Audiovox SMT5600 SimLock Toggling (Cost: $0.00)

Guest Abecedarian

Guest Abecedarian

(1) Introduction

Over at the SPV-Developers' Board thread on unlocking the Audiovox SMT5600, Cyberdim offered up advice on how to unlock the Audiovox SMT5600 using the SPV-Developers' free C500/C550 SIMLock Toggling (FREE) tool. While Modaco previously had a post on the Free SIM unlock for the SPV C500 from SPVdevelopers.com, it didn't really do much for those of us in the states.

I haven't actually tried Cyberdim's advice on my own phone yet, but did follow up with a list of links to the files he suggested. My general impression right now is that the SMT5600 is actually application-locked, but merely a different type. I'll discuss this later, after going through the juicy parts.

Without any more ado...

(2) Cyberdim's Advice:

I'm suprised that no one has figured this out yet but, YOU CAN UNLOCK SMT 5600 with SPV Services app for free. I've unlocked four SMT5600 so far with no issues. All you have to do is:

1) Find on the net No Warez and resetsecurity.zip. Read the "readme" and used them as instructed...

2) This will app unlock your device,  and some more (i'm not sure how this helps but running the both worked for me all the time) then reboot

3) Use the SPV services (C500 unlock tool) as directed, vola.. :)

Now you have a SMT 5600 unlocked...

In response to this, I dug up links to the suggested files, which I will post/update here as well. Because I am waiting to unlock my phone for a variety of complicated reasons - stemming from my hesitancy to void the warrenty of a highly dust-prone device - it should be noted that I have not tried many of these programs myself. Experiment with them (and post the results, of course) at your own risk.

(3) aeconfig_.zip

For some reason Modaco's automated gods aren't letting me link to this file, which is odd since msmobiles.com mentions that Modaco used to host it (here and here). Similarly, airfagev mentions it as well. I'll just assume for the time being that it is legit for me to talk about it and that this censorship is entirely automated. Very odd. If Modaco does have a problem with all this, I'll simply tone most this down to “Google a zip file named aeconfig_, except without the underscore.”.

A working version of the file can be found at on Machineman's list of free smartphone downloads (http://members.home.nl/joentje75/smartphone/spp.htm), which as far as I can tell contains outdated versions of a few programs that were free in early beta.

The file contains AEConfig_.exe, DisableSecurity.xml, a .lnk file to activate them, and a manual. I believe the link is unnecessary given the pseudo-unlocked aspect of the SMT5600.

The included manual states the following:

No Warez unlocks your SPV/ E100 / E200

This removes the software lock.

Unzip the file

place the "Disable Security" shortcut in "/IPSM/windows/start menu"

PLace the files "No Warez.exe & DisableSecurity.xml" in the "/Temp" folder.

Now run the disable Security from your phone start menu

After a while you get the messsage that it succeeded.

Good Luck Machneman"

It is worth noting that this is not targeted at the Typhoon (Audiovox SMT 5600 / Orange c500 / etc) model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it still works.

Another version can be found on a post at pdamobiz.com, D/L SmartPhone Program ( http://www.pdamobiz.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19034 ). This site also seems outdated and legit. I haven't downloaded it, however, and don't know whether it contains the same zipped files.

(4) resetsecurity.zip

I found two downloads for this, each a bit different. It should be noted that neither contained a manual.

{i} Modaco -> How do you set up hotmail on the phone??

This file contains ResetSecurity.exe, a 4 KB executable. No manual is included.

I have no clue whether it actually works. The post explains a little bit about how it works, and apparently some found the results satisfactory.

{ii} Motorola MPx220 and Audiovox SMT6500 "app locked"?

This file contains CheckLock.exe (4 KB), RapiConfig.exe (49 KB), and ResetSecurity.xml (1 KB). No manual is included, but most of the post itself is fairly informative.

I have only tried the CheckLock.exe program, which did work (results below). Y'all are free to try the rest of them and let us know how they work.

