Talking Point: MoDaCo Events

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Talking Point: MoDaCo Events

Welcome to 'Talking Point', our 'MoDaCo Feature' for Friday!

Today I have a poll and Talking Point about 'MoDaCo Events'.

For those that don't know, MoDaCo Events in the past have been nationwide events held at a venue provided by Orange / Microsoft, where MoDaCo members can get together, drink beer, chat, hear from industry related people, meet Orange / MS, meet the MoDaCo staff, win stuff and such like ;)

Since our last meet, there has been much discussion between myself and Monolithix (officially our Offline Events Manager), about what form the next event should take... and this is where I want your input!

So let's start with the facts... running an event is not cheap. Aside from copious amounts of beer that the MoDaCo readership seem able to consume, (:P), there is a considerable charge associated with getting a great venue etc.

At the last event, despite registrations of around 200 people, less than 100 turned up - a little disappointing, not only for us here at MoDaCo, but for (in the last case) Orange who put so much effort in.

This situation led to an idea whereby potential attendees are asked for a deposit of £10 to secure their place, which is then converted to a £10 raffle ticket for charity when they arrive - not a bad idea.

Alongside this, it was suggested that rather than one large event for everybody, a number of regional events may be more effective.

I personally would love to see us pull off a super successful nationwide event (purely because I think it's great to get everyone together), but here is YOUR CHANCE to share your wisdom, and help us decide how to take events forward.

Please feel free to answer the poll above, but please also elaborate by replying to this topic.

Thanks! ;)

P

Guest TigerNet

...would it be possible to do both...a series of smaller local evenings with an annual nationwide bash? This might give more of an indication as to how many might show up as well as a 'local taster' to those who are not sure...

...also, from a venue perspective, local members might be able to find cheap/free locations...(a local restaurant I know, Confucious!)...

Cheers

Nick

Guest spacemonkey

I think the subscription cost to come to the event is a good idea cos it'll help secure peoples commitment to coming. As to a big event/little ones...

The big events are good and I'd worry about smaller ones whether you'd actually get a high enough turn out. You'd probably find that one of the regional events would get a large turnout like they have traditionally and the other smaller ones would be very small.

Just my feeling anyway.

Guest beersoft

the ticket idea sounds good (even tho i never win) i think just about everyone bought a raffle ticket.

the smaller events, whilst being more intimate, would be more focused on specific topics, instead of being the fun mishmash of (semi)drunken beersoft fun and chats about new stuff/programming/homescreens/whinge at orange etc, would be more of a friendly chat over a beer about all things smartphone without the better half moaning about it.

i think (stealing tigernets idea) that having a few smaller regional meets throughout the year and one big one to have a bit of a party at and generaly catch up with everyone else

and if anyone asks, i'll be the one drinking responsibly

later

Owen

Guest bluesmudge

Im afraid i couldn't come to the last meet, is there any chance of a run down of the itinerary for the day?

But as far as my opinion can go - i think i would like an over the weekend event, possibly saturday being spent amoungst modaco users as a get together session (ok drinking session)... and sunday with the reps (not too early i have a feeling saturday would be a late night)

How about a venue which is really easy to get to? somewhere i can drive my car to . . . and if its a weekend event - possibly held in the confrence hall of a hotel?

Oh and the deposit is a great idea - im infact you didn't insist on it last time ;)

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest C500mad

1 meeting would be better I think to have more atmosphere - £10 charge seems a very good idea - somwhere central for everyone - Birmingham would be great - demo's, talks and could we get enough covered in one day? What about 4 demo's at once with small groups in each one. At a microsoft office would be good to see the latest from them or even their head offices in Seattle - even better

Guest squall

birmingham is not as central is you would think, coming from the north its easier to get to london that it is to get to birmingham

Guest uggers37

Regional events sound good, if you decide to hold one in Kent, let me know cos I run a conference centre & might be able to help you out, can't promise cheap beer but might be able to get a good deal on the venue

Guest Hawko

The ticket idea sounds pretty sound, it'll make people more likely to properly commit to going.

