AvantGo - why does it take ages to sync ?

Guest Perfectionist

Guest Perfectionist

I have one of the good old freebie 2Mb AvantGo accounts with about 1350 webpages pages (according to ActiveSync) to download - it seems to take all night to sync them all ..... is that normal or just cos I haven't paid to go on a premium account ????

Guest MitchellO

It could be that some of the pages you are caching are very slow (ie. on slow servers). My 300 pages take a few minutes on dialup, so having to do it overnight on broadband is WAY to much.

Guest japester36

I had this problem on my iPaq hx4700 since updating to the most recent version. It would sync and save the first 270 pages really quickly and then progressively get slower as it saved the remainder and could easily take a few hours to complete.

I can't tell you what is the problem but I changed from storing on my SD Card to the iPaq Filestore and now it works fine.

It just seems to be the way it is being stored on the SD Card.

I'm not sure this helps but at least you know it's not just you.

John

Guest Perfectionist

Yup I installed Avant on to the SD Card and it seems to also store the webpages there - how do I change where it keeps the pages ?

Am I correct in thinking the max download would be 2Mb (according to the free account) or is the total a lot more ?

Would I need to re-install Avant to main memory or storage ?

Guest MitchellO

I couldn't get it to work properly from Storage, so i removed it and reloaded it to main memory.

Also, what version are you using?? I am using the old v3.3 (integrated into PIE), not the new v5 with its own browser. I found it really slow and bloated.

Guest Perfectionist

I'm using the latest version - is the older one much faster/better ?

It works fine from Main Memory - but SD Card and even Storage memory seems to mess it all up ?

MemMaid has a feature which says it can allow AvantGo to run from SD - anybody tried it ??

Guest En_croute

Silly question probably, but the IE browser has an Avant Go file in its favorites links, so why when I sync 300+ pages and tap the IE Avant Go link, I get "how to set-up Avant Go".

When I ran the PC Install file it stopped at 95% and froze.

It appeard to have loaded, but the PPC install froze as well.

Any hints as to what I'm doing wrong ?

Guest MitchellO

You have to install it first. It is Avant Go version 3.3 that i use, and you have to install it first. My install file is 2954Kb. I might be able to post it here tomorrow. On dialup at the moment.