SPV M2000

Guest vinceh

Guest vinceh

I first talked to Orange in December about ordering my phone, I went through a hell of a lot trying to persuade Orange to get their fingers out and sell me one.

I sometimes called twice a day, it was a nightmare but I thought the ‘phone’ would be worth it.

I finally took delivery last week.

Since my first charge – all 16 hours, I have found the following:

Six or seven unexplained soft resets.

Two batteries, good! but one charge only lasts for a day and a half then it dies without much warning.

Soft reset every time you change the battery.

The ring volume is too quiet and the 3 second delay between rings is too long. – OK there is a regedit to fix this but it reverts back on ever soft reset.

I have only used the ‘slide-out’ keypad twice. I don’t know why its there.

The speaker!!!! I’ve had too many calls to count when they could hear me but I couldn't hear them..... and don’t give me that crap about Bluetooth, I’ve never turned it on.

I’ve had to reinstall Activesync twice because it stopped working with the phone however it worked perfectly with my Jornada 720 and IPAQ.

My last phone was a Treo 600, I now want it back.

As a phone the SPV M2000 is not even a good PDA.

I need a phone that is reliable!

THIS PHONE IS SHITE!!!!

Guest RussellH

Hi Vinceh,

Really sorry to hear you're having all this trouble. I reckon you need to get a replacement, as I don't think everyone's experiencing as many problems as you are.

I very occasionally need to soft reset the phone. In my case, it's linked to an in-call volume problem discussed in another thread. Using bretto's profile software has significantly reduced the regularity of this problem for me.

My M2000 warns me when the battery gets down to 25%, so I haven't had it cut out on me. I've taken to putting it on charge every night.

Ring volume seems pretty loud to me when set to max.

I admit that I rarely use the keyboard, maninly because I'm worried that using it too much will cause it to become loose. I've been using the on-screen keyboard. I'm sure the built in keyboard was included because of demand. I thought I'd need one until I actually started using the phone.

Not had any problems with calls where people can hear me but I can't hear them.

And never had a problem with Activesync.

Despite the odd minor niggle with this phone, I'm really delighted with it. Try getting a replacement, and see if this improves things for you.

Good luck!

Russell

Guest daron

Well after my initial period of use/misuse I have grown accustomed to the devices idiosyncrasies.

Unfortunately, it looks like you really have had the rough end of a bad batch.

I agree that the slider is a bit superfluous. But when I purchased the phone I thought I would really need it. In fact, the only reason I was attracted to the phone, was because of the slider keyboard.

The ringer volume on the phone is a bit low. But I have found, that the old ring tone is about the loudest you can get. So this is what I use.

Battery life, is adequate. But like RusselH said, I place my phone in the holder every night. However, when I have not made many phone calls I have observed that my battery lasts me at least 2/3 days without charge. Make sure your WiFi option and data options are off.

The only other niggles that I have about the phone, is that you can not lock the phone, from accidentally calling someone.

I can only suggest, trying getting it exchanged (when you are talking to Orange Customer Support major on the soft resets, as this is the only fault I can ascertain from your post) other than the exchange option give the phone a couple of weeks, and if all else fails start using it only as a PDA.

Best of luck

Daron

Guest chucky.egg

It does just sound like you bought the wrong phone, but you'll get a good price for it on eBay and you can then buy yourself something better...

Maybe an iMate JAM (if you really need a PDA), you'll get better battery life out of a smartphone though

Guest Chaser81

By the sound of it, its Windows Mobile PPC Edition which is narking you off.... For your next one, try the Treo 650. I had the T600 and it was a good little phone, plus the PDA functions are a lot better than other so-called PDA/Phones like the P9XX series thanks to its running a PDA-based OS (Palm in this case)....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blackmanalishi

Hi all,

I have to disagree with vinceh's comments. I was a long-standing Treo and Palm fan (had the 270 and still have the 600), but I have been blown away by the M2000 in the short time I've had it.

I mainly moved away from the Treo because palmOne's service is absolutely shocking compared to Handspring (p1 refused to acknowledge any responsibility for warranty as soon as they took over Handspring and tried to pass the buck onto Orange), and Orange very kindly offered to upgrade me to the M2000 for a measly £75, which is probably less than I'll get for my Treo 600 with all the accessories when I eventually put it on eBay. ;)

I'm one of the few who definitely uses the thumboard (bit of a text message freak and the onscreen board is more fiddly...) and that was the main reason I chose it over devices such as the M1000.