I have no idea if there is any significant difference between these two downloads, but my instinct is that there isn't.

(5) Questions

I trust that these will work, and am looking forward to trying them once I get a replacement dust-free phone. However, I am not sure if there is a major difference between the two. From the Modaco posts and the No Warez manual, both programs seemed geared towards app-unlocking smartphones. What I don't know is:

{i} How are they different?

{ii} How does No Warez.exe work?

{iii} Are both needed, or is it redundant?

Not the most pressing questions, if - as Cyberdim claims - used together they get the job done. Just questions that could yield other insights.

(6) Inferences/Insights

I tried CheckLock.exe, and it informed me that my phone (which uses the AT&T ROM) is application locked. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the SMT500 is locked, although in a slightly different way. I've had a fairly long thread with pzee, and am starting to think that this could purely be the result of some "special" application lock that applies only to the Audiovox SMT5600. I am curious whether an application locked c500 user is able to use SPV-Developers' tool and/or delete 'system' files using their computer.

(7) Testing

I strongly encourage everybody who plays with these to post their results. Even if this doesn't work, we can spend a little time hacking away at solving this

And, of course, there are plenty of other methods of application unlocking phones (I think). For example, pzee posted about how he created an explanatory image.

Feel free to post anything you know that works on the SMT5600. SIM Unlocking or exploring how the SMT5600 is application locked (or not). Better yet, take the opportunity to go all theoretical.

That's all, and kudos to Cyberdim for giving we Yankees some hope.

~Abecedarian

Cooooooool :shock: :shock: :shock:

it's working !

perfect !!!

stell one question (to be tested if it hadn't yet) : a Hard reset will return the sim-locking ??

Guest vactor
Cooooooool  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

it's working !

perfect !!!

stell one question (to be tested if it hadn't yet) : a Hard reset will return the sim-locking ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i ran the programs, and check lock indicated that the "phone is not locked". i have no other sim card handy to test immediately. is this the message i need? , and went to the c500 unlock tool, but am not sure how to run it. will it send a file to me? do i even need to run the tool? i found it here: http://developer.orangews.com/orgspv/comdefq.aspx and need a bit of guidance to run through it if i need it. this is an AT&T SMT5600 i am using in the USA ... thanks!

Edited by vactor

Guest Cyberdim
Cooooooool  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

it's working !

perfect !!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No hard reset will not return the SIM-lock back. you are set for good :)

Guest dbaldwin

I tried the method suggested and the app does come back and tell me my phone is unlocked however I am definately not expierencing the same benefits I was with my last SMT5600 which I unlocked from IMEI-Check. With my last phone, it roamed between networks quite frequently which was VERY beneficial because I always had great reception no matter where I went. As of yet, I have not had my new free unlocked phone roam to any network but my home carrier. After reading the original post several times, I cannot determine exactly what the difference is between a boot loader unlock (if you will) and this new OS level unlock but there does seem to be one.

Does anyone have any more information on the technical differences here between the two??

Has anyone definately seen their phone roam to other networks?? (i.e. You're a Cingular customer but you ofter see your phone on T-Mobile's network)

I'm just trying to figure out if this really is a good substitute for paying for a bootloader unlock or if there's still more work to do and if so, how I can help.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

okie just unlocked my smt 5600 and then a store 5600 .. it worked great.. thanks to all the people who made it possible

now as for what i did

1. run the AE-CONFIG

follow the all the prompts in the read me

2. run the SPV-SERVICES

a. move the CERT.cab file to the phone. run the cab

b. then run the spvservices.exe follow the prompts> then unlock it.

below are the files just to make it easier

No Warez.zip

SPV_Services.zip

Edited by hkwong

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bluecobra

I am having a hard time understanding what you guys are saying about these phones being locked. Are you just talking about unlocking the SMT5600 so it can use any SIM card or letting the phone be able to run any application you choose? If the latter, I have been able to run any app on my phone since I bought it from Cingular.

