MDA compact or Nokia 6630?

Guest p1tse

Guest p1tse

i'm about to get a new contract, so narrowed choice to MDA compact or Nokia 6630.

without being biased, why should i pick the MDA compact?

if i go for the MDA compact, going on T-mobile Everyone Off-peak 500 £22/month phone £40

if i go for Nokia 6630, going on Three talk and text 600 £30/month (but 10 months half price e.g. £15 - with 500 inclusive anytime and network calls and 100 texts) phone free

so the Nokia 6630 is looking into favour on cost and package of tariff, so need people to persuade me about the MDA Compact.

i like both phones, but the MDA seems sleeker, but unsure on user friendly compared to conventional phone.

so the pro's of MDA compact are.....?

thanks

Edited by p1tse

Guest En_croute

Prior to my MDA I was a Nokia person through & through.

I had a 6600, and also looked at current Nokia models.

For me the killer was that the Symbian OS in the Nokias cannot cope with big applications that run on the phone memory. I have over 1100 contacts, and a busy diary. The Nokia just couldn't cope, and you cannot run contacts or Calendar from the memory card.

The MDA has a windows interface, WiFi availability (SDIO card), Network via USB/Cradle, Excel & Word, WMP (for movies and MP3/WMAs) (or Free Beta Player for DivX), loads of free and cheap software. MS Voice command is excellent (in a quiet-ish location). The MSN Messenger is fun especially over WiFi. I’ve even used the built-in Terminal Serves Client – wow !

The MDA is quite stable, but when a re-boot is required (soft reset) with 1100 contacts it's 4-5 minutes before being back online! (Contacts backed to SD Card, and auto load into RAM).

The dialling thing (touch screen) takes a bit of getting used to, and the fact that the unit is never "off". The PDA screen is off, and the phone network can be disabled (Flight Mode) and these are independent of each other.

The need to keep the battery charged - if the reserve dies you are back to square one - was a shock, but as my reserve has never been used and charging by USB takes only a couple of hours it’s not all that bad. At the end of the day the unit is backed up – so it’s not too bad.

Active Sync is SO much better than Nokia PC Suite, and so is the Camera (although it’s not brilliant, and I’ve not tried the 6630 version.

Multiple accounts (2 x POP3, one work and text messaging) is all handled easily.

All in all it’s a fun phone, and with a new GPS box and TomTom3 on the way, about to get even better.

I’d risk it, and have fun customising it – it’s amazing what you can make it do.

It really depends what you want the device for too,

Personally - I wanted to replace my Sony Ericsson P910i and iPaq 2210 which I use as an organiser, mp3 player, GPS oh and a phone :D

So the iMate Jam was an ideal solution - means I can carry one smaller device than two comparitively large ones.

There are drawbacks, I send usually between 1000 and 1500 texts per calendar month. An using touch screen is going to be a serious challenge to adopt to!

So thats my story, I needed a PDA with phone functionality.

The other side of the coin is someone who needs a phone that has some PDA functionality built in (for example the C500) in your case, the Nokia 6630.

These handsets are great for their camera use, and excellent for high speed Internet access but considering their operating system - for me it is a somewhat limited device.

Just ask yourself, what you need from the device and you will be able to judge for yourself the best solution...

Feel free to ask any more specific questions you may have about either phone.

Guest belfast-biker
There are drawbacks, I send usually between 1000 and 1500 texts per calendar month. An using touch screen is going to be a serious challenge to adopt to!

Get a fitaly keyboard.

50 texts a day on JAM with a FITALY keyboard is much easier than the same amount of texts on a phone.

Guest belfast-biker
1. The MDA is quite stable, but when a re-boot is required (soft reset) with 1100 contacts it's 4-5 minutes before being back online! (Contacts backed to SD Card, and auto load into RAM).

2. the unit is never "off".  The PDA screen is off, and the phone network can be disabled (Flight Mode) and these are independent of each other.

3. The need to keep the battery charged - if the reserve dies you are back to square one - was a shock, but as my reserve has never been used and charging by USB takes only a couple of hours it’s not all that bad.  At the end of the day the unit is backed up – so it’s not too bad.

1. That's a long time - what SD brand are you using? There is quite a variety of speeds, and many companies lie about read and write speed. Fastest most reliable brand seems to be Lexar.

2. The unit is "off" if you turn on flight mode (making it a normal ppc without a phone) and switch the device off.

3. You need to keep the battery charged on all devices - leave any ppc around for too long and the backup battery will die. Backup often anyhow (good practice) andperhaps get one of those excellent 4xAA battery chargers if you're going to be anywhere without electricity - they're cheap too! Or get a little extendible usb cable, stick it in your pocket always, power from any PC.

Guest MitchellO

I was also a Nokia user, and had a Series 60 smartphone for about 1 yr, but it just doesn't compare to the HTC Magician.

The Magician (in your case the MDA Compact) has so many more features. It has

- a much higher res screen

- more memory

- SD card support (not just MMC)

- SDIO support (Wifi, GPS, other peripherals)

- Touchscreen with onscren keybord (much better for input/SMS)

- USB charging (charge from your laptop when away)

- Metal case (much nicer to hold)

- Better software available

- Better audio/video features

I love my Mini, and it is sooo much better than Series 60 Nokias. Before I got this, I wanted to get a 6260, but now it is of no interest. They just don't compare for me. The Mini was the clear winner!!!

