Tip on setting up your o2 XDA II Mini

Guest MitchellO

Guest MitchellO

I just reloaded my XDA II Mini, and when it started up the first time, it installs all this o2 extra stuff, much of which i found useless.

It says that it will install the stuff in 3 secs. When it does, do a soft reset. This will cancel the install. If you go into the File Explorer, you will see a storage card call "Extended_ROM". Inside is the stuff installed normally at the beginning. I selected to install the PhonePad (a big keyed, T9 Predictive text input pad) and the operator settings for my provider (Optus Australia). I also installed Caller ID, but it really isn't necessary and can save you a bit extra RAM. They are named.

By installing these three things, I have saved about 15mb on my internal memory. I used to have 25-27mb in use, now i have only 10mb in use with all the stuff I used to have installed! It has made my device much faster and I haven't got a single low memory error since. I have found this a much better option, and may save some from needing the 128Mb RAM upgrade (but it still would be nice :D, just can't afford :D ).

Enjoy!!

Guest MitchellO

I didn't see the Extended_ROM folder until i performed the first few steps above. There is a file (an installable cab) called delete_vdisk_shortcut_WWE.sa.cab on my device which I assume removed the drive from view.

Guest mike-oh

So what did you choose not to install?

I'm tempted to do this to get rid of all the t-mobile crap on my phone. I don't enjoy all the pink and grey tat on the dialer.

Guest bolasz
I didn't see the Extended_ROM folder until i performed the first few steps above. There is a file (an installable cab) called delete_vdisk_shortcut_WWE.sa.cab on my device which I assume removed the drive from view.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've tried running the mentioned .cab as well,but the extended rom didn't disappear.

At the end I've copied all the cabs to pc,extracted them and using this information simply deleted the unwanted files and registry entries manually.

Guest MitchellO

I haven't tried the delete_vdisk cab because i don't want to lose access to the folder. It seemed to be the logical file to make the disk disappear.

mike-oh, it was a matter of what i chose to install. I simply installed the PhonePad, CallerID and Optus settings. Nothing else, and i have heaps more free space than before. and, apart from on the case, and unbranded device. B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Guest mike-oh

My Jam suddenly decided to do a hard reset on me last night, so before i started getting it back to normal i thought i'd give this ago.

Without installing anything i have an instant 15mb memory boost! i.e. only 0.94mb of storage memory is being used!!

I decided to get BT up and running so i could properly see the files in the extended rom directory. I've attached this list for those who are interested.

Right which ones to install, and which ones to not!

Mike

post-1982-1111748816_thumb.jpg

Guest mike-oh

oh and this config file (as seen in the screen shot above) may mean something to someone.

SHOW:\Extended_ROM\TMO_WallPaper.bmp

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Delete_vdisk_shortcut_WWE.sa.CAB

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPDisable.exe

CAB: \Extended_ROM\IntelliDialer_T-Mobile_WWE_RC10.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\IntelliPad_TMO_WWE_B12.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Caller_ID_T-Mobile_WWE_RC10.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Camera_Patch_WWE_B15.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Zip_Magician_T-Mobile_WWE_B12.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\EmailWiz_UK_v1.01.0003_1011.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\MMS_2.0.0.13_WWE.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\MMS_Setting_WWE_UK.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Java_10.1.2.57_WWE.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\TMO_CustomizeUI_WWE_B13.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Customize.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\GPRSMonitor_WWE.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\UA_Profile_TMO.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Backup_Restore.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Version_WWE_101128.sa.CAB

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPEnable.exe

RST: Reset

Guest GothTeddy

I've just given this a go :D

What I've installed, so far (refer to mike's screenshot):

Caller ID, Camera Patch, MMS, MMS Settings.

Tried to install IntelliDialer, but it wouldn't let me (something about a file in use) - which is probably a good thing, as I think that's actually the T-Mobile customised Dialer... Swithering whether or not to install the IntelliPad thingibyjigger, incase that's customised too...

Guest mike-oh

I think both the intellis are customised by t-mobile. I had to install the intellidialer as without it i didn't get the names list appearing as i put the number in.

I'm not sure about the intellipad, i think i pushed on that one by mistake.

