Where will the Orange updated ROM be?

Guest celica1.8st

Guest tsutton
Is a leaked video card driver 'warez?'

To get to the point - yes. Have a read at their agreement (you know the long worded when you install it but you just click next without reading it) - it mentioned something about it in there.

Guest Confucious
OK, I was trying not to get drawn into this debate but I've failed, so here goes.

I fail to see how downloading and using this ROM is in anyway illegal,

What don't you understand about copyright laws?

You agree that someone stolle it from Orange but once it's been stolen you think it's alright to receive stolen goods?

Have Orange (The Copyright owners) given you permision to use this software? If not IT IS ILLEGAL.

Guest ElGato65
What don't you understand about copyright laws?

You agree that someone stolle it from Orange but once it's been stolen you think it's alright to receive stolen goods?

Have Orange (The Copyright owners) given you permision to use this software? If not IT IS ILLEGAL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair point, I see I became confused in my ranting's, but does the same not apply to the ROM's that are being modified to work on devices for which they are not intended. Is that not also a breach of copyright?

p.s. and there's LOT's I don't understand about copyright laws.

Edited by ElGato65

Guest Confucious
Fair point, I see I became confused in my ranting's, but does the same not apply to the ROM's that are being modified to work on devices for which they are not intended. Is that not also a breach of copyright?

p.s. and there's LOT's I don't understand about copyright laws.

Yes it does - unless the ROMs have been put on general release.

I don't believe, for instance, people are modding the French ROM which I believe is on release to anyone who wants it to get it to work. I could be wrong (I frequently am ;) )andIi'm as hacked off about this as anyone (I also have broadband that doesn't allow access to P2P - does this have anything to do with it?!).

I have just sent an email to Orange Tech support asking when it will be made available as it's already on new phones so surely thay can't still be denying it's existence?

Guest ElGato65
I don't believe, for instance, people are modding the French ROM which I believe is on release to anyone who wants it to get it to work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are instructions all over this forum explaining how to modify the .nbf file in order to get it to load. Just because something is on general release doesn't mean it "public domain".

Guest Confucious
There are instructions all over this forum explaining how to modify the .nbf file in order to get it to load. Just because something is on general release doesn't mean it "public domain".

This is true, but is the .nbf file copyrighted or does your EULA allow you to modify it once it has been supplied to you?

Am I clutching at straws? ;)

Has anyone ever read an EULA?

Guest ElGato65
This is true, but is the .nbf file copyrighted or does your EULA allow you to modify it once it has been supplied to you?

Am I clutching at straws? ;)

Has anyone ever read an EULA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This discussion all may be a bit mute, I have just ran all the updates I have in order to look at the files contained and there is not one EULA or copyright notice anywhere to be found :?:

The only documentation I have found is the standard warning it may mess yer phone up. So where does that leave it now? Anyone ?

Edited by ElGato65

Guest Radeon12345

Thought I would better edit the post as I asked for a download which i should't have, sorry :oops: :oops:

Edited by Radeon12345

Guest tsutton
I have a C500 and I really want to try it but fin a download link anywhere :cry: , anyone know where I can get that Orange C500 leaked update ;)

You didnt bother reading this thread, eh? Please read the rules - you do NOT ask for the download link here. It's illegal.

Guest Radeon12345
You didnt bother reading this thread, eh? Please read the rules - you do NOT ask for the download link here. It's illegal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, did the post before reading the entire thread, sorry :oops:

Guest ady2002

hey just a quicky to say, i have a friend at an orange shop and upon showing him the c500 with the new WMP10 update he went into the backroom checked it with a model they had been sent with it on and confirmed it is the final official version ;)

Guest DarkJedi
What a strange question! Have you never heard of copyright laws? Do you think it's OK for anyone to steal other peoples software?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but when it's free, how is it illegal? like saying pirating freeware. the only way it's illegal is when u sell it. but if ur not, well, it's not illegal. i could understand betas, but freeware is freeware. orange releases this rom upgrade for free, meaning you don't have to pay for it, MEANING it's NOT warez.

Guest Confucious
but when it's free, how is it illegal?  like saying pirating freeware.  the only way it's illegal is when u sell it.  but if ur not, well, it's not illegal.  i could understand betas, but freeware is freeware.  orange releases this rom upgrade for free, meaning you don't have to pay for it, MEANING it's NOT warez.

It is free to people who already own the phone. It is a free upgrade. It is not and never has been freeware. The copyright is owned by Orange and they have the right to say who can use it and when.

Having said thht apparently there is no EULA so maybe it is freeware....

Guest gadjet

My 2 penneth.....

I must say I'm suprised that this forum has no problem taking a ROM officially released for the French C500, probably something about only using on French phones in the EULA, and then tweaking it till it works and then getting all bent out of shape about someone mentioning that there is a "leaked" UK version on the internet.

I agree that posting a link to the dubious ROM might be a step to far but don't have a go at people who want to give it a try.

