AotW: CellTrack

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest catman3
i just noticed everyone posting on this thread is from europe - will CellTrack work in the U.S.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it works fine in the U.S.

me like :shock:

I like it a lot. Can't wait for those future features!

This could become one of the most usefull apps yet.

People asking for an app that changes their profile to fit their location could find the awnser in this app.

as you might see... I'm using it aswell. gonna fiddle with it some more now ;)

Pigo

Guest Muzza

Anyone else getting "installation failed. the program or setting cannot be installed because it doesnt have adequate system permissions"?

My phone is definitly app unlocked as I went through the process months ago and I have installed several unsigned applications.

Guest nedge2k

If you are properly app unlocked thn that shouldnt happen. Although i have know it to happen with other apps even when u are app unlocked. Reboot, try again or try app unlocking again.

Guest rekall

Sorry for being dumb - but how do you add the location graphic to your sig??? Adding the URL into my sig simply puts the URL in ;) Thanks

Guest rekall
Sorry for being dumb - but how do you add the location graphic to your sig??? Adding the URL into my sig simply puts the URL in ;) Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DOH! Worked it out - dumb arse

Any idea if you can add this as a sig within Outlook Express? Cheers

Guest rekall

Fantastic thanks!

What would be cool is if you can track your location and input this into something like MSN Messenger 7.0 so it would automatically update your personal message (this was released in v7). Not sure how easy this would be though! 8)

Edited by rekall

Guest Zone-MR

I'm working on something like that ;) A series of plug-ins for MSN/Trillian/IRC/whatnot, which will show your latest location in your nickname, avatar, status message, or wherever. I can't promise this will be ready shortly though, as there are dozens of other features I need to implement first.

Guest Kallisti

So, next stop, GPS tie in? I've submitted a number of cells, but have had to guess their rough coverage. A GPS co-ordinate DB would be a good verification of cell borders.

Guest chucky.egg

NO!

Next stop has to be some sort of Actions/Functions!

If the networks supply their cell information the GPS option will become largely redundant, and I want to see what it can actually DO for me before I spend much time making cell locations "GPS accurate"

Guest FloatingFatMan

Anyonne know if they're planning to do a PPC version? I have an MDA Compact (Magician) so it'd be great if I could use this app too!

I'm sure there's plenty of PPC owners who'd like this functionality!!!

Guest nedge2k
NO!

Next stop has to be some sort of Actions/Functions!

If the networks supply their cell information the GPS option will become largely redundant, and I want to see what it can actually DO for me before I spend much time making cell locations "GPS accurate"

The chances of networks supplying information is looking slim and before you start demanding things, remeber that this is, at the moment, FREE. Location Based Services are usually charged at a high premium. If you dont wish help out by making things accurate, let me know and i'll have ur account de-activated.

For the rest of you who arent rude enough demand, many fucntions are planned including GPS fuctionality to aid accuracy. As im sure you'll understand, bugs need to be worked out before major steps forward can happen. Remeber this is only Beta at the moment ;)

Guest chucky.egg
The chances of networks supplying information is looking slim and before you start demanding things, remeber that this is, at the moment, FREE. Location Based Services are usually charged at a high premium. If you dont wish help out by making things accurate, let me know and i'll have ur account de-activated.

For the rest of you who arent rude enough demand, many fucntions are planned including GPS fuctionality to aid accuracy. As im sure you'll understand, bugs need to be worked out before major steps forward can happen. Remeber this is only Beta at the moment ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey! Easy fella!

I'm not demanding anything, i'm simply saying that right now the accuracy, to GPS level, is not as important to me as being able to use it for my benefit (as opposed to the benefit of people trying to locate me). One of the "selling points" that was first mentioned was being able to perform actions such as redirecting calls.

Apart from the fact that the operators haven't had much time to supply cell maps yet, how is GPS going to help? You can't realistically map GPS points for the entire area a cell covers (which i imagine changes according to factors like the weather anyway) so you'll just end up with patchy collection of GPS points, and a variance of a few meters could mean you're in a different cell.

If this is developing into GPS Location Services then it's a different game altogether.

GPS co-ords from opposite corners of a target area, producing a square of any size, somehow referenced against the average relative strengths from nearby cells ... i'm stretching here, but do you see where i'm going?

You could define a specific area (determined by signal strength on the handset, but potentially defined in the first place using something like multimap) to make location accuracy improvements without a GPS device. "All" you need is to record all cell signals as you move and then, probably on a pc, tell it where you were at regular intervals.

Anyway. None of what i said was meant to be rude, and i assume the same goes for your reply.

If you still want to remove my account that's your right, but please also remove the dozen or so cells I've submitted, and the accuracy updates too (not to GPS levels of course) first.

Chucky

Guest nedge2k

At the end of the day, its all well and good saying "when im in work i want calls redirected to here" but if the accuracy is off ur calls will be redirected when ur not in work. Cell masts cover large areas and the feasability of implementing such features must be assessed before time is wasted on it. The GPS idea is just for information gathering so the database can be as accurate as possible.

This app is a work in progress. Ideas are one thing, implementing them is another. Im sure a few of you have used Tiny GPS and know how crap that was (wouldnt change profiles when it was supposed to etc.), well CellTrack will be better...you just need to be patient ;)

Guest rekall

Yeah cool app - well done and keep up the good work

One thing - I also use tomtom mobile and have noticed a dramatic slow down in its responsiveness since install celltrack and leaving it running - any idea how much resources this baby takes?

Edited by rekall

Guest rameses

Help needed by a newb. How do I get the the image to appear in my forum signature. I've tried a number of times and can only get the url showing rather than the actual image.

UPDATE - Ah, sorted. :D

Tip for anyoneelse who diesn't know. Select IMG on the update signature screen and paste the url in there ;)

Edited by rameses