some questions from a newbie

Guest mungosdad

Guest mungosdad

Hi all,

I've just received my M2000 this morning and am so far really liking it, I have a couple of question that I hope somebody here will be able to help me with.

1) How can I change the battery without it loosing all the data, and then having to allign the screen, and reset the time and date.

2) Can I set a mp3 as a ring tone. The not so helpfull Orange manual says copy the file into the directory windows\rings, I've donethis but the it doesn't show up when you scroll through all the different ringtones.

Thanks

Mungosdad

Guest pizdyetz77
Hi all,

I've just received my M2000 this morning and am so far really liking it, I have a couple of question that I hope somebody here will be able to help me with.

1) How can I change the battery without it loosing all the data, and then having to allign the screen, and reset the time and date.

2) Can I set a mp3 as a ring tone. The not so helpfull Orange manual says copy the file into the directory windows\rings, I've donethis but the it doesn't show up when you scroll through all the different ringtones.

Thanks

Mungosdad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi. Welcome to Modaco. You'll find soooooo much more useful info here than you ever will in THAT Orange manual, so don't even waste your time with it.

Are you new to forums in general? If not, then you should know that a quick search will yield your answers. Otheriwise, try the search (link up at the top of the page), making sure that you search in the "Blue Angel" forum. Any query you might have - you can guarantee that someone else has had it already & had it answered here.

1st Question see this link: Click Here !!! I found this answer by searching for "Battery Data" & got the answer in the last post on the 4th page. Best thing about searching for yourself is that you come across questions you never thought you needed answered & you learn about you 'toy' a lot more quickly.

2nd Question: Unfortunately, I don't think you can use MP3s. I may be wrong cos I ain't searched for an answer. wav's work just fine & sound ok. If it's a short, looping tone then it'll only take up ~100 - 200Kb at most. Not a huge sacrafice out of 128Mb!

Enjoy the forum. We all suffer from that poor Orange manual, so don't be afraid to ask. . . . . .

GH

PS - sorry if you know how to use forums. Some don't (I once didn't), so I thought I'd take the time . . . . .

Guest mungosdad
Hi. Welcome to Modaco. You'll find soooooo much more useful info here than you ever will in THAT Orange manual, so don't even waste your time with it.

Are you new to forums in general? If not, then you should know that a quick search will yield your answers. Otheriwise, try the search (link up at the top of the page), making sure that you search in the "Blue Angel" forum. Any query you might have - you can guarantee that someone else has had it already & had it answered here.

1st Question see this link: Click Here !!! I found this answer by searching for "Battery Data" & got the answer in the last post on the 4th page. Best thing about searching for yourself is that you come across questions you never thought you needed answered & you learn about you 'toy' a lot more quickly.

2nd Question: Unfortunately, I don't think you can use MP3s. I may be wrong cos I ain't searched for an answer. wav's work just fine & sound ok. If it's a short, looping tone then it'll only take up ~100 - 200Kb at most. Not a huge sacrafice out of 128Mb!

Enjoy the forum. We all suffer from that poor Orange manual, so don't be afraid to ask. . . . . .

GH

PS - sorry if you know how to use forums. Some don't (I once didn't), so I thought I'd take the time . . . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to do a search next time.

My unit performed a hard reset when I changed the battery, even though the backup battery was showing at 100%. Thats why I was asking.

Mungosdad

Guest Pondrew

Unfortunately some report hard resets on disconnecting the battery. I've had my MDA III since January and as I use an SPV E200 for when the MDA would be too big you would have thought I'd have experienced this. But despite regularly taking the sim out I've never had this problem.

No one has yet worked out why some have it and not others...

Guest rickyburke

i just make sure, when removing the battery, that i turn the device off and leave it for about 5 or 10- seconds to let the phone shut running programs before removing the battery. Otherwise your doing the equivilent of pulling the mains from your pc while its running. Can't be good.

Guest PetieyBoy

IIRC the problem with hard resets when removing/disconnecting the main battery is that the little slider to release the battery is also a switch to swap to the back-up battery.

If you don't move the slider enough, or it's suffers from an iffy contact for some reason, the back-up battery isn't 'engaged' and a hard reset results. :evil:

Pete

Guest dazza12

Hi,

I believe the M2000 also supports WMA files as ring tones (the E200 definately did). These are similar in size to an MP3, and may mean you don't have to take up lots of space if, like me, you keep changing your mind regarding ringtones.

That's unless you are planning to put that damn frog ringtone on it. Recently shipping M2000s will be damaged if the frog ringtone is put onto it - at least they will if I'm within hearing range of it......

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gibbo_ap
Hi all,

Thanks

Mungosdad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dont know if someone has already said this but if you use windows media audio (.wma) files they work fine as ring tones if memory serves.