I also wouldn't touch O2 with a bargepole having been a very dissatisfied Customer of theirs for some time, so the XDA range wasn't an option, although I believe they're very similar to the SPV.

Daron - I notice you mentioned difficulty with locking the phone so it didn't make random calls to people. Can I assume you mean a button lock? I had the same problem to start with, and for a moment thought it was a feature that had been stupidly overlooked, but in fact it is there, in Settings/System/Button Lock. This locks the phone so it can only be turned on by pressing the power button, and it's a real Godsend. :D

The only real difficulty I've found so far is sending e-mail from my M2000. I can receive e-mail on it from my NTL accounts but whenever I try to send I get a notification saying "invalid message recipients", which I know is not the case. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so any idea how to correct it? It may well be something I've not done properly but nothing obvious stands out, and I'm pretty sure my smtp settings etc are correct. Help! :?:

Cheers

Ads

blackmanalishi.com

"The Best Live Band I've Ever Seen"

"Stunning"

"Old School Power Rock"

Guest Rob.P
The only real difficulty I've found so far is sending e-mail from my M2000. I can receive e-mail on it from my NTL accounts but whenever I try to send I get a notification saying "invalid message recipients", which I know is not the case. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so any idea how to correct it? It may well be something I've not done properly but nothing obvious stands out, and I'm pretty sure my smtp settings etc are correct. Help!

Sometimes that error refers to the fact that you have to have SSL switched on for the SMTP server. I had the same problem sending emails through my orange account on my NTL connection, switching on the Secure connection setting sorted it all out.

Guest blackmanalishi

Thanks Rob, turns out I made a school boy error and setup the smtp as smtp.ntlworld.com when of course it needed to be smtp.orange.net. That soon fixed it!

Cheers

Ads

PS Has anyone found a fix for the problem of not being able to hear the person on the other end of incoming calls every now and again? Saw it in another thread and looks like there's quite a few of us with the problem. I'm convinced it's not Bluetooth related though as it happened to me long before I started using B/T...

Sometimes that error refers to the fact that you have to have SSL switched on for the SMTP server.  I had the same problem sending emails through my orange account on my NTL connection, switching on the Secure connection setting sorted it all out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest fraser
I really can't believe what I'm reading! You are defending the phone then listing it’s problems! Get a grip!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I know there is an election on and people are trying awfully hard to make you think that all issues are polar, i.e. black and white. But reality isn't like that. You can like something yet believe there is room for improvment. Nothing is perfect.

The fact is that you can do things on these phones that you cannot do on others. It's called Bleeding Edge for a reason. Any early adopter knows that there are teething problems for anything. Yet we pay through the nose for all the latest gadgets just because we like them. If you want a nice safe quiet life, do what NASA does and don't use anything made in the last 10 years. Things will be all nice and reliable for you then.

Guest boyo69

well, i have been away a while whilst playing with a Treo 650...........

i am now back with the trusty XDAIIs because:-

the Treo 650 resets for fun and for no real reason (plenty of agreeing users but nothing to solve it really)

Bluetooth is absolutely appalling....... sometimes will connect, sometimes won't, if i could get a degree of consistency or some kind of pattern to follow to make work then i would be at least half pleased

the XDAIIs/M2000/PDA2k etc etc is not perfect, but having tried a P900, P910i, Treo 650 and all the other smartphones (SPV, SPV e100, SPV C500) i think it delivers......... sure there are bugs, but i feel more confident in there being solutions in rom upgrades for WM than for SE/PalmOne...........

i think it may be a good idea to take stock of WHY you wanted a PDA Phone - do you want a PDA than can also make calls (M2000) or do you prefer a phone that also can PDA (Smartphone)...... with a colour screen and fast(ish) processor, you are always going to struggle to get 4 years of battery life aka Nokia 6310i !!!!

hope you get a good price, but remember, it isn't necessarily a bad product just because it doesn't tick all your boxes, it's just not the right fit for your needs

Guest vinceh

It looks like you guys haven’t read the posting at all well, if at all. Let me list the M2000 problems. I’m on my second replacement now and they are all the same:

1. Hard factory resets for no reason about once a week.

2. Soft resets for no reason about every 2 days.

3. Caller ID only works very occasionally.

4. About 40% of the time in a call the speaker does not work (they can hear you but you can’t hear them).

5. The ring repeats every 3 seconds, much too long – OK so you can correct that with a regedit but it resets to default on every soft reset.

