Orange just making up the GPRS usage for billing?

Guest fraser

Guest fraser

Hey all,

Right, got my M2000 3/4 months ago, very happy to have a phone with WiFi now. Previously I had an SPV, which I had checking my IMAP mailbox at home every two hours. This cost me around 4-5 meg per month of data charges.

I now have a M2000, so my mail gets done over wireless now, at no charge. In fact, because I run my mail server on a non-default SSL port, it is actually impossible for the phone to check my mail over GPRS without me manually setting up a SSH/SSL tunnel session (don't ask!).

So, my usage of GPRS should now essentially be zero. I still have the bundle though, as I'm keeping it on to see how things go.

Just got a bill in for last month, and they have me down for using 4-5 meg of my allowance. That is completely impossibe, I NEVER use GPRS for browsing, and my firewall will dump all the IMAP packets form the internet side of the connection (thru GPRS). At home on Wifi, it has a direct connection. Even half-a-meg of traffic in failed connection attempts is unthinkable.

There's nothing on my phone that I am aware of that is set to download or sync anything. I am trialing some things now that do, but I wasn't last month or the month before.

So, what the hell are Orange up to? I'm tempted to install a GPRS monitor application, but from other posts I read it would seem they create more problems as well.

Guest chucky.egg

Yeah, I was questioning my GPRS bill which included an additional 7Mb of traffic. Traffic Monitor didn't think I'd used that much (a little over my bundle, but not 7Mb)

I got a £5 credit on my bill for kicking up a stink, but basically they could charge you for whatever they like - how can you prove anything different? (especially as they don't include a GPRS monitor, and they no longer tell you your GPRS usage over the phone)

Their bundle monitoring service was down the other day, so maybe there is a problem (or maybe it just crashed).

Guest wimpydragon

I've had two months of odd usage stats from them on the bills too. I'm going to see how it is this month and decide whether to take it further.

Guest bronksy

I was charged 11meg of Orange WAP access (in additional to my 4meg GPRS account) I never use WAP, only use the OrangeInternet connection for getting mails.. so even allowing for some accidental surfing from the handset...it was pretty bizarre.

I tried to explain that 11meg of WAP pages is almost unfeasible.. but they couldn't help me.

Idiots.

Guest chucky.egg

TBH they do all seem to just accept that whatever it says on their system is fact, and not question anything

A few weeks back I called OCS to ask for my GPRS usage figure, which they chap gave me without any hesitation. This week I phone up again (to make sure Traffic Monitor is showing the same as the Orange system) and I get the answer that there is no way to get that information other than on my bill. I explained that I had been given the information last time, but the guy says "Nope, not possible, it's just not accessible". FFS!

Tea party and Chimps springs to mind.

Guest fraser

Hmm, thinking about phoning and complaining then. Not sure if there is much point though, the best I'd get would be a few quid. Question is if it's worth spending the time trying to explain it all to them!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pee_14

My Bill this month was a total of £166, I podered it for a while wondering what was wrong.. When I looked at dats charged they had chraged me £122 for 11MB!!!! I called them and got a credit, however they still charged me £2 a MB for the 11 I used.. I thought it was cheaper than this but I could be wrong.

Guest Pondrew

Hmmm. I left Orange for T-Mobile in order to get the MDA III and one of the things I was impressed at with T-Mobile was that their website shows your GPRS allowance remaining. On top of that a call to 150 can also tell you the allowance remaining (automated mind you, not a human customer service rep!).

Strange that T-Mobile can do it and Orange can't (but then again Orange don't charge the ridiculous £7.50 per meg outside bundle that T-Mob do)...

Just to illustrate how effective the T-Mobile website gprs allowance monitor is-

My new allowance started at midnight. I confirmed this by calling the automated service while on nightshift this morning. Browsing while at work used about 400k according to my GPRS monitor and just now checking online confirmed this, just under 500k used. I'm pretty impressed as it seems to update very quickly.

Guest pedd

I've had similar issues with Orange, who are sigularly unable to help as apparently the data team isn't customer facing.

Was in dispute with Orange for about £80 worth of data usage, but then made the mistake of smashing my M2000 and they wouldn't honour the Orange Care commitment to send me a replacement until I paid the funds I was holding from them :-(

I used to be evangelical about Orange, recommending them to all my friends, but ever since they introduced that Premier service, all non-premier customers seem to get treated like animals.

