I was crazy enough to buy a QTEK 8020 from Expansys. It was full of bugs and had very old firmware 22.214.171.124. I ran into the QTEK-says-Expansys-should-provide-updates-and-Expansys-says-Qtek-should-provide-updates problem immediately. The phone had the following problems (with the old firmware) -
*GPRS came and went at random
*GPRS frequently would not disconnect
*when typing into login boxes, particularly the YAHOO login, the phone always started by inserting 2 characters at a time, forcing me to go back and delete the errors
*I had difficulty answering phone calls
*IE took ages to start and download pages
*whole thing very slow and unreliable
After reading this thread about 10 times I got the idea that some of this might be put right if I could update the ROM myself. I found what looks like the latest ROM for the 8020 by searching a Norwegian smartphone site called - http://www.smartmobil.no
However this wouldn't run and reported "Vendor ID invalid". So I had no choice but to try to use the TyphoonNBF tool to see if I could make the nbf file lose interest in the Vendor of my phone. The term Vendor did not appear in the headers reported by TyphoonNBF so I took a chance on this meaning the same as Operator and deleted the Operator given in the ROM upgrade which looked like a Scandinavian company.
However when I tried to save the edited nbf file I got the same I/O errror message that others had complained of. This really threw me until I read the post that explains that the nbf file is left open by the Upgrade Utility and therefore cannot be written to. Eventually I understood that it was necessary to de-archive the Upgrade Utility so that it was possible to get at the nbf file, edit it, save it elsewhere, delete the original and replace it with the new edited file.
Then I ran the de-archived Utility and hoped that my guess about Vendor=Operator would prove to be correct otherwise I would have done all that work for zero!
I am absolutely delighted to report that it worked. The upgrade seems to have solved all my problems and I am extremely grateful to everyong who posted on this thread. The phone cost about £180 and it was working like something worth £30. A depressing scenario, but now I am happy. I can only say that Qtek and expansys provide useless customer support. I was particularly disgusted by Qtek's trick with IMEI numbers on their web site which means that Qtek phones bought in the UK (I assume) are simply not accepted and access to the updates is denied. Absolutely disgraceful. I assume Expansys supply no update files because they would have to pay Qtek for the privilege and that would eat into their precious profits.
Thanks to everyone who wrote to this thread. I am really glad this very old thread was left here. It has made a bit of a disaster into something really quite good. Brilliant!