6. The vibrate is much too soft.

7. You have to go to ‘contacts’ to find a number to make a call, possibly the worst written interface on the planet.

8. Every time you turn it on you have to type in a password (a fix) or it will call New York in your pocket if you don’t have the password set to 0 minutes prompt.

9. It will call New York or connect to the internet in your pocket even if you have done the above after an alarm goes off.

10. The battery only lasts for a day and a half.

11. ‘Page not found’ 90% of the time if you type in a web address and use the green arrow next to the address bar (not the case if you use ‘return’)

12. 20% of the time can’t answer a call when you press the green-phone-button. Says ‘unable to answer call’.

13. WiFi GUI is the worst I’ve ever seen.

14. I’ve never been able to get it see my GPS bluetooth device (and God knows I’ve tried). My 4 year old Ipaq sees it instantly.

15. I’ve had to reinstall ActiveSync, twice since I got the M2000.

16. It is SLOW!

There are many, many problems, just read all the posts on this forum.

I had a Treo 600, apart from the buzz when the battery dropped below 30%, I now realise that it is a great piece of kit.

xxxxxx

Guest boyo69

i have completely understood your post.... it states that it is the worst phone you have ever had.....

i am really sorry to hear that you have experienced such difficulties, but this is a massive selling device from all guises and carriers and thousands thoroughly love their devices

i am not sure what you are trying to achieve from your post.... if you would like help on the issues then i am sure this forum will gladly help with the one's that can be cured (alarms causing dial out,using intellidialler for dialling instead of contacts etc)..... as for the battery life did you compare the specification to your needs? pda use 15hrs, talk time 4hrs etc etc...

this forum and others are primarily used for discussing issues that can be solved....it sounds like you may be past caring so i think that chaser81's advice is possibly the best we can all offer you..... good luck with the sale!

Guest blackmanalishi

vinceh,

I have to agree with boyo, there's really nothing constructive in your argument and you're not asking for input, so what response are you hoping to get from people on this forum?

Of the 16 points you just listed, I've only experienced 2 or 3, and would disagree entirely with some of them (e.g. number 6 - the vibration is FAR better than the Treo range, which was one of the things people complained about when the Treo was first reviewed well over a year ago).

The only reason I switched from Treo (which I was head over heels in love with ever since owning the Treo 270 a couple of years ago) was because every single one I've owned broke within 6 months due to one reason or another, and certainly not due to neglect. The Treo 600 doesn't even HAVE BlueTooth, so however bad you believe B/T is on the M2000 it's better than not having it at all!

Of the two problems I mentioned earlier, one was fixed within 2 minutes and turned out to be my own fault, and the other is a minor issue which hopefully we'll get a patch for soon. As has been said, bleeding edge technology is bound to have teething troubles, and that's the price we pay for demanding such technology before it's been given lengthy market testing. The same goes for any industry where products are launched early to cope with consumer demand - even the car industry, which is nowhere near as frenetic in terms of evolutionary pace as the mobile/PDA industry.

No product of this nature I've ever owned has been perfect, but the M2000 has been fantastic in my opinion considering the extent of convergent technology within it - and the price (I paid just £75 for mine from Orange) - and I believe you really have just been unlucky in getting a faulty handset because it certainly wasn't designed to perform hard (or soft) resets at random intervals - my Treo 600 recently did exactly that as well as not being able to hear callers, but I didn't blame the product, I blamed my particular handset. I only chose to leave the Treo brand because of the shocking service I received from palmOne, not because I lost faith in the Treo product line.

If you need advice, help, support etc then this forum is perfect, but just listing your complaints and then ridiculing others for not having the same complaints is a little pointless in my opinion...

I'll be selling my Treo on eBay in the next week (finally got palmOne to exchange it for a new one after months of them denying responsibility), so if you're so convinced you want to move back to it, maybe you should put in a bid for mine...?

