SPV C550 detailed on the CPW Website

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Thanks for perennial-drunkard 'Beersoft' from MSMobileNews for pointing this one out to me...

The CarphoneWarehouse have a page now online about the SPV C550!

It includes a picture, and a few details as follows:

post-1-1113511075_thumb.gif

SPV C550 - The New Smartphone

The SPV C550 mobile phone is the successor to the SPV C500, which has been described as "the world's best" Smartphone. So how does the latest version of the Smartphone compare to its predecessor?. Is the world's fastest car uncomfortable? Is the world's tallest building an eyesore? Is the world's latest Smartphone any good?

Looking Good: The SPV C550 certainly looks small, with much of its size taken up with a large colour screen. In fact, if it wasn't for the screen, you could easily mistake it for a conventional mobile phone.The sleek exterior hides truly exceptional functionality with an easy to use menu and navigation system.

Great Functionality: The SPV C550 brings the familiar Microsoft Windows environment to all aspects of the phone. You can check your email using Outlook. You can browse the web using Internet Explorer. You can listen to MP3 music using the Windows Media Player. You can even chat with friends using instant messaging, and the 1.3 megapixel digital camera allows you to take crystal clear photos.

The Right Connection: When you need to get files from one device to another, the SPV C550 presents you with the latest Bluetooth and GPRS technology. In addition, there's the clever Backup service, which stores your mobile's data on the network in case anything dreadful happens to your handset.

To pre-register your interest in the SPV C550 click the 'Pre-register' button. We will then update you regarding the availability of this product by e-mail.

Not a huge amount of information... it is confirmation of the 1.3MP camera (hope it's better than on my Dopod 585), and a release date of May!

Watch this space for more info soon :D

P

Guest beersoft

this news gets me all excited again

and to think people where moaning that smartphones where doing nothing

(and may is only weeks away)

later

Owen

Guest mavisdavis

Yet I rang Orange uk up today to ask about the M500 & the C550 and nothin was coming up on there systems.

I'm confused now ???

Oh well I'd buy out my contract for one of these any day

Guest nedge2k

Before everyone gets too excited...remember the only real diff here is the megapixel cam and possibly magneto. Remeber the MDA IV commeth :D

Guest glynton
Well i never...so i did :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually... it was originally C500... i have two MSN alerts for the same story, one saying C500, and th latter saying C550. So it msut have been corrected.

Glyn

Guest Raven001

Those "media" buttons are a turnoff for me. Why wasteprecious real estate with such specialized buttons (I know that I will personally never use them).

Not to mention, they really ruin the "look" of the phone (IMO).43

;)

Guest jakobdam

It's times like these that it REALLY bugs me that Orange no longer exists in Denmark!!

What to do, what to do... too expensive without a contract I guess, which means we're bound to the QTek model, which propably will arrive 2 months later than the SPV model, tradition wise... But QTek is quite expensive in DK, and there's none of our tele operators who sells them for a nice price with a contract.

Ok, enough whining from me... ;)

I hope that C550 will no longer have the weird bugs that C500 has - such as the pssst sound and the display that suddenly goes blank...

Furthermore, I hope that C550 will carry the Windows Mobile 2005 (Magneto) ROM....

Guest fasteye

So what we are looking at a phone with Smartphone 2003SE OS with WMP10, normal res screen possibly?, a megapixel cam (big deal) and some silly media buttons. Surely this cannot totally replace the C500 in their portfolio?

It's pandering to the consumer phone market and if it's a replacement for the C500 then it's a poor replacement for what is a very decent business phone.

Very disappointed Orange!!

Better battery life, Quad band, Wifi, EDGE or 3G data and a better aerial/radio stack is what's needed.

Can't see why anyone would get excited over this? I won't be rushing to get one, there must be something much better by the end of the year.

Guest Paul [MVP]

QVGA almost certainly, i'd be pleasantly surprised if it's not WM2003SE.

Definitely WMP10.

Does smell to me like a stop-gap tho before a more groundbreaking device?

P

Guest pierre
Very disappointed Orange!!

Better battery life, Quad band, Wifi, EDGE or 3G data and a better aerial/radio stack is what's needed.

Can't see why anyone would get excited over this? I won't be rushing to get one, there must be something much better by the end of the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know Orange does not operate in countries where Quadriband is needed. I find the battery life great given the abilities of the phone and its size. WIFI: who said it wouldn't be there in C550? Can be that a SD WIFI adapter works.. (Most probably not as operators can lose a lot with phone conversation through WIFI) 3G: Until proved otherwise I want to believe C550 will have it! About aerial I find it comparable with other phones sucha s Nokias, Ericsson etc.

Guest steve_smith

After a few months of "novelty wearing off" factor, I'm actually liking my C500 again now - mainly due to the discovery of Exchange 2003 ActiveSync, and Pocket Mini Golf 2, but also due to finding some other nice apps such as BetaPlayer 8)

If this new phone is available for free (or cheap) upgrade when my contract runs out in July, I'll probably get one. After all, even if another new big thing is on the horizon, it'll only be another year before I can upgrade again ;)

I'd like to see Magneto (although if it is WM2300SE, I'd be happy enough), better camera and the QVGA screen that was being discussed a while ago. Until data tarrifs are more reasonably priced, I think I'd rather stick with GPRS (at least you know your bank account won't be emptied with 10 minutes of careless surfing).

Edited by steve_smith

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.