Guest p1tse

thanks to all above

still pondering.

as for the battery, what;s the life like? i'm quite forgetful at times and so what happens if the battery is run dry, does the unit need reseting or something?

does it charge when plugged into usb port then? is there a car charger included?

now what do i need the phone for, is the question?

currently i'm just using a normal phone for calls and text with the odd calender thing.

the magician attracts me cos it's just a unique device and guess i would use it for diary purpose and possible sat nav (but would need to find cheap place for tomtom software and bluetooth). but the new nokia 6630 offers that too and guess it's more practical and robust

a few games would be nice, as for music i've got a mpeg4 player already. so any decent driving or sports games on this for the odd times where i need to kill the time?

i guess it comes with a stylus? does it have word recognition?

you lot mention about the touchscreen for text input, is it easy to get this application up e.g. without having to go through a long menu and without stylus?

thanks again

also the magician have a site like the nokia info, to compare:

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,58711,00.html

Edited by p1tse

Guest MitchellO

If you let it run completely dead, the backup battery will hold the memory but not for very long. If you flatten the battery but there is just enough left to keep the memory you won't need to reset.

Yes its charges via USB. I do that a lot of the time and it works great.

The Magician has a higher res screen so even if the 6630 could use GPS it wouldn't be as good.

Not sure about the games. I use my PSP and ridge racer for games.

It comes with two stylus, one in the unit and a spare, and yes it has word recognition (called Transcriber).

The onscreen keyboard is an icon that is at the bottom of the screen that is available whenever text input is necessary (often even when it isn't as well). There are several options, my favourite being PhonePad. It displays big buttons so you can use one handed, and is based on T9 predictive text. You click the numbers and the PDA works out gradually which one you want. Just like on the Nokia. It learns word too!!

Guest p1tse

true, true

so where's the best place (lowest price) to get 1GB SD, car charger, protective screen cover, car holder, bluetooth GPS and tomtom 3 to add to the Magician?

(how much would this lot set me back?)

what is standby time and talktime?

"If you let it run completely dead, the backup battery will hold the memory but not for very long."

what do you mean by back-up battery, some internal battery or something?

what is the key pad/ screen lock like? easy and fucntion well?

Edited by p1tse

Guest MitchellO

Here are some pics of the keyboard, phonepad and dialer for the Magician. They all work well.

xdaminiinput1small4az.th.jpg xdaminiinput2small7pv.th.jpg xdaminiinputsmall2od.th.jpg

All unedited without flash. They show how truely perfect the Magicians screen really is.

Not sure of exact standy/talk times but I get heaps of use out of a day. The Magician has a builtin rechargable backup battery.

Guest kurtfhouse

The back up battery is an internal battery which will remain at 100% until your main battery dies, it will then kick in and I believe it will last for approximately 2 hours (accordng to the manual) however someone on this forum found it actually lasted more like 12 hours!

Even if it does go flat its just a hard reset and if you've used the built in utility to back things up you should be 'match fit' again in no time.

I know someone with a 6630 at work and compared to my JAM its a peice of junk to be honest, the screen is very poor and it feels cheap and nasty, GET THE MDA

Guest p1tse

the comments are all true, as i went to a phone shop to have a look at a working 6630 demo. it was ok i guess. the main selling factor i guess was the 12 month half price tariff with 500 x-network anytime mins and 100 texts at only £15!

but i think the Magician it is, going on T-mobile therefore aka MDA compact. but the stock level doesn't seem good at the mo and would probably choose everyone off peak 500 for £22/month but with no text, internet, wap, etc. coudl be costly... but i think the Magician it is

thanks to all, the search is now on

Guest MitchellO

Good luck. You won't be disappointed with the phone. Try and get something that has data, as msn/email on the go is super!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jfran
the comments are all true, as i went to a phone shop to have a look at a working 6630 demo. it was ok i guess. the main selling factor i guess was the 12 month half price tariff with 500 x-network anytime mins and 100 texts at only £15!

but i think the Magician it is, going on T-mobile therefore aka MDA compact. but the stock level doesn't seem good at the mo and would probably choose everyone off peak 500 for £22/month but with no text, internet, wap, etc. coudl be costly... but i think the Magician it is

thanks to all, the search is now on

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so did you get it in the end?

rgds

Jim

Guest En_croute

Yes, do let us know.

I have a collegue looking at the same dillemma.

He already has an iPaq, so he's looking for a Bluetooth connecting device, but is still tempted by the MDA.

Guest MitchellO

What iPAQ does he have? Depending on the model (and its age) he might not want to give it up. If I had a hx4700, I wouldn't give it up, I'd just get a cheap BT phne (like I did with my h4350 and a SE T610). VGA is just soooo nice!! I would get a HTC Blue Angel if it had VGA.

Guest amuneer

Just received my imate jam on T-Mobile from Easysold.co.uk. It is currently free on £23/month tarrif which is £60 cheaper than scancom. It is a great phone, go get one if you have been thinking of buying one.

Guest jfran
Just received my imate jam on T-Mobile from Easysold.co.uk. It is currently free on £23/month tarrif which is £60 cheaper than scancom. It is a great phone, go get one if you have been thinking of buying one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

noticed the price is now 32 monthly however still free.... the demand is probably getting to them ;)

rgds

Jim

Guest amuneer
noticed the price is now 32 monthly however still free.... the demand is probably getting to them ;)

rgds

Jim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just click on the phone to go to the MDA compact page. Still free on £23/month with a 12 months contract at www.easysold.co.uk.

regards,

amuneer