Regards,

Ads

i have completely understood your post.... it states that it is the worst phone you have ever had.....

i am really sorry to hear that you have experienced such difficulties, but this is a massive selling device from all guises and carriers and thousands thoroughly love their devices

i am not sure what you are trying to achieve from your post.... if you would like help on the issues then i am sure this forum will gladly help with the one's that can be cured (alarms causing dial out,using intellidialler for dialling instead of contacts etc)..... as for the battery life did you compare the specification to your needs? pda use 15hrs, talk time 4hrs etc etc...

this forum and others are primarily used for discussing issues that can be solved....it sounds like you may be past caring so i think that chaser81's advice is possibly the best we can all offer you..... good luck with the sale!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by blackmanalishi

Guest boyo69

i am going to try and help a little here !!

just check that you have slid the battery catch all the way back.....also, just make sure your backup battery is fully charged else you will lose info when battery is removed.......

have you added software??? uninstall one at a time and see if that helps....list what you have installed and perhaps we can shed some light on the rogue culprits

do you mean that sometimes it doesn't show the name and/or number ?? it's a well known bug of the software, not the Hardware

4. About 40% of the time in a call the speaker does not work (they can hear you but you can’t hear them).

how are you holding the phone?? unsurprisingly, if you hold in your right hand, and your fingers fold underneath, you may well notice that your fingers are actually covering the microphone!!! silly place to put it !

5. The ring repeats every 3 seconds, much too long – OK so you can correct that with a regedit but it resets to default on every soft reset.

not sure i know what you mean, i use a .wav file and it rings just fine - is it the file you are using

6. The vibrate is much too soft.#

hurts my leg !

7. You have to go to ‘contacts’ to find a number to make a call, possibly the worst written interface on the planet.

go to www.xda-developers.com and search for intellidialer or intellipad - this is an excellent program that integrates with the phone application and brings up a filtered list of contacts based on the numbers you begin to tap in... i NEVER use contacts to dial, its way too slow!

8. Every time you turn it on you have to type in a password (a fix) or it will call New York in your pocket if you don’t have the password set to 0 minutes prompt.

i put mine in a case and disable buttons except on/off....... never had an accidental dial up (plus i suggest you delete New York numbers, very expensive !)

9. It will call New York or connect to the internet in your pocket even if you have done the above after an alarm goes off.

i think something like Mortsaver will help with this....or try screen turn off programs in google

that's pretty good for a device like this, plus, i generally try to get home at night therefore plugging in at the end of the day becomes a bit of a routine now !! i have also invested in a car charger as i do use it intensively as a phone

11. ‘Page not found’ 90% of the time if you type in a web address and use the green arrow next to the address bar (not the case if you use ‘return’)

not seen that, when i have, it's because i typed the address wrong !

12. 20% of the time can’t answer a call when you press the green-phone-button. Says ‘unable to answer call’.

i think i read somewhere that callerid conflicted sometimes, but i may be wrong

does it really matter too much??!!!! give it an ip, and then leave it !!! Fence paint isn't pretty but it does a job !

14. I’ve never been able to get it see my GPS bluetooth device (and God knows I’ve tried). My 4 year old Ipaq sees it instantly.

sorry, can't help on that one......what's the make of GPS and have you tried their website?

i would look at Firewall or AV software...... if you don't unblock for use at the first popup it blocks it forever !

16. It is SLOW!

at what and compared to what?...... and by the way, if you are using a processor speed up program (I was!) then this may be your fault with hard resets/soft resets

I had a Treo 600, apart from the buzz when the battery dropped below 30%, I now realise that it is a great piece of kit. .................... that's because it is more of a phone with PDA capabilities than a PDA with phone capabilities...... see, it starts to fit now doesn't it !!!!!!!!

xxxxxx......... sorry, can't respond to that one !!

tell you what, i am thinking of selling my 2 week old Bluetooth Treo 650......make me an offer !!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest RiceBurner
It looks like you guys haven’t read the posting at all well, if at all. Let me list the M2000 problems. I’m on my second replacement now and they are all the same:

6. The vibrate is much too soft.

16. It is SLOW!

I had a Treo 600, apart from the buzz when the battery dropped below 30%, I now realise that it is a great piece of kit.

xxxxxx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stop whinging and get it replaced.

Each and every one of those issues can be addressed either by replaceing the phone (in the case of the hard-reset isues) or by appying the right piece of software.

My phone has NEVER turned off!! (well -except when I've removed the battery), and certainly never soft-reset itself.

for the "calling New York" issues - try DeltaLock 0.03.

