I successfully recorded a phone call

Guest Alex_le_brit

Guest johncody

Even if this app could run on a 2003 SE, can someone *else* really make out what the other person is saying?

You might be able to understand what they are saying when you play it back, because you heard them say it clearly the first time while you were talking live with them.

But, can a third party not privy to the original conversation, be able to make out what the other person is saying?

If not, then this doesn't "sound" like a practical solution even if it did run on 2003 SE devices.

Guest Alex_le_brit
Even if this app could run on a 2003 SE, can someone *else* really make out what the other person is saying?

You might be able to understand what they are saying when you play it back, because you heard them say it clearly the first time while you were talking live with them.

But, can a third party not privy to the original conversation, be able to make out what the other person is saying?

If not, then this doesn't "sound" like a practical solution even if it did run on 2003 SE devices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yes you can hear the other side clear enough to make out what they're saying no problem. In fact the problem is much the fact that you sound like your shouting to their normal speech.

Next person to phone me gets recorded and posted on here for you John, then you can hear for yourself.

Guest Alex_le_brit
How does the quality vary if you don't use a headset and just use the mic and earpiece on the phone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't seem to make any difference at all, whether I use headset or normal mode which suggests that it's not just the mic picking up audio from the speakers, but is in fact getting it from somewhere in the software.

Hoorah

Guest beersoft

Just done some quick research on this

it is LEGAL to record phonecalls as long as one member of the call knows that its being recorded (which just so happens to be us as we are recording the call)

its always fun to phone banks and stuff and ask the call center person if its ok to record the conversation, because if they say no, you can tell them to stop recording the call at there end.

later

Owen

"having fun with call recording"

Guest chucky.egg
BUMP! Any updates, guys? Has anyone reached the developer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you emailed them?

If not... WHY NOT! The more of us that email them requesting it the more likely they are to do it

So far I've had no response myself, so EMAIL THEM!

Guest Alex_le_brit
Have you emailed them?

If not... WHY NOT!  The more of us that email them requesting it the more likely they are to do it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have, and I don't even have 2003SE.... of course if they send me a free C500 I'll happily beta-test it for them.

Guest martin
Have you emailed them?

If not... WHY NOT!  The more of us that email them requesting it the more likely they are to do it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had no response from my Email either ;)

Guest i_oWn_u
anyone know how to record on a mpx220 p.m. if you do thanx-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

anyone? :?:

Edited by i_oWn_u

Guest Arbait
The lack of a 'phone conversation' recorder doesn't make ours less than a Smartphone.  ;)

My two cents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For me is a BIG drawback, im a journalist and is very useful to record some converstions i have on my spv c500, proof, proof... ;)

Guest mossywell
Hmmm, I wonder where it's querying to determine the OS?

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Almost certainly from the OSVERSIONINFO struct. My guess is that they are testing the dwPlatformId, dwMajorVersion and dwMinorVersion and if they don't equal 3, 4 and 20 respectively, bail out. Pity really, because if they'd accept 3, 4 and 21 as well (or just ignore the dwMinorVersion), it would work. BTW, I have my doubts that, er, "editing" the exe will help because it is digitally signed. It would be a simple code change: 5 minute job to fix (if I'm right about this, which is a complete guess!). :frown:

Guest beersoft
recording conversation is illegal! lol but if u guys find a good program letm e know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't phone any company as they proberbly record your calls as its not illegal in the uk

later

Owen

Guest adjonline

From memory, recording phone calls without consent IS illegal in the United Kingdom, hence the numerous announcements one gets on phoning any major corporation that 'calls may be recorded for training purposes/security/etc'

So if you are recording, you technically should answer the phone with:

'Hello...please be advised that for my future listening pleasure, calls to this number are being recorded...' ;)

Guest mossywell
From memory, recording phone calls without consent IS illegal in the United Kingdom, hence the numerous announcements one gets on phoning any major corporation that 'calls may be recorded for training purposes/security/etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your faith in big corporations abiding by the law and setting an upstanding example for us plebs is touching. ;)

A fictional conversation in an unnamed corporate boardroom:

"If people were to record their conversations with our customer services people, we'd be eaten alive by their lawyers."

"Yes, we can't let them do that or all hell will break loose."

"How are we to stop them? It's not illegal after all."

"Easy. Hoodwink them into thinking it's illegal by making them listen to a recorded message each time they call telling them that the conversation may be recorded for legal reasons."

"But we can't say 'for legal reasons' because that's implying it is illegal!"

"Good point. How about we say it's for training purposes?"

"Brilliant! If enough corporations follow suit then the general public will de facto start to think it is illegal."

As I say, it's just a piece of fiction. Isn't it? ;)

Guest beersoft

after a little googling i found this site http://www.veritape.com/callcentre/legals_uk_ofcom.htm

here is a snippet for you

Can I record telephone conversations on my home phone?

Yes. The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use. Recording or monitoring are only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication - which can be a phone conversation or an e-mail - are made available to a third party, ie someone who was neither the caller or sender nor the intended recipient of the original communication. For further information see the Home Office website where RIPA is posted. (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crimpol/crimreduc/regulation/)

Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?

No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording.

Can a business or other organisation record or monitor my phone calls or e-mail correspondence with them?

Yes they can, but only in a limited set of circumstances relevant for that business which have been defined by the LBP Regulations. The main ones are:

* to provide evidence of a business transaction

* to ensure that a business complies with regulatory procedures

* to see that quality standards or targets are being met

* in the interests of national security

* to prevent or detect crime

* to investigate the unauthorised use of a telecom system

* to secure the effective operation of the telecom system.

In addition, businesses can monitor, but not record, phone calls or e-mails that have been received to see whether they are relevant to the business (ie open an employee's voicemail or mailbox systems while they are away to see if there are any business communications stored there). For further information see the DTI website where the LBP Regulations are posted. (http://www.dti.gov.uk/cii/regulatory/telecomms/telecommsregulations/lawful_business_practice_regulations.shtml)

However any interception of employees' communications must be proportionate and in accordance with Data Protection principles. The Office of Information Commissioner (OIC) consulted on a Code of Practice on The use of personal data in employer/employee relationships. It is proposed that where the standards in the Code of Practice are, in the Commissioner's opinion, necessary for compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 they may be directly enforceable as a breach of the Data Protection principles. Accordingly this Code of Practice and the Data Protection Act must also be considered by any business before it intercepts employees' communications. For further information see the OIC website where the draft Code of Practice is posted. (http://wood.ccta.gov.uk/dpr/dpdoc.nsf)

Do businesses have to tell me if they are going to record or monitor my phone calls or e-mails?

No. As long as the recording or monitoring is done for one of the above purposes the only obligation on businesses is to inform their own employees. Businesses wanting to record for any other purpose, such as market research, will have to obtain your consent.

there you go

HTH, HAND

later

Owen

Guest mossywell

Cynicism aside, this is quite interesting because it blurs the distiction between phone calls and emails. It sort of says: what you can do with an email, you can do with a phone call. As we all "monitor" emails (i.e. keep for a while), the same goes of phone calls. Only caveat is that you can't pass them on. Very interesting.

Back to cynisism, I'm speculating that the "corporatons can monitor employees emails and phone calls" was created because most companies were probably already doing it with emails (even if innocently for AV purposes) and it would have been too unpopular for the government to tell them to stop. ;)

Guest thuginme

can anyone tell me how can i record a phone call?

when do i start the recording? befor or after i call some one?

tnx

im out