Add to that the fact that I'm on my 4th M2000 (the only one that seemed to work properly I smashed :-( ) and even this one seems to deciede that I don't need the earpiece working every 3rd day.

I'm currently wondering about signing up for another supplier (t-mobile are looking cheapest) on a data-heavy tariff, unlocking the M2000, putting the new SIM into that and using my orange SIM in the new handset.

Pondrew, you seem impressed with T-Mobile's GPRS administration - what do you think of the coverage and speed?

Only problem I've had with Orange's GPRS billing is where they tried to charge me at a rate of £10 pre MB the other month :s Not impressed with that at all!

Still, they corrected it and gave me a credit of the difference. It does concern me though that we have absolutely no "accurate" way to monitor our GPRS useage - the apps that I've tried on my C500 seem to be pretty much hit and miss - sometimes registering the transferred data, other times not :s

Guest Pondrew
Pondrew, you seem impressed with T-Mobile's GPRS administration - what do you think of the coverage and speed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well I sure wasn't happy recently when I broke down in Scotland and found I had no signal.

The local guy who let us use his phone said T-Mobile was definately NOT the way to go up there (he was with Orange)!

But no complaints with the speed and no problems connecting (as long as there's a signal).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest deepakjee

Hey

I've had similar problems with Orange, my monthly usage averaged

4/5MB but one month my bill showed 29.9MB usage (impossible) on

top of which I'd been charged each MB at £10.

After much messing about they agreed that the £10 per MB was incorrect

but there was no way for them to itemise the bill showing where the

apprarent 29.9MB had come from.

I cancelled my contract and moved to T-Mobile, my MDA Compact does

have a GPRS monitor as supplied by T-Mobile so the bill and monitor

should be in sync. I will wait and see...

Hey all,

Right, got my M2000 3/4 months ago, very happy to have a phone with WiFi now. Previously I had an SPV, which I had checking my IMAP mailbox at home every two hours. This cost me around 4-5 meg per month of data charges.

I now have a M2000, so my mail gets done over wireless now, at no charge. In fact, because I run my mail server on a non-default SSL port, it is actually impossible for the phone to check my mail over GPRS without me manually setting up a SSH/SSL tunnel session (don't ask!).

So, my usage of GPRS should now essentially be zero. I still have the bundle though, as I'm keeping it on to see how things go.

Just got a bill in for last month, and they have me down for using 4-5 meg of my allowance. That is completely impossibe, I NEVER use GPRS for browsing, and my firewall will dump all the IMAP packets form the internet side of the connection (thru GPRS). At home on Wifi, it has a direct connection. Even half-a-meg of traffic in failed connection attempts is unthinkable.

There's nothing on my phone that I am aware of that is set to download or sync anything. I am trialing some things now that do, but I wasn't last month or the month before.

So, what the hell are Orange up to? I'm tempted to install a GPRS monitor application, but from other posts I read it would seem they create more problems as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Pondrew

Both the GPRS monitor that came with my MDA III and T-Mobile website that tells you how much GPRS you have left have proved very useful for me. Amazing that Orange couldn't provide either of these...

Guest travisb

Yes I was very shocked when the T-Mob CSR told me about the software and online tracking for GPRS. I know Orange have in their hands billing software that can handle GPRS tracking, as I used to work for the software house that made it for them (well France Telecom anyway). I suspect it's just laziness on their part, and one of the reasons I have just binned my Orange contract.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Marizu

My friend is currently in dispute with Orange about a GPRS bill.

The other month, he suddenly got a huge one after having performed normal activity.

He called them and asked them to detail the usage but they refused. He stuck to his guns and eventually they came back with another bill that had much lower data use. On this bill, the number of mb they claimed multiplied by the price/mb gave a different value than the amount that the bill was for. When he pointed that out, they amended the bill but claimed that the data use was correct.

This is ongoing.

In the meantime, he has got a t-mobile MDA Compact which has a GPRS monitor in it. That GPRS monitor tallies up with the Tmobile website.

