Microsoft debut Voice Command for UK customers

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

After many, many, MANY months of waiting... Microsoft Voice Command for Pocket PC is now available from Handango tuned to those of us in the UK!

Full details and purchase details can be found here... a quote from which is posted below.

I've used this app in both US and UK guises... and it's EXCELLENT!, a must have for Pocket PC owners! :D

P

Voice Command transforms your Pocket PC into your own virtual personal assistant, letting you use your voice to look up contacts and place phone calls, get calendar information, play and control your music, and get key device status and information. Voice Command makes it easier and more convenient than ever to take your digital lifestyle with you wherever you go.

The state-of-the-art speech technology means you will never have to pre-record important phone numbers or use difficult commands to access the information you need. Simply select one of the many commands that is most natural to you and let Voice Command do the rest.

vc_high_-_uk.jpg

Guest inspectorgadjet

*dashesofftobuyacopy* :D

At last, after using the US version for a good long while, I will be more than happy to buy the UK version now. I think it's a great app and in my experience runs well on both the BlueAngel and Magician.

Guest TigerNet

Got it, installed it and I'm now a happy bunny!!! (Especially as I was about to call a mate in the US and get him to buy it for me like Chaser81)...

Guest Chaser81
Got it, installed it and I'm now a happy bunny!!! (Especially as I was about to call a mate in the US and get him to buy it for me like Chaser81)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And now its my turn to feel left out for only having the US version!! Tigernet will be able to dial numbers with his voice and I wont cause of the US version expecting US style numbers!! :D

Guest TigerNet
And now its my turn to feel left out for only having the US version!! Tigernet will be able to dial numbers with his voice and I wont cause of the US version expecting US style numbers!!  :D

Heh Heh...as he dials happily away... 8) 8)

...worth the wait... ;)

Guest Disco Stu

Yesterday there was no way I was talking to my mobile device like it was some kind of artificial intelligence.

Today; whoo-hoo ! This is awesome. My voice is well croaky with a throat infection but Voice Recognition doesn't seem to care.

:D

Guest idavid

have been playing with this with increasing glee this evening. nice bit of software. can imagine it being pretty nice with a bluetooth headset. does like to play my u2 album kinda randomly sometimes tho...

Guest Pondrew
is there support for SMT5600/C500 smartphones?  couldn't find any mention on Microsoft's site

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry mate, Pocket PC software...

Guest lutzh

i have this in german for a while (unreleased still) - i was really unsure if i'll keep the mda compact or a smartphone as number one device. with this software the desicion was pretty easy: i am smartphone less now and only keept the jam...

cheers, lutz

Guest GDawes

Downloaded the US demo and I am impressed.

However I have one command I would like, and if anyone can tell me how or bash microsoft until they give in.

Send Text messgae to

or

Send SMS to

Put my phone in intelitype mode, let me type message then say send.

See my posts on magician 1 handed SMS to understand need for this.

I am guessing speech to text conversion of actual message to much.

Guest En_croute
And now its my turn to feel left out for only having the US version!! Tigernet will be able to dial numbers with his voice and I wont cause of the US version expecting US style numbers!!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you use the international prefix, "Plus four four", and then the numbers the US version works fine, as it isn't looking for US based number sequences.

I'm still glad I have the UK version !

Guest jharvey00

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone know if this support commands via a BT headset? I couldn't seem to find any info.

I don't really want to have to fumble around to press a button on the phone if i'm on the motorway if I can avoid it...:D

Guest Disco Stu

From Handango's product description :

"Bluetooth Headset Support: Voice Command does not support using a Bluetooth headset to initiate a voice command but you can use a Bluetooth headset during the phone conversation"

HTH

Does it only recognise certain numbers, or numbers in certain formats? I can say "Dial " and it gets it spot on, but if I say "Dial 150" it will never get it right - usually attempts 123 or 111

Guest Bingo
Does it only recognise certain numbers, or numbers in certain formats?  I can say "Dial " and it gets it spot on, but if I say "Dial 150" it will never get it right - usually attempts 123 or 111

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found the same thing ... I just created a contact called "phone minutes" so it has no problem now.

I've been using it for a few days now and although I love it and think it works very well, I feel it could have done more. It would be a cool to be able to send text message by doing some kind of speech to text thing. Also to be able to give commands in the open applications. For example.

Start messaging >

new message >

To Joe Bloggs >

message reads> [dictate message] >

send message

Or some such.

Also it's a shame it can't stay on and be activated with a key word.

I'd use a female name as my key word ... err ... Betty for example.

I'd could just say the name, it would respond by telling me it was active then I could issue commands.

Betty?

response - yes Tony.

what time is it?

response - Time you drove at a sensible speed Tony.

and so on ... I'm not so sure what my girlfriend may think of that idea though ...

I may well have watched one to many sci-fi films ...

:D

Guest RussellH

Really pleased this has been released, as I couldn't get the US version to understand everything I was saying.

I cannot though get the UK trial version to install onto my M2000. I've tried several times now, and every time I get the error message:

"Microsoft Voice Command UK PPC trial 1.50 was not installed successfully. Please run Setup again".

I've checked to make sure all traces of the US trial have been removed, and they have. I've checked that I have sufficient memory, which I have.

Does anybody know why this might not be working properly?

Thanks,

Russell

Guest Disco Stu
Can I say New SMs to contact

or New text message to contact.

????

i f I can I will buy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly not, but it's a minor limitation all things considered :D

Guest wideawake

So frustrating - I want to initiate calls through bluetooth.

I really think this would be a "killer" application, does anyone know if this is being worked on?

(Sorry if a little off-topic)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gavboy

If only you could activate Voice Command via a headset (even a wired one) this would be absolutley awesome.

It seems a shame to have voice activated control if you have to press a button on the device to operate it. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Or have I got it wrong?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.