Guest MitchellO
i am going to try and help a little here !!

just check that you have slid the battery catch all the way back.....also, just make sure your backup battery is fully charged else you will lose info when battery is removed.......

have you added software??? uninstall one at a time and see if that helps....list what you have installed and perhaps we can shed some light on the rogue culprits

do you mean that sometimes it doesn't show the name and/or number ?? it's a well known bug of the software, not the Hardware

how are you holding the phone?? unsurprisingly, if you hold in your right hand, and your fingers fold underneath, you may well notice that your fingers are actually covering the microphone!!! silly place to put it !

not sure i know what you mean, i use a .wav file and it rings just fine - is it the file you are using

6. The vibrate is much too soft.#

hurts my leg !

go to www.xda-developers.com and search for intellidialer or intellipad - this is an excellent program that integrates with the phone application and brings up a filtered list of contacts based on the numbers you begin to tap in... i NEVER use contacts to dial, its way too slow!

i put mine in a case and disable buttons except on/off....... never had an accidental dial up (plus i suggest you delete New York numbers, very expensive !)

i think something like Mortsaver will help with this....or try screen turn off programs in google

that's pretty good for a device like this, plus, i generally try to get home at night therefore plugging in at the end of the day becomes a bit of a routine now !! i have also invested in a car charger as i do use it intensively as a phone

not seen that, when i have, it's because i typed the address wrong !

i think i read somewhere that callerid conflicted sometimes, but i may be wrong

does it really matter too much??!!!! give it an ip, and then leave it !!! Fence paint isn't pretty but it does a job !

sorry, can't help on that one......what's the make of GPS and have you tried their website?

i would look at Firewall or AV software...... if you don't unblock for use at the first popup it blocks it forever !

16. It is SLOW!

at what and compared to what?...... and by the way, if you are using a processor speed up program (I was!) then this may be your fault with hard resets/soft resets

I had a Treo 600, apart from the buzz when the battery dropped below 30%, I now realise that it is a great piece of kit. .................... that's because it is more of a phone with PDA capabilities than a PDA with phone capabilities...... see, it starts to fit now doesn't it !!!!!!!!

xxxxxx......... sorry, can't respond to that one !!

tell you what, i am thinking of selling my 2 week old Bluetooth Treo 650......make me an offer !!!

What a post!!! But I think this guy is now determined to hate the device.

Edited by MitchellO

Guest vinceh

OK so I’ve been in this business for a very long time….I got my first mobile phone in 1990 (so it was a brick). I’ve upgraded every year since then, I’ve been through Nokia and Sony. I’ve tried Motorola and Samsung. I’ve have PDA’s when they were called ‘organisers’ from the Psion 2 to the 3c and 5. I’ve got the Newton, the Jornada (680 and 720). I’ve got a Palm and a Treo 600.

I get deeply offended when some moron writes thing like “how are you holding the phone?? unsurprisingly, if you hold in your right hand, and your fingers fold underneath, you may well notice that your fingers are actually covering the microphone!!! silly place to put it !”.

Boyo69 – you are a badword halfwit!!!!!

Guest vinceh

Answers on a postcard please for what "badword" is. It begins with 'F'.

This B/B is full of people writing about serious problems with this piece of kit, its not good. Today I had 3 calls that I was not able to answer and I got a bubble saying ‘Unable to answer this call’…..

Maybe the halfwits could try to answer........... ;)

Guest justsomeone

hmm... well gee, thanks guys. i had my heart set on buying a spv m2000. now i feel as though i'd be buying a worthless piece of plastic ! maybe his problems were just due to it being an early model ? it is a good device isn't it... better than my spv e200 right ?

..and please don't trounce my comment like other's were. i'm new... i'm sweet... i'm innocent... i'm done ! ;)

Guest RussellH

Hi justsomeone,

I'm delighted with my M2000. It doesn't have anywhere near as many bugs as the E200. So long as you don't mind it being a little on the large side then it's a great device. There's a thread on here about the in-call volume cutting out on calls occasionally. This is a pain, but only happens occasionally. On the whole though, I'd recommend the M2000 as the best phone I've ever had.

Russell

Guest fraser

I'm delighted with mine as well. I'm always into new gadgets, they could do a tomorrow's world episode on my home, got networked audio, multiroom video on demand and all that jazz.

As someone who likes gadgets, I gotta say, this is by far one of the coolest devices I've owned. I can control my home from anywhere in the planet with it!