TotW: Changing Emergency Call Numbers

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

TotW: Changing Emergency Call Numbers

You just can't keep a tweaker down... so pzee, one of our Pinoy moderators, is back again with yet another tweak :D

Over to you pzee, and if anyone needs any guidance on editing the registry, check out any of our previous tweaks in this forum ;)

P

Target device: C500 - wont work on Tanager, not tested on Voyager.

Our tool: RESCO File Explorer / Registry Editor

ECall Numbers are emergency numbers you can dial even when the device's keypad is locked. The C500 is programmed to have ECall numbers 911, 112, 08, and 999 as default numbers.

If for example you are in the Philippines, those default ECall numbers are pretty useless. Dialing 911 for example will take you to Pizza Hut hotline. That is not a good idea in cases of emergency situations, right? J/K ;)

Our target value is: 'List' of HKLM\Security\ECall

post-1-1118085543_thumb.jpg

It is a 'Multi-String' data item with values 911, 112, 08, and 999

You can't simply change the numbers by editing the values since you'll get an error message: "Unable to perform this operation".

What you need to do is rename 'List' to 'ListX'.

post-1-1118085579_thumb.jpg

Once renamed, create a new Multi-String Value, type 'List'. Edit the value data by entering, for example, your country's ECall numbers, police hotline etc. You can also add several numbers to the existing list.

post-1-1118085600_thumb.jpg post-1-1118085612_thumb.jpg post-1-1118085629_thumb.jpg

Restart your phone for changes to take effect. :D

Our tweaked phone...

post-1-1118085650_thumb.jpg post-1-1118085670_thumb.jpg

Any questions, feel free to post below!

Guest extravagant
I never see a screen that says emergency number when I press 911 without pressing the talk button..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SORRY MATE I SEE IT!

Guest rankinl
Just tried this and it wont let me rename list to listx. Phone is c500 app unlocked any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same with me. Using Resco Registry on C500, just like the example. Cannot rename the Key.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Sorry for this very late reply. The inability to change the ECall number on your phone is due to the fact that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security is a protected part of the registry. Again, sorry if this got you confused.

Here are the list of protected registry areas.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Init

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WDMDrivers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services

HKEY CLASSES_ROOT (device specific)

To address that issue, we have to tweak the registry using a provisioning file.

Attached is a CAB which when installed, will set the ECall number to 123 only. Restart device after installation.

Using your favorite registry editor (try RESCO), open HKLM\Security\ECall then edit content of 'List' (there should be 123 inside)

Change 123 to your desired number. To add another number, make sure the cursor is at the end of the 1st number then press Action button (toggle bar) to move to the next line.

For example:

123 <--- 1st Ecall number; line 1

789 <--- 3rd Ecall number

Hit 'Done' when finished. Restart device for changes to take effect.

ECall.Prov.cab

Guest gingerninja

Thanks pzee. Ihave just run the above cab and it has changed the contents of list to 123 but when i dial 999 with the key lock on it still recognises it as an emergency number. Any ideas why?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

I found out that 112 is still recognized on my phone. Well at least only 112. :)

Now I don't have any idea of other registry section/s harboring the ECall numbers. :twisted:

Strange...the other ECall numbers are no longer active except for 112.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Esevenoo

Hi there. I tried this tweak on MPx 220 and it works without problems 8)

I have my MPx 220 lacalised for Czech Republic and there is only 112 which I want to have there (because it can be used in my country). I added 3 other numbers (155, 150, 158) and they work. :)

I also tried (just for joy) removing 112 from the list. And, I have the same problem as others have. It's strange. :evil:

• 1 month later...
Guest exosceleton

hello pzee

your cab file doesn't work on my e200.

The message is that the cab doesn't have the correct system authorization

nogo.gif

any idea's

thanks

Guest muppetboy

I can't get it to work :)

I've changed the reg key, but still 112 and 999 etc work. I've even tried deleting things.

Each time I've powered down then up again. I guess I'm doing something wrong - any ideas?

Guest muppetboy
Hi. Welcome to MoDaCo.

Have you tried my post in here:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid=640976 ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I've given that a go. But, unfortunately still get no joy.

I can edit the registry keys, and they take ok. If I lock the device and type in 123 it will warn me that it's an emergency number. But, it also does the same for 999 etc - even though they are not in the list.

So, it does parse that list - but it must have another set of emergency numbers elsewhere.

When I use PHM reg editor to search, it crashes my device. I was going to see if 999 etc exist elsewhere in the registry.

cheers for the help!

muppet