hpsetup

Guest vinceh

Guest vinceh

I recently downloaded WiFiFoFum (the hotspot sniffer) more out of interest than anything else.

I can be seen most nights walking down the street looking at my phone to see how many networks there are in my neighbourhood – go on, admit it, we’ve all done it.

At home I can see my network (obviously), the guy’s next door and a Wanadoo hotspot from over the road I think.

I also get a very strong AdHoc SSID called ‘hpsetup’ with 100% signal strength. What is more, WiFiFoFum finds a new ‘hpsetup’ about every 10 seconds (new because it has a different Mac address).

After a Google or 2 I discovered that this phenomenon appears to be happening all over the world. Theories range from HP wireless printers trying to connect with unknown networks to Hewlett Packard’s bit for world domination.

Any ideas? Could it be the M2000 reading its own WiFi signal?

Guest inspectorgadjet

Well I know that my hp printer with wireless was set to this SSID when I first started it up, but I have changed that since then.

It seems weird that it would be finding it with a different MAC address though. Perhaps there are a lot of HP wireless printers out there that have not been connected to a network and they're just calling out for some config. :D

Guest vinceh

It could indeed be coming from wireless printers all over the town but the signal strength is 0db (very very strong) compared to my Netgear router kicking out about -67db.

I can also get the same SSID from my laptop when I do an AdHoc site survey and I found one of the IT guys in my company wandering around the car park the other day trying to track down the same signal.

Guest fraser

Nice find, first WiFi snooper I've gotten to work. Do you really need to remove all the prefered networks as the download page recommends? I've got WEP encryption set up, so getting it all working again would be a chore.

Guest sprouts42
in the car park? what was he looking for? a 4 wheel drive printer??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you have just discovered the next useless feature HP are going to put on their printers

Guest vinceh

I managed to find hpsetup today, I was on a train traveling at about 60 mph (bloody Chiltern railways), through a field (I better say that the train way on rails before Moosery gets witty again), miles from the nearest town.

It has to be a phantom! I think its the phone reading its own signal.

Guest fraser

I'm seeing the exact same thing, excepts it's "Flatnet1" for me. 0db every time, found every 10 secs with a different MAC address. Google showed nothing for a search on the SSID.

Guest rickyburke

although generally the closer to 0 the better signal, actually 0 is no signal at all, also some trains now have wifi on board. One Railway is one such train firm.

Guest vinceh
...... also some trains now have wifi on board. One Railway is one such train firm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can guarantee that Chiltern Railways (bless their cotton socks, they're not that bad really), don't have Wireless Networks in board.

Guest rickyburke

maybe a train u passed? i get that a lot on gner, they have no wifi on board, but when passing another train sometimes get a signal from a hotspot, also ive had the repeating hotspot thing, but if you close wififofum and restart it, it doesnt do it again, maybe a bug in the program?

Guest vinceh

At first I thought it was a WiFiFoFum problem but I have found it on my laptop and there is the IT guy in the carpark with his laptop looking for the source. The interesting thing about the signal on my laptop is that the strength isn't 0db but about -60, so it looks like a real hotspot.

By the way, the "passing train" theory is REALLY clutching at straws.

Guest WWWeed

Its a pc to pc connection. They are all over the world. I belive they have something to do with wireless printing. do a goggle search for more info (these things seem all over the place)

Edited by WWWeed

Guest vinceh
Its a pc to pc connection. They are all over the world. I belive they have something to do with wireless printing. do a goggle search for more info (these things seem all over the place)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Been through all that already (see the top of this posting). If it is coming from HP printers, then there are a hell of a lot of them in my town. It has occured to me that it may be coming from the hundreds of Pay-and-Display ticket machines we seem to have.

Guest rickyburke

if it comes from pay and display machines that would be hilarious, then again they do have printer inside, but why would they need wi-fi?

if they do think ill try and hack into one for a laugh, hahaha.

Guest vinceh
if it comes from pay and display machines that would be hilarious, then again they do have printer inside, but why would they need wi-fi?

if they do think ill try and hack into one for a laugh, hahaha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just one Google search using "pay and display wifi" found this:

Cale Parking Systems USA, Inc.

and this:

Rogers Wireless

and this:

Duncan Parking Technologies

...and a lot more.

Let me know when you get back from your "hacking" .....

Guest powertoolmonger

I travel quite often with my HP hx4705 running wififofum... I''ve noticed the hpsetup ap's appearing on highways all over the northeast. (New England for you Brits)... I found yesterday, as I was a passenger that they are more or less evenly spaced, and are definately related to the highway. The particular areas I was travelling through are low to no population around the highway and are similar in strength levels.

I've heard for sometime that there are a series of coils which underlay the highway, but I had no idea they were some sort of active device.

Seems Big Brother may be bigger than we thought. I've watched the sides of the highway for some sort of data box or antenna and haven't found anything as yet. It may require a little more attention, perhaps when I'm riding the motorcycle, I can take a look a little easier.

It is curious...

Guest raiderz
I travel quite often with my HP hx4705 running wififofum... I''ve noticed the hpsetup ap's appearing on highways all over the northeast.

Where abouts?? Which roads... are they Motorways, Trunk Roads or normal County Roads... I think I have an idea about them, can find out if I know if they Highway Agency or County Council related as I know people that work for both in the NE.

Edited by raiderz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest powertoolmonger
Where abouts?? Which roads... are they Motorways, Trunk Roads or normal County Roads... I think I have an idea about them, can find out if I know if they Highway Agency or County Council related as I know people that work for both in the NE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They seem to be the 'motorways' for the most part. I have on occasion found them on certain 'trunk roads' as well. At first I had thought they were related to businesses on the major roads, but then once I found them in locations where there is no population to speak of anywhere near the motorways, it's given me food for thought.

Guest raiderz
They seem to be the 'motorways' for the most part. I have on occasion found them on certain 'trunk roads' as well. At first I had thought they were related to businesses on the major roads, but then once I found them in locations where there is no population to speak of anywhere near the motorways, it's given me food for thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK i'll have a word with my mate who works for the HA and see what he says about it.

• 1 year later...
Guest hadimhd

hi,

i have a laptop and i get a hpsetup signal. But there is no parkings etc.,. My house is not surrounded with city. I also get a speedstream(ADSL wireless modem) signal. when the signal of hpsetup increases the signal of speedstream also increases. both the speed stream and hpsetup is noy password protected. and i can acess it. but when i connect's to speedstream it remains at "waiting for the network to get ready.

• 1 month later...
Guest jburkholder

Good Afternoon,

I realize that this thread is dead, but it has been one of the only half decent sources of information I have found about this hpsetup problem. Most of the reply's I noticed seem to dicuss a solid connection to this hpsetup. This is not the case for me at all. One of these hpsetups appears and has a strong signal for about 2 seconds then never has connection again. a few min later another one appears and has a strong connection for a few seconds the disapears. Each time it is hpsetup but has a diff mac address. There are about 60-65 that have appeared like this since 8:30 est thismorning (its now 1:45 pm est). Anyone tell me what might be causing this? im pretty sure its not my own signal because if it was then it should be the same mac address each time and we've identified everything else in our office building that might be causing it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Burkholder

Kandersteg, Inc.