New Orange ROM on all new C500's?

Guest Dr Who

Guest Dr Who

I have heard the rumours that all new C500's carry the new ROM. Can anyone confirm that this is true? I am finally going to convinve Orange that my dust problem is now SO bad it is not a 'cosmetic' problem. I can't see the time at all any more!

Guest bluesmudge
I have heard the rumours that all new C500's carry the new ROM. Can anyone confirm that this is true? I am finally going to convinve Orange that my dust problem is now SO bad it is not a 'cosmetic' problem. I can't see the time at all any more!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah theres a post round here somewhere of someone who went and tested the c500 in an orange shop and found WMP 10 - leading to the assumption that it is shipping with it . . . . from shops.

I asume you want a replacement C500 for the dust problem AND with the added bonus that you'll be getting the new ROM?

Well its a good idea but their replacements come from a big stock pile of reconditions, i expect it will carry the old ROM. I expect only brand new C500's from the shops will carry it, unless you're lucky.

But get your phone replaced anyway, i've had mine done twice for dust issues, both times i phoned at midnight and didn't ask for a replacement, i insisted.

Your problem is i gather you have rung before, and from what i can make out, your file with orange contains logs of your calls to them and their general content and out come . . . (as they seem to know of my previous convos with them) For the sake of continuity they might still say no to you. . . . though that is just my theory on the subject.

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest Dr Who
Yeah theres a post round here somewhere of someone who went and tested the c500 in an orange shop and found WMP 10 - leading to the assumption that it is shipping with it . . . . from shops.

I asume you want a replacement C500 for the dust problem AND with the added bonus that you'll be getting the new ROM?

Well its a good idea but their replacements come from a big stock pile of reconditions, i expect it will carry the old ROM. I expect only brand new C500's from the shops will carry it, unless you're lucky.

But get your phone replaced anyway, i've had mine done twice for dust issues, both times i phoned at midnight and didn't ask for a replacement, i insisted.

Your problem is i gather you have rung before, and from what i can make out, your file with orange contains logs of your calls to them and their general content and out come . . .  (as they seem to know of my previous convos  with them) For the sake of continuity they might still say no to you. . . . though that is just my theory on the subject.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That pretty much it Bluesmudge. My last phone call ended with them saying they would replace it, but *might* charge me if the problem wasn't bad. It is VERY bad. I went into an Orange store the other day and the CS drone was suprised at how bad the problem was. He directed me to the Oxford Street branch which has a repair centre apparently, so I have to trek down there one lunch time. But I am just going to push the shop into telling the phone bods that my phone is worthy of a replacement. I am amazed that none of the people I have spoken to have ever heard of the dust problem on the C500. Still, if I am getting a replacement the new ROM as a fresh install would be nice.

Guest ahodgekins

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I tested a C500 in the Angel Islington Orange shop back in October, it was the assistant's own, personal phone. Wonder if someone in the Orange shop has been playing with the French ROM?

Guest bluesmudge
When I tested a C500 in the Angel Islington Orange shop back in October, it was the assistant's own, personal phone.  Wonder if someone in the Orange shop has been playing with the French ROM?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know where the phone was tested which had WMP 10 - in the shop in oxford the test phones are stuck to a stand, therefore not the assistant's . . . though it gets so busy in there i havn't had a chance to test it yet.

Dr who my good man - let us know how you get on.

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest Dr Who
I don't know where the phone was tested which had WMP 10  - in the shop in oxford the test phones are stuck to a stand, therefore not the assistant's . . . though it gets so busy in there i havn't had a chance to test it yet.

Dr who my good man - let us know how you get on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will do. Got a gimpy foot at the mo so I might not make it down till next week.

Guest bluesmudge
Will do. Got a gimpy foot at the mo so I might not make it down till next week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

can't you just take the tardis?

OR perhaps you could just go into the future to see if you actually get the phone.... see if its just a waste of time!

Guest Vorzico

My c500 is fairly new. The rom version is 4.21. Is that a new version, or should i upgrade? If so could someone give me the link, as i have only found rom version 4.14 (or something)

Guest bluesmudge
My c500 is fairly new. The rom version is 4.21. Is that a new version, or should i upgrade? If so could someone give me the link, as i have only found rom version 4.14 (or something)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually mate you're looking at the wrong thing . . . thats something to do with windows . . . scroll down the ABOUT screen and find the bit that says "ROM update versions: Operator: "INSERT ROM VERSION HERE" " the operator version has always got a single digit between full-stops i.e the current ROM on mine 4.1.1.4

Check again mate and let us know what you've got and when you brought the phone

oh and 4.1.1.4 is the standard - you'll also know if you have the new ROM if you have Media player 10 instead of 9

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest Dr Who
can't you just take the tardis?

