I successfully recorded a phone call

Guest Alex_le_brit

Guest Alex_le_brit

I've got an SPV Classic, the other day I downloaded NetDictate Mobile which is free and available HERE.

Just to see I tried recording a phone call, and amazingly when I played back the recording, both sides were there, although the caller was a bit quieter than me.

You can only record 15 minutes at a time, but it will put the file straight onto your SD card, and I'd recommend trying it, it'd be good to know if it works for other people too.

Guest Alex_le_brit
Lets do some cross examination...can you attach a clip from the file?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoops deleted it, because it was

a) very boring

and

;) I sounded like Tony Blair

Next phone call, I'll try it and paste it in here.

Edited by Alex_le_brit

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

From the Philippines? Maybe you can ask someone from your place, uhmmm how about your girlfriend? ;)

EDIT:

OK, I'll watch this space for the Tony Blair voice demo.

Guest lekus

Tried the Smartphone 2003 version on my C500 and got the following message:

"Wrong operating system! Handy Recorder needs a SmartPhone 2003 to run."

[edit] I was looking at the wrong page for supported devices, from what I can tell it should run on any Smartphone 2002/2003. Oh well.

Edited by lekus

Guest martin

Just tried this program and it won't run on a C500 as it's looking for Smartphone 2003 only - not SE :D

Luckily I have an E200 with me just now and I tried it on that. IT WORKS and does record both ways although the quality of the other caller is a bit poor. Still it does actually work ;)

I accessed www.flashdictate.com from the mobile (using the pass through connection) and download the cab file.

Guest nikjensie

I tried as well with my MPx220 and although it says that it is supported on their site, I get the same message as lekus... Wrong OS...

Nik

Guest Alex_le_brit

Pleased to see it works for some of you, pity about not supporting SE, but give them time maybe? Although of course with 2005 coming out maybe they'll jump straight to that.

Luckily I have an E200 with me just now and I tried it on that. IT WORKS and does record both ways although the quality of the other caller is a bit poor. Still it does  actually work  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Martin, did you use it with or without the headset? Like I said I only used it with, I on't know if there's a difference, maybe we should all post our recordings here?

Why do I feel slightly smug that having the latest Smartphone doesn't actually mean you can have everything ;)

Edited by Alex_le_brit

Guest martin

I've sent them an E-mail regarding NetDictate and Windows Mobile 2003 SE, in particular SPV C500 and MPX 220. Hopefully I'll get a reply.

Guest martin
Martin, did you use it with or without the headset? Like I said I only used it with, I on't know if there's a difference, maybe we should all post our recordings here?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried it without the headphones and my voice was louder then theirs in the recording.

Guest Alex_le_brit
I tried it without the headphones and my voice was louder then theirs in the recording.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah with headphones it's the same thing, but at least you can hear both sides.

Now the question is "Why did we want to record phone calls in the first place?"

Guest cold_fire
I've got an SPV Classic, the other day I downloaded NetDictate Mobile which is free and available HERE.

Just to see I tried recording a phone call, and amazingly when I played back the recording, both sides were there, although the caller was a bit quieter than me.

You can only record 15 minutes at a time, but it will put the file straight onto your SD card, and I'd recommend trying it, it'd be good to know if it works for other people too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As other in this post say it doesn't work on C500 and i have tried the 2002 and 2003 version .Look at the picture.

Guest muddy250
Just a Note, but isn't recording phone calls in the UK illegal unless you tell the other person??

Dahquim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep! That's why they don't want you to do it!

Guest markgamber

Didn't work on my E200. It looked like it did kind of except the timer acted weird but playback had a couple of pops and buzzes and that was that. Oh well, got a Nokia and an SE phone that record just fine.

Guest Alex_le_brit
Didn't work on my E200. It looked like it did kind of except the timer acted weird but playback had a couple of pops and buzzes and that was that. Oh well, got a Nokia and an SE phone that record just fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mark I had that a few times, it is working, but it has an annoying habit of recording, then you push stop and then for some reason it starts recording again, so that when you then go to playback, you only hear the last little bit, which is the pops and buzzes it recorded as you tried frantically to get it to do something meaningful.

I've found the best thing is to record, then store the recording, and then play it back.

Today I tried this with the Speakerphone profile on, and the other side was considerably louder.

Guest johncody

I'm taking a guess that the netdictate app is simply recording audio entering the mic, and if you start a recording while on a phone call, it is simply recording the resonance sounds vibrating down the phone from the earpiece - that's why the quality is so poor.

As an experiment, try recording a telephone call and then cover up and remove your thumb from the earpiece hole a few times. I am betting that when you play back the recording, the "other" side's voice will change volume/quality in sync of when you covered up the earpiece.

Guest Alex_le_brit
I'm taking a guess that the netdictate app is simply recording audio entering the mic, and if you start a recording while on a phone call, it is simply recording the resonance sounds vibrating down the phone from the earpiece - that's why the quality is so poor.

As an experiment, try recording a telephone call and then cover up and remove your thumb from the earpiece hole a few times. I am betting that when you play back the recording, the "other" side's voice will change volume/quality in sync of when you covered up the earpiece.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John I wondered that too, but as you can see in my original post, the first time I tried it I was using the headset, and I doubt there's a lot of resonance down the wires.

It does seem that altering the speaker volume increases the recording volume of the other party though.

Anyway, I guess what people would really like is this to run on SP2003 SE.