TotW: Say Goodbye Call-Initiate Sound

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

TotW: Say Goodbye Call-Initiate Sound

Following on from last week's positive feedback, here's another tweak from the 'oh-my-god-does-that-really-bother-you' department ;)

This tweak is tested only on Smartphone devices, but who knows, it may work on Pocket PC Phone Edition devices too :D

What does it do?

It's a nice simple one this week.

You know how when you initiate a call, there is an annoying loud 'beep' in your ear (even when on Silent)...?

Not any more :D

This tweak will rid you of it!

How difficult is it?

This tweak involves Registry editing. So, it's pretty straightforward if you are comfortable editing the Registry, maybe not so easy if not.

Disclaimer: As with all registry changes, you should be very careful when applying this tweak. Edit the wrong thing, and you could break something pretty bad :D

Of course, don't be too scared, you can always Hard Reset if you REALLY break something :D

What do I need to do it?

To apply this tweak, you need a tool that can edit the Registry on your phone.

I recommend (in this order...)

Mobile Registry Editor - This (free) application lets you edit your phone Registry from your PC - Click Here for details

Resco Explorer - This fantastic little (commercial) utility provides a top notch File Explorer on your phone, plus the all important Registry Editor - Click Here for details

PHM Registry Editor - This (free) utility is a standalone Registry Editor for your device - Click Here for details

How do I do it then?

Right!

First of all, spark up your Registry Editor of choice. I have included screenshots below using 'Resco Registry' on the Smartphone, but you'll see pretty much the same thing whatever you are using.

You will be presented with a screen that looks like the following:

post-1-1113769945.gif

Here you see a list of the 'Hives' in the Registry.

The Registry has a 'tree like' structure, which you can navigate by scrolling and clicking, and go back by hitting, well, back :D

So... where is the all important location for this tweak?

Navigate yourself to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\Dialing

post-1-1114372901_thumb.jpg post-1-1114372913_thumb.jpg

post-1-1114372931_thumb.jpg post-1-1114372980_thumb.jpg

This key, as the name suggests, is where the settings are held for the 'Sounds', for when you are 'Dialing'

On the screen you now see before you, you'll see a number of values.

post-1-1114373013_thumb.jpg post-1-1114373197_thumb.jpg

The value we need to edit is called 'Sound'. In this screenshot it is set to 'callStart.wav'. Click the value to change it, change the value to '*none*', hit OK, and you're done!

And Finally...

All Done... Check back next Monday for another 'Tweak of the Week'!

:D

P

Guest chucky.egg
here's another tweak from the 'oh-my-god-does-that-really-bother-you' department ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Say no more!

Can we make requests?

What about a "faster startup" tweak? I've done the "faster shut down tweak", but the other way round would be cool.

Guest spider

geeeee, that was a nice tweak...does this also work on the SPV classic? I got rid of my SPV classic for this reason (as well as many others) but if I had only known this nice little tweak....

The funny thing Orange did not know how to solve this problem (as well as many others) and told me that it was a feature...come on I said....if this is the case, then give me another phone..(as I don't want to damage my ears when I am answering or making phone calls)..and so they did..after some struggle...

Guest Paul [MVP]

A quick sneak peek at the registry shows that the 'In Call' group includes:

- Busy Tone

- Call Drop Tone

- Call Waiting Tone

- Congestion Tone

etc. etc. ;)

P

Guest chucky.egg

Yeah, I had mine set wrong and never got the busy tone - I couldn't understand why some calls just did nothing, until I realised they were engaged when I fixed the setting

• 1 month later...
Guest extravagant

great mine works too! far better like this. At least they should have disabled it autmoatically when ur on silent mode.

Guest snowgoon

Just checking - is this the really loud "BONK" noise you get when you select a contact to dial? or is that a different one?

If so, that'd be a good tweak, I get it when selecting a contact to add to an SMS. REALLLY loud noise and you can't turn it off!

• 1 month later...
Guest Touch Screen Junkie

Hiya thanks for that.

Just wondered if it's possible to choose custom sounds for sms alerts on the M2000? You know, can you choose any .wav file as the new message alert?

Please forgive me if I missed something, but I can't find any specific info on this...

• 4 weeks later...