It is common practice for people to tweak graphics card drivers to increase performance and there are even magazine articles discussing the best modified drivers to use.

I this day and age I believe it has become common practice to modify your own property or its software at your own risk, My phone belongs to me I can modify the SW if I wish (as long I don't then sell it) SW.

I used to edit the ROM images for the Samsung DVD player to give personalised Screen savers and I don't believe Samsung ever cared about it !!!

I also agree with a previous poster, most leaks are indeed a way for the authors to get some free beta testing done in advance.

Having said that I agree that legitimate forums should not post links to illegal SW but I think it's a bit of a grey area as to wether this is illegal or not....

Guest drblow
I agree that posting a link to the dubious ROM might be a step to far but don't have a go at people who want to give it a try.

Having said that I agree that legitimate forums should not post links to illegal SW but I think it's a bit of a grey area as to wether this is illegal or not....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think anybody is having a go at anybody else for using the leaked ROM, the point being made is that links to it will not be allowed on this forum - thats nothing to do with law, it's forum policy. As you say, the legality of this situation is pretty much a grey area, but the emphasis behind most of the posts here is that if you are looking for the leaked ROM there will be no links posted here, and that if you install it you do so at your own risk, and at the risk of voiding any warranty/insurance.

Guest Badgerboy

Now that we have the legal issues sorted out ;) Does anyone want to discuss this update that we're not entitled to use (yet) :D

Maybe this was the "imminent release" :twisted:

Guest ElGato65

I for one, and I know a friend of mine have gone back to the 4.1.1.4 ROM, as it seems all the "new" ROM's break TomTom Mobile v4. Also I seemed to loose the ability to store ringtones on my SD card. I can live without WMP10, always used betaPlayer anyway.

Guest Badgerboy

So we're actually losing functionality on the new ROM :??: I too can live without WMP10; although it's a vast improvement, its still not a patch on Betaplayer ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leaskovski
Yes it does - unless the ROMs have been put on general release.

I don't believe, for instance, people are modding the French ROM which I believe is on release to anyone who wants it to get it to work. I could be wrong (I frequently am ;) )andIi'm as hacked off about this as anyone (I also have broadband that doesn't allow access to P2P - does this have anything to do with it?!).

I have just sent an email to Orange Tech support asking when it will be made available as it's already on new phones so surely thay can't still be denying it's existence?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So when someone makes a nocd patch for a game (modding the exe file) thats not breaking copyright laws then?? Eh??

If you want an example of modifiy exe files breaking copyright laws, here is one to do with F1RST-Racing...

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=30099

As far as im concered and being a software developer, modifying the ROM releases so that they can install onto a phone that they were not intended for is a breach of copyright law.

Edited by Leaskovski

Guest amirjs

Well as for the imminent release of the update I was told by Orange technical today that they had not even begun testing the UK version of the update, even though it has been released in France, and that there were 'currently no plans' to test it ever.

Thought that might cheer you all up!

Guest nick_mpx
My 2 penneth.....

I must say I'm suprised that this forum has no problem taking a ROM officially released for the French C500, probably something about only using on French phones in the EULA, and then tweaking it till it works and then getting all bent out of shape about someone mentioning that there is a "leaked" UK version on the internet.

It is common practice for people to tweak graphics card drivers to increase performance and there are even magazine articles discussing the best modified drivers to use.

I this day and age I believe it has become common practice to modify your own property or its software at your own risk, My phone belongs to me I can modify the SW if I wish (as long I don't then sell it) SW.

I used to edit the ROM images for the Samsung DVD player to give personalised Screen savers and I don't believe Samsung ever cared about it !!!

I also agree with a previous poster, most leaks are indeed a way for the authors to get some free beta testing done in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually you dont actually "own" any software. When you buy a piece of software your only buying the rights to use it and within the terms and conditions it clearly state that any "modding" is not allowed. the same is for films and music. You can only buy the rights to listen or watch, which is why you cannot share or sell it.

Guest celica1.8st
the same is for films and music. You can only buy the rights to listen or watch, which is why you cannot share or sell it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does that mean that music shops selling 2nd hand cd's are doing so illegally? Or that record collectors who buy old vinyl are actually buying it illeagally??

Guest celica1.8st
Well as for the imminent release of the update I was told by Orange technical today that they had not even begun testing the UK version of the update, even though it has been released in France, and that there were 'currently no plans' to test it ever.

Thought that might cheer you all up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've tested the UK one - it works fine! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest celica1.8st

To answer my own original question in this thread of where the ROM should actually be, I guess when they are ready it will be at:

http://web.orange.co.uk/yourphone/spvc500/...l?id=sm_1137635

You could also try editing the link to the old ROM:

http://web.orange.co.uk/assets/sw/RUU_v0.9...UK_v4.1.1.4.exe

Maybe it's already there but not linked yet??? I tried the basics but got nowhere ;)

Another place they put the software updates is:

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite...ature&t=Product

Maybe it will appear there?

Edited by celica1.8st