GADGETotW: Jabra BT800

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

GADGETotW: Jabra BT800

Welcome to Gadget of the Week!

My Gadget of the Week this week is the Jabra BT800.

What is it?

It's a Bluetooth headset (in an over-the-ear-style, unlike some other Jabra headsets). Bluetooth headsets are dull right? YES... normally. Let me introduce you to the Jabra BT800... the most amazing Bluetooth headset i've ever owned ;)

The official Jabra blurb says:

With the BT800 your phone becomes the accessory! Your mobile phone’s functions and operations are simply mirrored on the headset, giving you an immediate feeling of familiarity. It’s innovative, yet intuitively simple to use.

Functions at your fingertips

All the features and operations you’re so familiar with on your mobile, are now available from the headset itself. Using just four controls – the mute button, jog wheel, ‘Answer’ and ‘End’ buttons - accessing the functionality you need is easy and natural. For example, the jog wheel - used for scrolling through menu functions in standby mode - becomes the volume control during a call. Soon it’ll be second nature.

Blue backlit screen

Unique to the BT800 is the blue backlit LCD display, which shows ‘Caller ID’ on incoming calls so you know who’s calling - no need to look at your phone. You can also use it to view the phone’s call list and menu options.

Digital Signal Processing

The BT800’s unique Digital Signal Processing (DSP) means that, whatever the environment, you are assured of optimum audio quality. DSP’s automatic volume control compensates for noisy surroundings by increasing the listening level accordingly and noise cancellation technology means that the incoming caller can hear you more clearly.

‘Vibrate alert’ or favourite ring tone

The BT800’s call vibrate/ring tone function enables you to select your favourite ring tone from the headset itself. Or if you prefer, simply set the BT800 to ‘vibrate only’, so you silently know when a call is coming through.

Where can I get it?

The Jabra BT800 is available for £68.95 from here...

Why do I want it?

So let's talk about a few of the coolest features...

- 5 different ringtones

There are 5 ringtones built into the headset itself that you can select, they're not bad either!

- Voice activated dialling

You can activate your C500's voice activated dialling from the headset itself!

- Vibrating call alert

That's right, you can make the HEADSET vibrate to alert you of an incoming call... first time i've had a headset that does that, and it's a bit weird :P

- View, select and call from call list

The headset holds a call list of it's own that you can manouevre and call from.

Caller ID on incoming calls

This is one of the coolest things... the headset has a small (blue backlit) LCD screen that displays the caller ID of incoming calls... great if you have the headset sitting on the desk and your phone in your pocket for example.

- Reject incoming calls

Kinda figures if you have caller ID, you might want to reject the call... you can do it from the headset.

- Charging via USB

The headset INCLUDES a cable to charge via USB (a vital thing in my opinion, all my gadgets charge via USB I think!). It's a Mini USB type connection, although NOT the same as the C500 Mini USB (4 pin v 5 pin or something?)

Here's the best thing of all about the headset... all these functions work correctly with the C500! All my previous headset experiences have been something of a disappointment, poor range, things not working as they should, missing features when used with the C500... but the BT800 works exactly as described... I was stunned when the caller ID was passed through correctly! :shock:

So, if you are in the market for a Bluetooth headset... the BT800 comes with my personal recommendation!

I have a question...

Something else you want to know? Just reply to this post with any questions ;)

P

Guest Leaskovski
Voice activated dialling

You can activate your C500's voice activated dialling from the headset itself!

HAHAHAHAHA! Only if the C500 isn't locked! Pah, stupid stupid design! ;)

Edited by Leaskovski

Guest venomgames

Anyone know if it will work with a laptop (Sony Vaio T1XP tiny one with built in bluetooth) for use as a headset for MSN Messenger etc.? (Cant do this with my old Siemens headset)

Also can it stay bonded to more than one device, or do you ahve to rebond as you change uses?

I like the USB charging and long standby time, and the display

Peter

Guest RiceBurner

I currently use one of these with a HTC Blue Angel : Orange SPV M2000 to be exact.

The "Make a new call to one of the numbers that have already rung you" doesn't work.

The Quality of the reception is haphazard at best - do NOT let the phone get more than a metre away from the headset, and if the phone is in your pocket, you have to keep the headset on the same side of your body if you want ANY cohesive form of conversation.

When you are rung, it takes about 10 seconds for the headset to synch with the phone actually open up the connection, this is a bit weird for the caller because they get 10 seconds of silence after you "answer" the call.

The "Caller ID" function is only useful if you can actually remember numbers - I use the phone's systems to attach a name to a number so don't HAVE to remember numbers!!

Haven't tried voice control of the phone through it yet - don't have Voice Control installed.

Overall - 5/10 from me - it's a nice unit, the functionality is pretty good, and it's a funky gadget, but it promises FAR more than it actually delivers.

Guest greyt

I bought one of these for the wife (she also has a C500). The quality when she uses it in the car is terrible, can hardly hear a word she is shouting ;)

Much happier with the Parrot CK3100 for in car use.