Guest bolasz
My Jam suddenly decided to do a hard reset on me last night, so before i started getting it back to normal i thought i'd give this ago.

Without installing anything i have an instant 15mb memory boost! i.e. only 0.94mb of storage memory is being used!!

I decided to get BT up and running so i could properly see the files in the extended rom directory. I've attached this list for those who are interested.

Right which ones to install, and which ones to not!

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike-oh, what's that preinstalled GPRS Monitor?

Guest mike-oh

ummmm, exactly what it sounds like! It's just the standard GPRS monitor which comes on the t-mobile ROM.

It's in my programs menu as GPRS monitor. I think one of the other .cabs also needs installing to configure it but i can't remember which one. DOH!!! :oops:

I should've done this properly but unfortunately i didn't have much time as i needed my phone up and running again.

Mike

Guest Uisdean

I managed to get it to install the Intellidialer in a Tmobile MDA. Instead of soft resetting as soon as it restarts, wait for till it starts cunstomisation... the first thing it installs is the intellidialer. As soon as that's installed, while it's trying to install the next thing, THEN hit soft reset.

Voilla! you have intellidialer installed and none of the other crap.

Guest MitchellO

I found the dialer thing a bit annoying. I just have the few people that I always call in speeddial, and any time i use the numbers I WANT NUMBERS!! If they are in my contacts, I just go in and click Call whatever number from their contact.

But, if it works for you, Congrats!!

Guest mike-oh

Oh yeh, i could just do it that way and scrap the rather slow intelli dialer.

Would anyone be able to make an uninstaller given the content of these cab files? The only way i can see to uninstall the stuff is to do a hard reset!

Guest MitchellO

If you have been running your device for a while since your last hard reset, it can really refresh the device, along with letting you cancel the install of the extra junk that you don't want, and only the stuff that you do. I took the opportunity to do it when I received my replacement XDA Mini (first one was perfect except for a dead pixel) which is ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS!!!

And, much faster/more memory since performing the above.

Guest bolasz
ummmm, exactly what it sounds like! It's just the standard GPRS monitor which comes on the t-mobile ROM.

It's in my programs menu as GPRS monitor. I think one of the other .cabs also needs installing to configure it but i can't remember which one. DOH!!! :oops:

I should've done this properly but unfortunately i didn't have much time as i needed my phone up and running again.

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it any good?

If yes could you email it to me,please!

Guest fallwood

Anyone know which bits to install that contain the tmobile gprs settings etc. Installed the mms settings but cant figure out which one has the rest of the tmobile config in it.

Guest fallwood

Found the file that contains the tmobile settings its customize.sa.cab. What exactly does the intellidialer and intellipad do, cant see any difference without it appart from the nasty pink and grey theme is gone from phone keypad.

Guest bretto

Hey Guys

I just fell over this thread and thought I might be able to offer some info.

I had been developing on my xda II with the normal "official" ROM from Telstra(autstralia)/Imate which is wm2003 and needed to get my device running wm2003se because my software was killing pdas with second edition on them for some reason.

After some soul searching and a heap of bad press about my app I jumped in and had a shot at it.

Im so glad I did since I managed to reproduce the incompatability problem with my app and fix it. Not to mention wm2003se provided me with much better features than I previously had.

So anway........

The way I understand it is this.

The ROM contains your standard windows stuff and the extended rom contains your desired applications that enhance windows mobile.

There are a couple of programs out there that allow you to unhide and unlock (and visa versa) your extended rom thus allowing you to access it as you would your storage card etc.

When you have it unlocked you can nominate what applications you want to install on your device when you hard reset. This is incredibly useful.

By nominate I mean get rid of any cab files that you dont want and copy any other cabs you do want to be installed. And editing the config.txt file to only install your desired items. Bare in mind the extended rom can only be 16MB in total I think.

The config.txt file is used by the auto installer and contains the list of what will be installed.

There is a fantastic thread all about this over at xda-developers.com and what applications the author considers to be required which he denotes with a *.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=16916

Its all info about upgrading the xdaII but from what I can gather should relate to any wm2003se extended rom.

The tools for unlocking the extended rom can be obtained from there too.

Thought this might help out a bit to unlock the "mystery" of the extended rom.

Cheers

Bretto