AT&T Audiovox SMT5600, Cingular ROM/Branding

Guest yankee516

Guest yankee516

Good morning! Just got an Audiovox SMT5600 branded for AT&T from EBay for a friend of mine. I have unloocked it successfully and performed the tweaks to remove most of the AT&T branding and configure for Cingular.

My question is: has anyone found a way to extract the ROM from the Cingular version and flash it to the AT&T phone?

If this is not possible, has anyone figured out how to get the roaming indicator (triangle) to go away?

I have changed the operator strings in the registry to show Cingular and set manual network selection as well, but I want to get rid of this icon or change the network the phone thinks it is supposed to be on.

Thanks for your assistance, fellow Smartphone-philes! 8)

Guest jimmyz
Good morning! Just got an Audiovox SMT5600 branded for AT&T from EBay for a friend of mine. I have unloocked it successfully and performed the tweaks to remove most of the AT&T branding and configure for Cingular.

My question is: has anyone found a way to extract the ROM from the Cingular version and flash it to the AT&T phone?

If this is not possible, has anyone figured out how to get the roaming indicator (triangle) to go away?

I have changed the operator strings in the registry to show Cingular and set manual network selection as well, but I want to get rid of this icon or change the network the phone thinks it is supposed to be on.

Thanks for your assistance, fellow Smartphone-philes! 8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be very easy to do this, we just need someone with a Cingular phone who is willing to spend 10min following some directions. If anyone has a Cingular SMT5600, please say hello ;)

Guest jenya

I am going to get my hands on a cingular version of SMT5600 in a week or so. I also have the att version so I will be ripping the ROM for my self and who ever needs it... Could someone please send me instructions on what I need and the step by step procedures...

Thanks

It would be very easy to do this, we just need someone with a Cingular phone who is willing to spend 10min following some directions.  If anyone has a Cingular SMT5600, please say hello ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest clemonator
If you do get the ROM for the smt5600 that is Cingular please send to me and instructions on how to load.  thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds good to me... anyone keen on hookin' me up so my AT&T can do the way of Cingular pls email me! thanks :-)

Guest MrDSL

I plan on getting the Cingular 5600 also so as long as there are easy to follow instructions I can help out also. Send them via pm or a link please..

Guest coyspiracy

come on guys, lets make this happen. im really curious to know if the cingular rom will fix the speaker problem...lets go lets go!!

Guest Zeke009

I am definately interested in getting the cingular rom as well. I did the conversion of my phone according to the guide I found here and I'm always getting a roaming symbol and still see AT&T Wireless as my network provider.

Guest gbradberry

OK I've got and old ATT SMT5600 that I have unlocked and switched my service to Cingular. I get the roaming signal and can't connect to the internet despite following the guides here.

My wife just got a Cingular branded SMT5600, so I am ready, willing and able to extract the ROM from her phone and try it on mine.

I just need someone to send me the instructions on how to do this, as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Let's go!!!!!

gbradberry

[email protected]

Guest Zeke009
OK I've got and old ATT SMT5600 that I have unlocked and switched my service to Cingular.  I get the roaming signal and can't connect to the internet despite following the guides here....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have that same problem. I can connect to the internet, but I can't send any MMS messages. That roaming icon is driving me nuts, anyone had that problem here and fixed it? It shows it's roaming on the AT&T Network.

*edit*

I just unlocked my MPx200 from AT&T and with my Cingular SIM I get the same thing on my MPx200. I get the roaming icon like I do on the SMT 5600. What's going on with Cingular SIMs and unlocking and seeing the roaming icon?

Edited by Zeke009

Guest gbradberry

OK, trying to extract the ROM from the Cingular phone using Tera Term, I receive the following:

r2sd all

***** user area size = 0xF140000 Bytes

R2SDBackup() - Download type = 6

usTotalBlock = 1 sizeof(SDCARD_SIGNATRUE_TABLE)=512

Load Binary NORMAL partition: data from DiskOnChip to RAM

Start to read bianry partition.

Read binary partition successfully.

Load Binary NORMAL partition: data from DiskOnChip to RAM

Start to read bianry partition.

Read binary partition successfully.

You didn't get the proper security level to download a specific image

Any ideas????

Guest Cylon
i dont know whats wrong but consider this encouragement ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Might need to ap-unlock the phone first???

Thanks again for doing this guys!!!

Cylon

Guest mobilelawyer
How do I app unlock her phone?  Are there any side effects?  She'll kill me if I screw it up......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would look through this forum first to get the step-by-step instructions for "unbranding" the AT&T phone and tweaking it with all the Cingular settings. My AT&T phone works fine on Cingular with those settings for all purposes. Trying to flash the phone with the Cingular ROM sounds interesting, but I would wait until someone else tries it successfully before trying it on your phone. An unsuccessful flash could destroy the phone and make it useless.

Do a search for The Ultimate AT&T Wireless’ Audiovox SMT5600-to-Cingular Conversion Guide By Raphael Salgado (aka BeyondtheTech). His guide is on this forum and works quite well.

Guest gbradberry

I followed his guide to the letter, but alas, to no avail.

I even called Cingular. They were very helpful, but they gave me exactly the same settings.

Guest DarkJedi

any help with this? i'd love to use a cingular rom rather than the french one.

i just called cingular and asked if they would update my ROM to the cingular version, and they proceeded to tell me that the AT&T version and the Cingular versions are different on the technical side. the only difference is the software (or ROM), that's all. it's like saying the 5600 is technically different from the C500, it's just not true.

Edited by DarkJedi

Guest jenya

Whats the status with this. I am dying to get my hands on Cingular ROM. The Roaming triangle is killing me, and I swear my phone is still searching for ATT towers primarily... Even though my phone is unlocked and im on cingular...

any help with this?  i'd love to use a cingular rom rather than the french one.

i just called cingular and asked if they would update my ROM to the cingular version, and they proceeded to tell me that the AT&T version and the Cingular versions are different on the technical side.  the only difference is the software (or ROM), that's all.  it's like saying the 5600 is technically different from the C500, it's just not true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest shortcut3d
Whats the status with this.  I am dying to get my hands on Cingular ROM.  The Roaming triangle is killing me, and I swear my phone is still searching for ATT towers primarily...  Even though my phone is unlocked and im on cingular...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Common guys, we need to get this figured out. I had to shelf my blue SMT5600 and use an orange Treo 650 becuase the roaming still appears to be an issue.

I miss the great AI games on smartphones.

Guest gbradberry

Sorry folks, but I am currently at a loss. I can't get the Cingular ROM to copy from my wife's phone.

If anyone else has some ideas, I'd love to hear them and give it a try.

Guest flywest
Whats the status with this.  I am dying to get my hands on Cingular ROM.  The Roaming triangle is killing me, and I swear my phone is still searching for ATT towers primarily...  Even though my phone is unlocked and im on cingular...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if it helps you to know I have a Imate JAM which is unbranded and unlocked and ALL California users including myself report the same roaming triangle. I was told it was because you are using Cingulars towers with a T-mobile SIM inserted. Anyhow, it is perfectly fine to have that trianlge. It is not searching or wasting battery life, it is not using roaming minutes, it is slightly annoying is all.