Guest Abecedarian
I am having a hard time understanding what you guys are saying about these phones being locked.  Are you just talking about unlocking the SMT5600 so it can use any SIM card or letting the phone be able to run any application you choose?  If the latter, I have been able to run any app on my phone since I bought it from Cingular.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are two types of locks.

(1) SIM Lock

This is the lock that allows your phone to only use a SIM card from a specific company. In our case, AT&T or Cingular, but not both. It is the result of anti-competitive pratices and is hard-coded into the core software that comes with your phone.

Fortunately, SPV-Developers figured out how to get rid of it so you can change carries and still have your phone work!

(2) Application Lock

This is a lock that prohibits you from installing certain types of applications. An early Typhoon model, the UK's 'c500' from Orange refuses to install any applications that do not have proper certification. You'll hear the Brits complain every now and then about this problem, but the truth is they got the Typhoon significantly earlier than those of us in the states. Also, their providor, 'Orange' released a tool to application unlock all their phones.

Because the US gets screwed by the stupidity of our oligopoly providors, the "Audiovox SMT5600" - a version of the HTC 'Typhoon' - had slightly newer software. One of the modifications is that most applications *can* be installed with uncertified (ie, free) ones giving you a warning prompt.

For one reason or another, this isn't the same as having a truly application unlocked phone. Some residual lock remains, which prevents the SPV SIM unlocking tool from working. So, to do that, you must first application unlock your phone. Quite a few people have created solid packages including unlocking software, so that should be easy.

I've hypothesized that this half-unlocking we have also plays a roll in our inability to delete "system" files. I haven't had a chance to explore it myself, and the US Audiovox SMT 5600 community is relatively small compared to the UK c500 community, who prefer to agonize over how they get new phones two months after France and contemplate the upcoming c600.

And, yes, I'm quite bitter that the Typhoon is still considered one of the US' best phones at $250 despite its' upgrade being FREE in the UK.

~Abecedarian

Edited by Abecedarian

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Abecedarian

No prob.

I actually finally took the leap myself, since I'm about to lose access to a computer for an indefinite amount of time. Thank dog for my portable hard drive...

I thought I'd add something here. There is, apparently, a THIRD kind of lock:

(3) Registry Lock

I think we've all run into times where we couldn't tweak our registries. Some time ago Pzee (I think that is the name he goes by at Modaco) posted on his blog:

Smartphone Registry Unlock is a program used to disable registry security lock on your Smartphone.

As always with Pzee's blogging, it is extremely thorough. So go there and read it yourself to learn more.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jeepers304

I followed the instructions and have it so far but how do you install the cert. cab??????????? when extracted is a XML file.

THanks and yes im a Newbie!!!!! lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prof_ethan

I TOTALLY SCREW UP ACTIVE SYNC ON THE PHONE :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

After downloading

1. run the AE-CONFIG

ive done it, and when i reset de phone, Activesync never work anymore.

Like its trying to connect, but cannot detect it

USB drivers are fine

Phone is Audiovox SMT 5600 AT¡T

Win XP

Try it over another pc which used to work and NOTHING

try it reinstalling activesync

my activesync connection whas burned after applying tha file

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

• 1 month later...
Guest joschmoblo

I have a question for someone...

Aside from taking a T-Mobile card and putting it in my phone, is there anyway to tell that a sim unlock worked? What about the app unlock?

I'm not necessarily new with this phone, but at the same time I'm not very experienced with this phone, as far as the technical details, honestly because of lack of time.

Also, are the any others benefits to a sim unlock, aside from the ability to use your phone with other GSM services?

Thank you in advance!!

I followed the instructions and have it so far but how do you install the cert. cab??????????? when extracted is a XML file.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just use my open activesync window, click the Explore button, which opens a new window for your phone. I go into the /temp folder on the phone, and drag and drop the cert.cab file into that temp folder. Then using File manager, browse to the temp folder, highlight the cert file, then click on it to run it.

