Blackish Phone housing

Guest EliteXen

Guest EliteXen

I finally got around to ordering and installing the black/maroon phone housing for my MPX220. I've been lusting after this since the day I got it cause I dropped my 220 the first day I got it, right after I had it activated, so it had an ugly scratch on the antenna part.

Anyways the installation for this housing was much more difficult than i thought. There were no directions with set so I had to do it all very slowly so i didn't forget anything. All in all it took about an hour. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the turnout. Everyone that has seen it loves the new housing. And it feels better than the original silver one (i used to have a nokia and when i switched I always used to complain that the mpx just felt cheap).

Here are some picks of the results:post-111430-1115172113_thumb.jpgpost-111430-1115172121_thumb.jpg

post-111430-1115172135_thumb.jpg

Guest Seth Cold
Is it an OEM? Or just a third party replacement?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

looks great! the one i saw before hadn't the Moto emblems

Guest riven

EliteXen,

Looks good!! I just got mine the other day, but will probably wait for a day off from work to put it together. I don't suppose you have pics or perhaps a tutorial that I could follow when I do mine, would ya??

::cheers::

Guest riven
Yeah it looks good - where did you get the cover from???

Would be great to get a new one  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got mine from cnn.cn. I'm guessing thats where EliteXen got his too....

Guest cortez

mine should be here this week... glad to hear that it's no too difficult. i'll be sure to pay close attention to what i'm doing...

EliteXen - it looks like you had to use your Cingular branded cover on the bottom. did the housing not come with a brown cover?

Edited by cortez

Guest svermilyea

I received my Black OEM (almost maroon) housing kit night before last. The full kit is available from www.cnn.cn/mpx220 and comes with everything but the mini-sd cover, headphone jack cover, and rubber stoppers that go over the screws. I reused each of those items from my original case. OBTW the silver moto emblems must be reused also.

The process is made much easier if you purchase the $1.99 cell phone opener tool, and you will run much less chance of damaging the new case. It took me about an hour also from start to finish. The only hard spot I had was the earpiece speaker which must be positioned just right for the contacts to make with the board in the top cover.

I would rate the project a 2 out of 5, only for the fact that you are forced to go slow and not put too much pressure on the new case (they are not as sturdy as they look.

Guest PsychoBoy
I received my Black OEM (almost maroon) housing kit night before last.  The full kit is available from www.cnn.cn/mpx220 and comes with everything but the mini-sd cover, headphone jack cover, and rubber stoppers that go over the screws.  I reused each of those items from my original case.  OBTW the silver moto emblems must be reused also.

The process is made much easier if you purchase the $1.99 cell phone opener tool, and you will run much less chance of damaging the new case.  It took me about an hour also from start to finish.  The only hard spot I had was the earpiece speaker which must be positioned just right for the contacts to make with the board in the top cover.

I would rate the project a 2 out of 5, only for the fact that you are forced to go slow and not put too much pressure on the new case (they are not as sturdy as they look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where I buy the silver or black housing ??

Guest EliteXen

go to http://cnn.cn/shop/motorola-mpx220-black-f...ffa08b9d30cd139 for the housing

Ships from hong kong so it might be about to week or so but its packed well

like svermilyea said get the cell phone opener and the T5 screw driver to open the screws of the phone.

I think its OEM or at least the quality is really good cause it feels much better than the original silver housing.

I didn't think to make a guide as i was doing it because i thought it would be an easy process but it was harder than i thought. if you do get one make sure you to everything very slowly and remember where everything goes.

Also the kit doesn't come with the silver motorola emblem on the front and back of the phone nor does it come with the cingular/carrier logo at below the keypad and the plastic covering the camera. You have to take those off the silver housing after you remove it.

Whatever you do just be very careful, use slow force, everything is stuck on tightly but they will break easily if you're not careful...

Guest gapfilmvideo

did anyone try to reposition or determine if repositioning the speakers (earpiece and or ext.) is even possible ?????

Guest EliteXen

Oh you'll be fine, worst case scenario you mess something up, just put it back in the silver housing and send it back saying theres something wrong with it. That's what warranties are for ;)

Sounds fairly easy from what you guys are saying...  I'm just a little wary of creating a $450+ paperweight.    *S*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest svermilyea

The process is not hard, you just need to take it slow as not to damage anything.....honestly, the worst part was moving the internal antenna. It is a stick on type and must be peeled up like a piece of tape......again slow is the key.

I looked at moving the speaker, but it is not possible. It is installed on the back of the LCD board......you could desolder it and build some leads, but there is really no room in the inn to move it any where else.

The ear piece can not be moved as it runs a simple contact connection from the ear speaker to the LCD board, and you would have to solder leads from the earpiece to the board. I did put some extra stand off material between the housing and the earpiece to force a better connection, and I seem to have better sound volume and quality now.

This is truely a OEM housing.....very good quality......and I am very pleased with the results.

Guest riven
The process is not hard, you just need to take it slow as not to damage anything.....honestly, the worst part was moving the internal antenna.  It is a stick on type and must be peeled up like a piece of tape......again slow is the key.

I looked at moving the speaker, but it is not possible.  It is installed on the back of the LCD board......you could desolder it and build some leads, but there is really no room in the inn to move it any where else.

The ear piece can not be moved as it runs a simple contact connection from the ear speaker to the LCD board, and you would have to solder leads from the earpiece to the board.  I did put some extra stand off material between the housing and the earpiece to force a better connection, and I seem to have better sound volume and quality now.

This is truely a OEM housing.....very good quality......and I am very pleased with the results.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just ordered the black rubber pieces yesterday, so I will wait until they come in to change over. Where did you all start? I mean, which part did you open first, upper, lower, or does it really make a difference?

I've been modding my PocketPC and Smartphone for a little while, but am a little nervous about doing a "hardware mod" for the first time. Felt the same way about the ol' Xbox too, but I got over that quick enough.... ;))

::cheers::

Guest monkeygadge

Got mine today from CNN and fitted in half an hour - bit tricky with the cover, but a good tip is to use a plactic guitar plektrum - it work scratch the housing even if you really go for it!

Shame that the plastic bits did not include a black Mini SD slot cover - it's the only thing that looks out of place.

Final result looks good though. ;)

Guest svermilyea

......Well....an unfinished project is like a rock in your shoe.....it eats at you until you take care of it......so the last of my parts arrived yesterday for the new housing and once all is said and done.....this is what it looks like.......

post-39242-1116165149_thumb.jpg

post-39242-1116165165_thumb.jpg

post-39242-1116165181_thumb.jpg

post-39242-1116165220_thumb.jpg

post-39242-1116165235_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest landrock78
how did you guys remove the emblems from the original silver housing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're just stuck on with a little adhesive. Just peel them up. At least that's what was holding down the ear piece above the interior screen, so I'm assuming that its the same with the emblems. I liked the look without the silver Moto emblems on the outside so I never peeled them off of the silver case.

If you do decide to peel them off, be careful!!! The pieces tend to bend when you're peeling them off!!

• 1 month later...