I think that a few smaller local events would be good, then like an annual big bash. I aint had my smartphone for long so i'd be virginal as it were ( :shock: ), to a meet, but i'd almost definately come along to either the national or local type. ;)

Birmingham would be a good place for a meet cos there's tons of place's that could be a venue, whether the meet was national or local would be up to u guys.

Regarding the day of a meeting, i think saturday evening is prob pretty sorted, means u have sunday to recover if you drink loads! :twisted:

hopefully you'll let us know proper details nearer the time! :?:

Guest MECX

i think id be more likely to turn up to a local event, but i mean its not likely that paul/orange/mono would be able to come to every event, it will need some sort of representative at each place for organisation and a number of features to change it from a drunken mess to a propper event.

Guest Gears

I gotta admit that I was a bit peed off about the turnout last time. I mentioned the event on CSP and it was mentioned on loads of other sites. Registrations were high and interest seemed great, but on the day it seemed like everyone had got lost on the way or something.

Part of me can understand I guess, especially when people tell their girlfriends or family that they're going to drive for several hours to look at some mobile phones. To them it seems a little weird.

So yeah, a ten quid deposit would help to stop people registering willy nilly

Guest kurtfhouse

I think the problem is although we all post on here, at the end of the day you don't actually KNOW the people on the site so when its comes to travelling for several hours and possibly hotels etc. and the costs associated I think people think twice.

I mean imagine travelling six hours by train (say £80) and forking out £70 for a hotel (and theres still beer! £??) for the event and when you get there although you have a common interest in gadgets you don't really get on with alot of the people. You have given up that weekend with your family/friends and spent 'x' amount of money and end up regretting it.

O.k I am being very 'glass is half empty' about it but I think thats why the turn out is poor. If the last event had been in London for instance I would have come along and brought my brother and a mate who are interested in smartphones (both are MoDaCo memebers but don't post much).

For that reason I think local events have more potential for higher turn out because people don't have to invest so much. Now run some local events so people get to meet a few other members and get a taste for the whole thing and then run a big national event and I think your onto something.

I would definately do my best to get to a London event.

Guest mavisdavis

I'm from the Nottingham area) and know there are loads of us who could come along(15 people at work have already and a few friends and family are smartphone owners) I think what we need to do is start a forum having 1 member from each region willing to find a free function room and just meet up with other locals around the area for social drinks. then when it comes to a national meet we can all arange minibuses/accomadation together... ;)

PM me if our in or around the Notts/Derby area and Ill see about meeting up one night , I dont mind running around picking up members from say Derby to here so you only have to get home ;)

Edited by mavisdavis

I've been to most of the meets, and like the idea of local meets, means you can get to know people before a bigger meet, makes it less intimidating.

Also like the idea of the £10 charge - I appreciate the effort involved, and would be quite happy to pay.

Guest peekie

For me as long as there is an airport nearby i would come as this year i would only be coming to the uk for the meet as my family are finally after 10 years coming here to holland for a visit , would be nice though for a meet here in holland so the euro members could also come and meet eachother ;)

Guest Alien18

I quite like the idea of having a few local meets with local members (even if it's only at a local pub). Just for the fact that it would make a big meeting much easier to go to. I must admit i probably wouldn't have gone if it weren't for the fact ath one of my mates was also a member and we could very easily travel to 52 degrees north in Brum.

Also, paying £10 up front that later gets turned into my raffle tickets would be fine by me. I was amazed that it was all free at the last meet and so felt compelled to do my bit and put £10 on raffle tickets (won me a nice Microsoft jacket).

If it did go the way a few people here have said, and we have local meets then a big annual meet. It would certainly be of benefit because if the next meet was in London or Leeds (as people have suggested), me and my friend probably wouldn't be able to make it, whereas, if there were a few more of us, costs of hiring a minibus, etc. Don't seem too steep.

Hi,

I agree with a £10 deposit, am sure no one will mind.

Eventho a large event would be nice, it may be wiser to have a couple of smaller ones in Bristol (Orange HQ) and London, where loads of smartphones owners live and might be interested.