TotW: Change your Operator Name

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

This tweak is a neat little one that I first discovered (and posted about) a while ago now, but it's still worth highlighting in a TotW IMHO :D

As an added bonus this week, if you don't want to go digging around in the Registry (WIMP! :D), you can apply the same tweak by pointing your phone at http://www.CustomCABbage.co.uk and using the nice webpage there to create a CAB for you ;)

This tweak is only tested on Smartphone devices (let me know if it works on Pocket PC Phone Edition!)

What does it do?

On a lot of homescreens, including the standard one, you will see your 'Operator Name' displayed. For many of you, for example, it will be 'Orange'.

It looks like this:

post-1-1114720209_thumb.jpg

Well, this tweak lets you change that text (e.g. 'Orange') to anything you want. In the screenshot below, I have used this tweak to change it to 'Lemon'.

post-1-1114720336_thumb.jpg

How difficult is it?

This tweak involves Registry editing. So, it's pretty straightforward if you are comfortable editing the Registry, maybe not so easy if not.

Disclaimer: As with all registry changes, you should be very careful when applying this tweak. Edit the wrong thing, and you could break something pretty bad ;)

Of course, don't be too scared, you can always Hard Reset if you REALLY break something :D

What do I need to do it?

To apply this tweak, you need a tool that can edit the Registry on your phone.

I recommend (in this order...)

Mobile Registry Editor - This (free) application lets you edit your phone Registry from your PC - Click Here for details

Resco Explorer - This fantastic little (commercial) utility provides a top notch File Explorer on your phone, plus the all important Registry Editor - Click Here for details

PHM Registry Editor - This (free) utility is a standalone Registry Editor for your device - Click Here for details

How do I do it then?

Right!

First of all, spark up your Registry Editor of choice. I have included screenshots below using 'Resco Registry' on the Smartphone, but you'll see pretty much the same thing whatever you are using.

You will be presented with a screen that looks like the following:

post-1-1114720390_thumb.jpg

Here you see a list of the 'Hives' in the Registry.

The Registry has a 'tree like' structure, which you can navigate by scrolling and clicking, and go back by hitting, well, back :P

So... where is the all important location for this tweak?

Navigate yourself to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\RIL\OperatorNames

post-1-1114720390_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720453_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720472_thumb.jpg

post-1-1114720490_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720504_thumb.jpg

This is where the fun starts... this, as the name suggests, is where the 'alternative' Operator Names are held ;)

Currently, this key will be empty, containing only the 'Default' value. What we need to do is create a value in here that corresponds to our Operator's Number (i'll tell you about this in a moment), and enter some alternate text. We will end up with the following:

post-1-1114720523_thumb.jpg

Firstly, use the 'New' function to create a new value of type 'String'.

The name of the value needs to correspond to the Operator's Number (which in Orange UK's case is 23433).

To find the Operator Number for your Operator, click here to view a list at unlockme.co.uk.

Once you've entered the name, and your alternate text, you will need to reboot to see the change.

And Finally...

All Done... Check back next Monday for another 'Tweak of the Week'!

:D

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

No, if you want that to work, you need to set up the Operator Number of the roaming operator in your registry.

P

Guest peekie

i used RJV RegTweaks UI from airfagev.com to tweak the network name , its a sort of custom cabbage on the phone , but it is also fun to do it the hard way as well ;) ;) :P

Guest MPJ

Thanks for the instructions on how to do this, even I have managed to do it and now have a "Banana" phone, something I have wanted for years after a group of friends discussed how we should set up our own network - bit sad really!

I look forward to more tweaks

Guest pdtp

Just to let you know you don't have to reboot the phone. You can put the phone into flight mode then take it out of flight mode and it will take affect. 8)

Guest MPXtricky
I still take credit for the original tweak ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

err, so what am I missing? neither this tweak or custom cabbage can change my MPX200 (yeah I know, time I moved on) to display anything but

'Orange'

any ideas?

;)(

Guest squall

have you application unlocked?

I did this tweak on the mpx200 a while ago.

nothing wrong with that phone ! was thinking of buying one recently

Guest MPXtricky
have you application unlocked?

I did this tweak on the mpx200 a while ago.

nothing wrong with that phone ! was thinking of buying one recently

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yup - it's unlocked. Just this tweak that doesn't work for me

Guest PayableOnDeath

Nice Tweak ;)

I am now on my own network the PayableOnDeath network lol

too bad I cant tweak the Tarif lol so I can Have Flat Rate GPRS ;)

Took me a while to do it thou PHM Registry Editor kept closing on me :shock: anyone else had that problem??

Edited by payableondeath

Guest stretchy

Followed the instructions, but display is still showing Orange?

Sorted it now, dunno what happened, must have made a typo or something.

Cool little tweak, well done to everyone involved.

Regards Stretch

Edited by stretchy

Guest MPXtricky
Followed the instructions, but display is still showing Orange?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here mate. And I follwed the tweak to the letter

Guest ctitanic

I have been working in this trick for a while but many codes are not good for example, the Cingular code and the AT&T do not work and in the same way many other codes. Would be perfect if we could find a way to get that code from the same phone. As far as I know it's stored in the SIM card but I have not found a way to get it from there.

I also have found that in the registry there is a value where the first 5 digits seem to be the needed code but I'm not sure about it because that does not work in my phone either. I'm talking about this key

Can anybody who has a phone where this trick worked if the code they used is located here?