OR perhaps you could just go into the future to see if you actually get the phone.... see if its just a waste of time!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I *could* take the Tardis but it has been a little unreliable of late. It doesn't help that I can't see any of the controls because of this thick layer of dust under the screen..........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recieved my C500 yesterday and it's running 4.1.1.4 :cry:

Still i'm happy so far, just need to work out the application unlocking now ;)

BDC

Guest Dr Who
I recieved my C500 yesterday and it's running 4.1.1.4  :cry:

Still i'm happy so far, just need to work out the application unlocking now  ;)

BDC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool - I might have to hand on a wee bit longer then.

Guest mavisdavis
I recieved my C500 yesterday and it's running 4.1.1.4  :cry:

Still i'm happy so far, just need to work out the application unlocking now  ;)

BDC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For app unlock mate go HERE

Guest moosery
Thanks, that's the one!

BDC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

surprise surprise, it still doesn't work. Though at least now it says it's going to send the unlock to my phone.

Nothing arrives at my phone, mind you.

Anyone else?

Guest davidhorn
surprise surprise, it still doesn't work. Though at least now it says it's going to send the unlock to my phone.

Anyone else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to connect to a GPRS site on your phone before you try it.

Guest viraj

right i tried to resolve my dust issue with orange and all they said is that they'll run a diagnostic and that i had to phone HTC the manufacturers.

they want to charge me 37.50 to fix a phone they made with faults, they gotta be joking.

how can i get either them or orange to sort this out

;)

You need to connect to a GPRS site on your phone before you try it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it still fails to unlock your phone, send your IMEI number (obtainable by typing *#06#), your name and an email address that doesn't block .exe or .zip files to [email protected]

"They" will send you a .exe file to run on your pc with ActiveSync...

right i tried to resolve my dust issue with orange and all they said is that they'll run a diagnostic and that i had to phone HTC the manufacturers.

they want to charge me 37.50 to fix a phone they made with faults, they gotta be joking.

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you buy your phone directly from Orange? If not, then you may have to persue your replacement claim through the store where you originally bought it.

When I called Orange, I just said to them that I'd heard through other people that the dust issue has been recognised by Orange as a problem and asked if they would replace my handset. The lady I spoke to said that she'd heard of the problem and then passed me on to the technical department (I think). From there, they just asked me for a few details and warned me that if dust wasn't found under the screen that I may be charged. Next morning at two minutes to nine, I had the courier knocking at the door with my nice shiny replacement - and the rest is, as they say, history ;)

Guest Mike_MK

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey viraj,

Don't listen to what they're saying. Did you get you're phone via an Orange directly? I phoned up about my first C500 handset and the dust problem, and I got a guy saying "It's nothing to do with Orange, you need to phone HTC because it's their fault" (Pass the buck it seems). I phoned HTC and they told me it was Orange's fault, so I was annoyed I was getting messed around and it was raining, so I was quite pissed off lol. Anyway, I phoned Orange back, and the guy I got on the phone said something along the lines of "Oh you must of been speaking to one of the morons", and said it was a known problem with the phones and you get a free replacement as long (I think it's as you're within your purchase period of 14 days), and I got a new one the next morning (phoned them at about 3pm one day, got the replacement 9am the next).

Anyway, basically just hassle Orange and demand a replacement because it IS a known problem. Basically you need to take the "I know more than you" approach to get them to actually do any work.

Hope this helps.

Guest moosery
If it still fails to unlock your phone, send your IMEI number (obtainable by typing *#06#), your name and an email address that doesn't block .exe or .zip files to [email protected]

"They" will send you a .exe file to run on your pc with ActiveSync...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cheers - I will give them a go, though I have tried that before too and been ignored.

I gave up at the time, it was just too hard. Orange are just too poor when it comes to trying to do anything outside the box*

Will let you guys know.

* "the box" refers to solely phone calls and text messages, I can only assume.

Guest Shrike

I picked a C500 up on Sunday (I was trying to wait til the C550 was released, but we all know what orange are like with release dates of good phones). And I actually tried two different models, one was the silver one and the one that I took home was the black one for the none-business types. Anyway. Neither had WMP10 or any new ROM's, and the one I got was apparently from a fresh delivery.

Guest kalab

Anyone else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worked like a dream. Had the phone app unlocked in 2 minutes.

Thanks mavisdavis for the link

Guest waroffice

i just got orange care, they didnt say it was £15 excess but who cares, my phone is battered cos i used it for work (till i kept getting calls from colleges at home asking for help with their own pcs, im a IT tech) the back/delete key is on its way out along with the number 1 key, also there is a strange rattle i noticed when calling someone and walking one day. i will wait a month or 2 and get a replacement.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dr Who

Anyone else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unbelievably I have managed to get mine replaced with a new one because of the dust problem. Luckily I now have an ipod so any possible problems with the tssss noise (which my last phone didn't *seem* to have) will not be an issue. I was sad to discover that in the month that I haven't been back to the site that the new ROM hasn't surfaced. Still, I shall enjoy my dust free phone as long as it lasts.