networking mpx220 ?

Guest bkdarch

Guest bkdarch

Does anyone know how I would be able to view my home network (or even files on one pc that i am sync'd with) on my mpx220? I have established bluetooth internet passthrough and can transfer files back and forth but using the file manager cant see my network, only local files. I understand I am not connected via 802.11g which is what my network is using. Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks.

Guest Mills_Cho
Does anyone know how I would be able to view my home network (or even files on one pc that i am sync'd with) on my mpx220?  I have established bluetooth internet passthrough and can transfer files back and forth but using the file manager cant see my network, only local files.  I understand I am not connected via 802.11g which is what my network is using.  Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello,

Do you want to use your smartphone to Internet via your PC? If yes. You have to assign IP address to your smartphone via your blue tooth to conect your PC. However, you make sure that your blue tooth has this function because different blue tooth may not have this feature.

Otherwise, you just vai BT you can transfer the file from PC to your smartphone. Of course, depends on your BT feature.

:D

Guest digicool

I too have been thinking in those lines. This was possible with Symbian Series 60 phones. There was something called WAP gateway.

Since 220 can sync using bluetooth and there is an incoming serial port associated with it, I believe it can be used to create a WAP gateway. However, that will give bluetooth speed ~100kpbs. We will need code on both ends to acheive this. I've just started looking at WinCE development. I would eventually write this code, but dont have a clue when that will happen :D

Guest dchester
Does anyone know how I would be able to view my home network (or even files on one pc that i am sync'd with) on my mpx220?  I have established bluetooth internet passthrough and can transfer files back and forth but using the file manager cant see my network, only local files.  I understand I am not connected via 802.11g which is what my network is using.  Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I understand your question correctly, you want to use File Manager (on the phone) to connect to a network share on your PC. I do not think that is possible. If you really have Internet Pass through set up, you might be able to use IE on the phone to connect to your PC if it has a web server running on it, but that's about the only thing I can think of.

Guest digicool
If I understand your question correctly, you want to use File Manager (on the phone) to connect to a network share on your PC.  I do not think that is possible.  If you really have Internet Pass through set up, you might be able to use IE on the phone to connect to your PC if it has a web server running on it, but that's about the only thing I can think of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The idea is to not use GPRS. With something like WAP gateway working, you can stream music, videos, exchange files from from your desktop / home server.

Guest dchester
The idea is to not use GPRS. With something like WAP gateway working, you can stream music, videos, exchange files from from your desktop / home server.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You CAN use internet pass through instead of GPRS to get to the internet, but I thought he was asking about using File Manager to view stuff on his PC (which isn't going to happen whether he uses GPRS or internet pass through).

Internet Pass Through - What is it & how to I set it up?

Internet pass through is allowing the phone to use your PC's Internet connection.

How to setup Internet Pass through:

On the PC:

* In ActiveSync, click on Tools -> Options... -> Rules

* When you see the Pass Through section, set the connection to The Internet.

On the Phone:

* Connect the phone to the PC via ActiveSync.

* Go into Settings -> Data Connections

* Under Internet Connection, change the setting to Pass through connection (this pick is not available if the phone isn't connected to the PC).

* Save this setting and launch IE

* In IE, make the menu selections Options -> Connections

* Set On "Automatically detect settings" and under Select network, pick "The Internet"

You should be all set. The phone will now use Passthrough to get to the Internet when connected via Activesync, and will use Wireless Internet (GPRS) when not connected to the PC.

Edited by dchester

Guest digicool

Thanks again dchester! This opens a world of ideas to me for customization. I spent Jan and Feb in building a HTPC and customizing it. Now, the obsession starts again, this time with the phone. OMG!! :|

Are you dc hester or d chester :D ?

You CAN use internet pass through instead of GPRS to get to the internet, but I thought he was asking about using File Manager to view stuff on his PC (which isn't going to happen whether he uses GPRS or internet pass through). 

Internet pass through is allowing the phone to use your PC's Internet connection.

On the PC:

On the Phone:

* Under Internet Connection, change the setting to Pass through connection (this pick is not available if the phone isn't connected to the PC).

* Set On "Automatically detect settings" and under Select network, pick "The Internet"

You should be all set. The phone will now use Passthrough to get to the Internet when connected via Activesync, and will use Wireless Internet (GPRS) when not connected to the PC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest dchester
Thanks again dchester! This opens a world of ideas to me for customization. I spent Jan and Feb in building a HTPC and customizing it. Now, the obsession starts again, this time with the phone. OMG!! :| 

Glad it helped. This web page I'm working on may be of some help to you.

http://webpages.charter.net/dchester/MPx220/

Are you dc hester or d chester :D ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Choice B.

8)

Guest bkdarch

On the PC:

On the Phone:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right- I can already access the internet on the phone via bluetooth-- I am trying to access files on the pc from the phone- there is a networking feature with the belkin bluetooth adapter I have but it looks like it is not finding the phone as an acceptable device to network-- I thought maybe it would work because I got a pocket pc to work but that was really via 802.11b at the time.. Whether this is truly a useful feature- maybe, maybe not-- Hell- if i could hook my watch up to my network i would try it...maybe when they build a cell with built in 802.11x that will solve it..

Guest emkai

How do you access the internet on your phone via Bluetooth? As i'm understanding this, this then uses your LAN internet connection via a Blutooth port, which means if you use your phone within the network you don't incur any data charges from GPRS, etc?

Is this correct, and if so how the hell do you set that up??

Apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick! :oops:

Guest dchester
How do you access the internet on your phone via Bluetooth?  As i'm understanding this, this then uses your LAN internet connection via a Blutooth port, which means if you use your phone within the network you don't incur any data charges from GPRS, etc?

Is this correct, and if so how the hell do you set that up??

Apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick! :oops:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm, did you somehow skip my earlier post in this thread that explained "How to setup Internet Pass through", or did you just not understand it?