Thinking about getting an MPX220

Guest riven

Guest riven

Hey guys and gals,

I've been doing a little bit of research and am thinking about getting the MPX220. Of course, most of what I find is a little outdated and people seem to be having issues with the phone (as I can read here).

But what I want to get is people's opinion of the phone. I've got a PocketPC running 2003 on T-Mobile and want to switch to a regular phone. I'm probably going to buy an unlocked one from Cingular and bring it on T-Mobile's network.

I'd like to get your opinions and feedback on the phone and crossing services...

Thanks for helping....

Guest JLang

Most problem reports are sadly not out of date. The 220 continues to have serious problems affecting its reliability as a phone, even with 1.30 firmware (the problems seem to be based in hardware quality control as much as software). I've had it shut off on being flipped closed and I've placed/recieved calls where I couldn't be heard.

Even with those problems I like my 220 and am glad I bought it, I just can't recommend it without reservation.

Edited by JLang

Guest MadSci

I had the most frustrating time with mine (Firmware v1.30) untill I realized the issues were coming from the mSD memory card I had installed. It was a SanDisk (see my post on this), and when I replaced it with a PQI card, everything began to work properly and reliably.

Other than not being able to use voice dial over a BT headset, the phone is GREAT!

=D>

Go for it!

MadSci

Guest SJ@MPx-220

This is really a great phone. I use it daily as an alarm, phone, modem via Bluetooth for my notebook as well as a news/ebook/rss/email reader every nite. I can pair the phone with my SE HBH-65 without any problems at all. The camera, although not great, is better than other smartphones that I've owned.

The phone is very fast and reliable. My problem is also solved when I replaced my crappy miniSD from SanDisk.

My only gripe is the short battery life.

The bottom line is this phone can do a lot more than I image it could do 8)

Of course it has small hickups that requires reset, but, this is a small sacrifice to pay for its excellent abilities.

Guest mgrosh
This is really a great phone.  I use it daily as an alarm, phone, modem via Bluetooth for my notebook as well as a news/ebook/rss/email reader every nite.  I can pair the phone with my SE HBH-65 without any problems at all.  The camera, although not great, is better than other smartphones that I've owned.

The phone is very fast and reliable.  My problem is also solved when I replaced my crappy miniSD from SanDisk.

My only gripe is the short battery life.

The bottom line is this phone can do a lot more than I image it could do  8)

Of course it has small hickups that requires reset, but, this is a small sacrifice to pay for its excellent abilities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My only two problems so far... is the usb cable does not work (was told to clean contacts.. so that might be fixed) and that the MPx220 does not support voice dialing... (one of the main features i wanted)

Guest mgrosh

However, i forgot all the things i like about it..

Not having to pay Cingular money so i can send and download my photos and videos is great.

sync with outlook is awsome... and i still like the bluetooth ear phone even if i cant use voice dialing.

Edited by mgrosh

Guest Goattee

All things considered, I am happy with mine. I wanted something that would allow me to permanently file my iPaq PDA. I no longer wanted to search for contacts or tasks-- especially when making phone calls.

As a PDA replacement it meets my goals. And it is a decent phone with reasonably good sensitivity as a phone.

But on the stability front, I would say that the operating system + phone are roughly equivalent to Windows 95. (Better than Windows 3.1 but still a bit shaky and not hardly offering the stability of Windows 2000 and XP.) What do I mean by this? If you start installing applications on the phone, don't be surprised if the phone freezes, requiring you to remove the battery and then reinsert it. Or you may have to periodically restart the phone because it refuses to sense adequate signal. (Like this morning when I woke up and the phone claimed there was no service. A power cycle refreshed the phone just lilke a cup of coffee refreshed me.)

I have the latest ROM-- so this is not a complaint from an early user.

Having said all of that, I would not give up my MPx220. It is the best phone I've had for the balance of functionality it provides-- I am a heavy Outlook user and this is my portable Outlook machine.

Oh-- I just got the Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard before the weekend. And that acquisition sealed the deal for me. It worked on the first try. And it's a nicely designed little peripheral. I'm planning to take nothing but the phone + keyboard with me on our 12-day Eastern European train tour. No laptop. And not even a PDA to bulk up my bags.

So just decide if the high functionality justifies the patience that this device sometimes requires from its owner. After all, it's just a little puppy. :D

Guest riven

Thanks for all the input guys (and gals)....

I've already ordered one and should be arriving tomorrow. Its an unlocked Cingular coming from a wholesaler that I will be putting on T-Mobile. I'm looking forward to it, even though I may have some issues. Of course, I'm used to it having owned a PocketPC for two years....

I didnt know about the no voice dialing, though. I'm hoping that because its Windows-based, that there will be programs such as M$ voice dial that will be released.

Any other programs out there that you would recommend?

Oh...and which BT headset are you guys using? I've seen two out there, but haven't looked too much into the differences in them....

Thanks again for all the input!

:Beer:

Guest Goattee
I didnt know about the no voice dialing, though.  I'm hoping that because its Windows-based, that there will be programs such as M$ voice dial that will be released. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The phone does have voice dialing-- just not available via a BT headset. The built-in voice dialing in the phone itself is remarkably good. I have also tried using that voice dialing feature while in a car cradle unit and while the phone was in speakerphone mode. So it can be done.

Guest riven
The phone does have voice dialing-- just not available via a BT headset. The built-in voice dialing in the phone itself is remarkably good. I have also tried using that voice dialing feature while in a car cradle unit and while the phone was in speakerphone mode. So it can be done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the clarification. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed that this will be a good purchase....

Guest riven

Finally got the phone in last night before going out and getting sloshed for St Patty's Day...

...not sure if this is good or bad news, but I didn't get the Cingular version. I received an untagged (not-Cingular / not-ATT marked) Eurpean version. I have heard that these are sometimes better, or not, than the US versions.

Eveything seems to be okay, but the volume is a little low for my liking. After searching through several forums for the past few days, I'm guessing it may be a ROM-related issue. I referenced this topic below and found that my ROM version is also a 1.15.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=rom+version

Now, I'm going to do some more research, but right now I can't tell if this is the latest for the EU build, or if I might be helped by updating to the Cingular 1.3 (or even the generic 1.7/1.9) when Moto finally re-establishes their updating tool.

If you guys can point me to some more topics that I may have missed, I'd appreciate the added info...

::cheers::

Guest roma0803

The 1.15 ROM you have *is* the latest ROM in the EU. I doubt it you can install the Cingular 1.3 ROM because it's not an upgrade, just a different network provider.

Rumour is Motorola is working on a final ROM to address the final problems some users experience, but it's a rumour...

I had to get used to a little lower volume than I was used to with my Nokia, but now I must say my MPx is stable and making me happy, it's an EU 1.15 ROM.

Guest riven

Thanks roma... I tried the update utility that freakstone posted in the forum I linked above and got the same results (already updated to latest version). I've been reading that *hopefully* Motorola will re-release their update tool in the first half of April. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they post updates for ALL versions of the MPx220 (ATT/Cingular/EU/etc).

Thanks for everyone's help....

::cheers::

Guest zombiekilla

For those having sound problems mess with the register some.

I think it's located in Local User/Control Panel/Sounds/In Call. Change the Value from 3 to 5-6 and you'll be happier. It's as loud/louder than my house phone now