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RIL\IMSI

Guest nickcornaglia

Paul's tip worked on my Smartphone....under Cingular....when I had one. with code 310410

Did not work on the imate jam

Guest ctitanic
Paul's tip worked on my Smartphone....under Cingular....when I had one. with code 310410

Did not work on the imate jam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tested but it did not work in my MPx220 using Cingular.

Guest ed561nola

This tweak is a neat little one that I first discovered (and posted about) a while ago now, but it's still worth highlighting in a TotW IMHO :D

As an added bonus this week, if you don't want to go digging around in the Registry (WIMP! :D), you can apply the same tweak by pointing your phone at http://www.CustomCABbage.co.uk and using the nice webpage there to create a CAB for you ;)

This tweak is only tested on Smartphone devices (let me know if it works on Pocket PC Phone Edition!)

What does it do?

On a lot of homescreens, including the standard one, you will see your 'Operator Name' displayed. For many of you, for example, it will be 'Orange'.

It looks like this:

post-1-1114720209_thumb.jpg

Well, this tweak lets you change that text (e.g. 'Orange') to anything you want. In the screenshot below, I have used this tweak to change it to 'Lemon'.

post-1-1114720336_thumb.jpg

How difficult is it?

This tweak involves Registry editing. So, it's pretty straightforward if you are comfortable editing the Registry, maybe not so easy if not.

Disclaimer: As with all registry changes, you should be very careful when applying this tweak. Edit the wrong thing, and you could break something pretty bad ;)

Of course, don't be too scared, you can always Hard Reset if you REALLY break something :D

What do I need to do it?

To apply this tweak, you need a tool that can edit the Registry on your phone.

I recommend (in this order...)

Mobile Registry Editor - This (free) application lets you edit your phone Registry from your PC - Click Here for details

Resco Explorer - This fantastic little (commercial) utility provides a top notch File Explorer on your phone, plus the all important Registry Editor - Click Here for details

PHM Registry Editor - This (free) utility is a standalone Registry Editor for your device - Click Here for details

How do I do it then?

Right!

First of all, spark up your Registry Editor of choice. I have included screenshots below using 'Resco Registry' on the Smartphone, but you'll see pretty much the same thing whatever you are using.

You will be presented with a screen that looks like the following:

post-1-1114720390_thumb.jpg

Here you see a list of the 'Hives' in the Registry.

The Registry has a 'tree like' structure, which you can navigate by scrolling and clicking, and go back by hitting, well, back :P

So... where is the all important location for this tweak?

Navigate yourself to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\RIL\OperatorNames

post-1-1114720390_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720453_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720472_thumb.jpg

post-1-1114720490_thumb.jpg post-1-1114720504_thumb.jpg

This is where the fun starts... this, as the name suggests, is where the 'alternative' Operator Names are held ;)

Currently, this key will be empty, containing only the 'Default' value. What we need to do is create a value in here that corresponds to our Operator's Number (i'll tell you about this in a moment), and enter some alternate text. We will end up with the following:

post-1-1114720523_thumb.jpg

Firstly, use the 'New' function to create a new value of type 'String'.

The name of the value needs to correspond to the Operator's Number (which in Orange UK's case is 23433).

To find the Operator Number for your Operator, click here to view a list at unlockme.co.uk.

Once you've entered the name, and your alternate text, you will need to reboot to see the change.

And Finally...

All Done... Check back next Monday for another 'Tweak of the Week'!

:D

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, it is a wonderfull tip, but what about to supply us with the operator's number here in USA, I have a MPx200 and the operator or provider is Cingular, but they don't give the network or operator description, I got stock with ATT on my display, oh by the way, your link to the operato's numbers does not work

thanks

:evil: :shock:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lahout

Hey men!

First of all i tryed ur tweak in all da wayz and i couldnt get it workin :cry: , i live in Australian n my network name is Vodafone AU and i was kinda upset coz i couldnt get it working. Secondly i used the website that u had on ur forum n it stuffed my menu thing, so every time i hit on menu my mobile viberates and i realli apreciate if u could solve dis for me coz its really pissing me off.

Thanx a lot

Lahout ;)

Guest SilentlyScreaming
Hey men!

First of all i tryed ur tweak in all da wayz and i couldnt get it workin :cry: , i live in Australian n my network name is Vodafone AU and i was kinda upset coz i couldnt get it working. Secondly i used the website that u had on ur forum n it stuffed my menu thing, so every time i hit on menu my mobile viberates and i realli apreciate if u could solve dis for me coz its really pissing me off.

Thanx a lot

Lahout ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See here , 2nd last tip

TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE SITE LINKED ABOVE...

MISC. TWEAKS

Totally Useless Tweak

Want the phone to vibrate every time you open a menu????

Use the Registry Editor and edit the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>ControlPanel>Sounds>MenuPopup

Select 'Values'

Then Menu>New Value>String

Value name: Script

Value data: av1p

To revert this back to normal then simply delete the 'Script' value

By the way, the v1 in the script value is actually a longish vibrate, you can change this value if you wish, but i found 1 being the best value, 2 is too long, 0 is too short, and anything higher than 3 is just plain daft.

This tip works with every sound event on the phone, including the KeyPress event, altho i wouldnt recommend it (maybe thats just a little too silly)

Last but not least, the usual disclaimer....

Any damage caused by using any of these tweaks (however unlikely that may seem) is your sole responsibility, it aint my fault guv, ok.

Edited by SilentlyScreaming