Guest Fusius

How did you get the Caller ID to work perfectly with it? I have the Audiovox SMT5600 and the Caller ID doesn't work with that at all. When I called Jabra, they said that the BT800 is designed to work with phones that have the "Hands Free" profile which the SMT5600 doesn't have (even though you can set the BT800 as a hands free device on the phone). Does the C500 have a hands free profile? Can someone send me the settings for the hands free profile so I can see if I can create it and set it on my SMT5600 and get the Caller ID to finally work?

Guest venomgames

I suspect you are talking about 2 different things here, as I was confused for a few moments when comparing Paul's feature list to reviews elsewhere.

Am I right in thinking that Paul means the caller ID function "works correctly" by displaying the number calling, but the other poster expects it to display the name of the caller from the phone's directory?

Guest spider

@venomgames

Concerning your question about how many devices it can stay bonded with: well of course only one at the time, but you can store up to 10 devices in the memory, and you can select each of them within the menu. Further to that it will recognize what device you have nearby when you turn the headset on and it will then select that device. However i have not triede to have more than one device turned on to see what will happen if two devices is on and you turn on the headset...

In my opinion it is a OK headset though I think it is a bit loose when you hang it over the ear. If you turn your head quickly you feel that it will fall off...but it does not...actually you have to shake your head pretty much before it will drop off....but still it feels as it will drop off at any time....

I think the DSP circuit works pretty well as well as the AGC. Specially in the trafic I can hear the AGC gives more and less gain depending of the trafic noise.

However I think the sound is a bit in the high pitch, I could for sure use some more low freq in the headset...

BUT THE BEST PART...is that you will over the time be able to upgrade the firmware in the headset, trough the USB cable....yes, that is what the manual says...I have however not been able to find any upgrades on the webside...but I hope it will come..maybe they will add more features over time, when they see what kind of response they get from the users....

Guest AJCrowley

i fancy the bt800, but i don't fancy wearing it all the time, some review i found said you get a belt pouch with it, is this true ?

if not, how heavy is it ? would a lanyard be alright with it ?

Guest Fusius
i fancy the bt800, but i don't fancy wearing it all the time, some review i found said you get a belt pouch with it, is this true ?

if not, how heavy is it ?  would a lanyard be alright with it ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You DO get a belt pouch with it

@Paul: According to what tech support told me, the unit is designed to get Caller ID information that is "pushed" from the phone. This is normally done if you have a "Hands Free" profile (the SMT 5600 has a "Headset" profile but not a "Hands Free" profile). As a result, even though we can set up the BT800 as a hands free device on the phone, since we don't have a hands free profile on the phone, the Caller ID number isn't being "pushed" to the unit which is why it doesn't work. They suggested some things I could try to trick the phone into sending the Caller ID information, but none of it worked. Somehow, we (SMT5600 owners) need to create or add a profile to our existing list of profiles for Hands Free (and no, "Speakerphone" profile isn't the same). Anybody know how to create a profile on the phone and does anyone with a Hands Free profile on their phone think they can send the information from the registry on it so we can try?

Guest martinwilliams999
I am thinking... can see actually see the side screen............??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering exactly the same thing.

What on Earth is the point of having a display on the headset?

Surely you have to take it off to read it, unless you're horribly deformed of course.

I think I'll stick with my battered but trusty old BT200, which works just fine on my C500, voice dialling and all.

Although...

I'd love to know how to do a voice-activated redial on it.

Guest Paul [MVP]

The caller display is for if you're not wearing the headset at the time, and the phone is in your pocket for example!

P

Guest martinwilliams999
The caller display is for if you're not wearing the headset at the time, and the phone is in your pocket for example!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Riiiiight.

:shock:

Guest sickunit
Anybody know how to create a profile on the phone and does anyone with a Hands Free profile on their phone think they can send the information from the registry on it so we can try?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you ever find out how to please post it... I really wanted one of these headsets, but whats the point if I can't use all of the features...

Guest Paul [MVP]

That's how I use it anyway...

For example, I have the headset in the car but not on my head, and I can take the call and see who it is without having to get the phone out of my pocket when I get in the car.

I wish I could sync over the phone book tho ;)

P

Riiiiight.

:shock:

Guest spider

@Fusius

Funny enough, I did not get any belt pouch with it...maybe it is because I bought in DK, and that they do not have the same acc, as others, but i would have been nice though...

Guest RiceBurner
You DO get a belt pouch with it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't.

don't see why you'd need one either - it goes in a pocket quite nicely.

Mine has started to ignore the phone though when making a new outgoing call. The phone connects and the "headset" icon goes live - but there's no sound from either the phone nor the headset - rather embarrasing really. ;)

Can't decide now if it's worth holding onto - the reception from phone to headset is truly awful and it's very susceptible to interference.

;) I hate technology that overpromises and underdelivers. :P