibbo_ap
Well as the saying goes, u cant have your cake and eat it.. so either easy writing with ? instead of ' to receipient, or manual deleting of the ' when the appear...lol..

anyone else got any sort of resolve??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ive only jus scanned through these post but i fixed it by;

setting-->input-->word completion(tab)

then unclicking the auto complete words thingy

hope this helps

Guest theanarch1st
ive only jus scanned through these post but i fixed it by;

setting-->input-->word completion(tab)

then unclicking the auto complete words thingy

hope this helps

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But as in the original topic about this problem, people want to use the auto completion for e-mail therefore you would have to enable it and then disable everytime you want to send an e-mail which would get kinda tedious don't ya think

ah well i guess this will be asked a few more times.

2 options are

1. disable the auto completion therefore no unicode ' is used

2. disable unicode and have the ' appear as a ?

as previously said have ya cake and eat it :D however i generally jus leave it on with unicode disabled and just type the words i need to use ' in as this saves a lot of time.