There is little to prove by using a 3rd party GPRS monitor because it could have bugs. There is no reason for Orange to accept its readings. The great thing about the MDA Compact on t-mobile is that they provide an inbuilt GPRS monitor so if there is a discrepancy, they provided the monitor that failed to allow you to curb your usage so they can whistle for the money :)

Guest fraser

I am 95% certain that Oranges GPRS metering is completely screwed up. I'm going to remove the dial up preferences for a month & I'll see what happens. If I still get an "average" GPRS bill, Orange will be asked to refund all of my GPRS charges over the last three years!! :evil: Either that, or it's lawyer and bad PR time!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest manjax

I too have had a problem with Orange suddenly charging £10 per mb GPRS and, although they are crediting me, they are still getting my money for a month for nothing. I apparently exceeded my 4 mb usage in just 1 session (30 minutes connection time). I am a Premier customer but do not believe the service is any better, just get a few extra benefits.

The person I spoke to was able to tell me all the details about GPRS usage though so anyone having problems should ask for a supervisor

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BobaKet
My friend is currently in dispute with Orange about a GPRS bill.

The other month, he suddenly got a huge one after having performed normal activity.

He called them and asked them to detail the usage but they refused. He stuck to his guns and eventually they came back with another bill that had much lower data use. On this bill, the number of mb they claimed multiplied by the price/mb gave a different value than the amount that the bill was for. When he pointed that out, they amended the bill but claimed that the data use was correct.

This is ongoing.

In the meantime, he has got a t-mobile MDA Compact which has a GPRS monitor in it. That GPRS monitor tallies up with the Tmobile website.

There is little to prove by using a 3rd party GPRS monitor because it could have bugs. There is no reason for Orange to accept its readings. The great thing about the MDA Compact on t-mobile is that they provide an inbuilt GPRS monitor so if there is a discrepancy, they provided the monitor that failed to allow you to curb your usage so they can whistle for the money :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How did your friend get a new invoice produced from Orange?? It's not possible as once a bill has been produce after the bill date this can never be changed, the system just doesn't allow it.

Also the M500 comes with Spb's GPRS Monitor, I've used this and compared it with my Orange bill and its spot on

Guest fraser
How did your friend get a new invoice produced from Orange??  It's not possible as once a bill has been produce after the bill date this can never be changed, the system just doesn't allow it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dunno who told you that, but I seriously doubt it's true. Customer reps lie all the time about what they can do; telling the customer "I can't" is way better that "I won't". If they can't change the billing, how do they fix other billing errors? I've had charges dropped myself, as have others here. Sorry, but businesses require invoices for tax reasons, and Orange must be able to produce updated ones after errors. It goes without saying.

Guest BobaKet
Dunno who told you that, but I seriously doubt it's true. Customer reps lie all the time about what they can do; telling the customer "I can't" is way better that "I won't". If they can't change the billing, how do they fix other billing errors? I've had charges dropped myself, as have others here. Sorry, but businesses require invoices for tax reasons, and Orange must be able to produce updated ones after errors. It goes without saying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it doesn't.. As long as an incorrect bill is recalculated and the credits show on a future invoice this is perfectly acceptable as the customer still has the invoices outlining all charges and corrections including and excluding VAT. Reproducing a standing invoice with different information can be construded as re-billing a customer for the same time period which in itself is illegal, whether these are are

amendments or not.

• 1 month later...
How did your friend get a new invoice produced from Orange??  It's not possible as once a bill has been produce after the bill date this can never be changed, the system just doesn't allow it.

Also the M500 comes with Spb's GPRS Monitor, I've used this and compared it with my Orange bill and its spot on

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He got a new bill sent. They insisted that the data volume was correct (although they had no way of verifying it) but they recalculated the bill because the GPRS charges had been charged@ £10/meg.

When the original bill for £340 came through, he asked them whether it would come from his direct debit because it was under dispute. They said it wouldn't but it did.

They advised him to cancel the direct debit until it was resolved and then a month after it was resolved, he closed the account.

This was a completely new bill for the same month that was originally billed for.

I didn't realise until after I'd posted that he had already seen the original thread and posted (deepakjee)

Strange that T-Mobile can do it and Orange can't (but then again Orange don't charge the ridiculous £7.50 per meg outside bundle that T-Mob do)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think you may be looking at the wrong thing here Pondrew. My out of bundle charges for GPRS (I'm on Internet 6 - 6MB of data for £5) is £3 per MB. This is what I expect to see on my bill - though I am yet to have one so we will see!!!

It does say on the T-Mobile site that WAP access via GPRS (per KB) is 0.75p - which would be £7.50 per MB. Surely this is different to using GPRS for internet access?? If I'm wrong please correct me as I don't want to end up paying £7.50 per MB!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

• 3 weeks later...