It worked fine on my 5600, after you unlock it, where it said it was locked the first time, it should say unlocked now if done right.

Now I just have to decide which company I'm going to jump to. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hasbull_88
There are two types of locks.

(1)  SIM Lock

This is the lock that allows your phone to only use a SIM card from a specific company.  In our case, AT&T or Cingular, but not both.  It is the result of anti-competitive pratices and is hard-coded into the core software that comes with your phone.

Fortunately, SPV-Developers figured out how to get rid of it so you can change carries and still have your phone work!

(2)  Application Lock

This is a lock that prohibits you from installing certain types of applications.  An early Typhoon model, the UK's 'c500' from Orange refuses to install any applications that do not have proper certification.  You'll hear the Brits complain every now and then about this problem, but the truth is they got the Typhoon significantly earlier than those of us in the states.  Also, their providor, 'Orange' released a tool to application unlock all their phones.

Because the US gets screwed by the stupidity of our oligopoly providors, the "Audiovox SMT5600" - a version of the HTC 'Typhoon' - had slightly newer software.  One of the modifications is that most applications *can* be installed with uncertified (ie, free) ones giving you a warning prompt.

For one reason or another, this isn't the same as having a truly application unlocked phone.  Some residual lock remains, which prevents the SPV SIM unlocking tool from working.  So, to do that, you must first application unlock your phone.  Quite a few people have created solid packages including unlocking software, so that should be easy.

I've hypothesized that this half-unlocking we have also plays a roll in our inability to delete "system" files.  I haven't had a chance to explore it myself, and the US Audiovox SMT 5600 community is relatively small compared to the UK c500 community, who prefer to agonize over how they get new phones two months after France and contemplate the upcoming c600.

And, yes, I'm quite bitter that the Typhoon is still considered one of the US' best phones at $250 despite its' upgrade being FREE in the UK.

~Abecedarian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how to unlock application?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mechanicaldan

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

I followed hkwong's short directions, and IT WORKED!!! Horray.

I had a shitty Nokia 3120 from work, but I wanted the SMT5600, so I spent personal money on it. The 3120 came with a AT&T SIM card, and my SMT5600 wasn't branded, so it worked fine. Now, I got a new area code, and they sent me a Cingular branded Nokia 6102. Seems to be a nice phone, but not a Smartphone. I do a SIM swap and my SMT5600 boots up and asks for an unlock code. Crap. I go to Cingular, and the rep tells me he couldn't unlock it. So I come to MoDaCo and look around and find this post. Like I said, I followed the instructions, and I stuck in the Cingular SIM, and tada... the phone works again! I'm happy. :) I just ran ActiveSync, on USB cable, and it worked just fine.

When you run the SPVServices.exe, make sure you have run the Cert.cab on your phone first. The SPVServices.exe says that it's not for the SMT5600, but it worked on my phone.

Thank you everyone!

Dan

Edited by Mechanicaldan

Guest grumpy_old_technobyte

Hey I

1. ran AE-CONFIG, followed all prompts , it gave successful message

2. ran SPV-SERVICES and typed "agree"

3. It stopped and gave a message "Unknown error-2147467259 in read operation"

4. Installed Cert.cab in temp folder (Noted: for all those who got above message)

5. ran spv-services again and presto, it says it unlocked the sim

Now i need to visit friend w/ Tmobile sim to see if it will be accepted in SMT5600.

Thanx all!

P.S.- will this work in an Italian TIM sim prepaid card? Ill be in Italy and want to use this phone there.

Edited by grumpy_old_technobyte

Guest famished
okie just unlocked my smt 5600 and then a store 5600 .. it worked great.. thanks to all the people who made it possible

now as for what i did

1. run the AE-CONFIG

2. run the SPV-SERVICES

a. move the CERT.cab file to the phone. run the cab

b. then run the spvservices.exe follow the prompts> then unlock it.

below are the files just to make it easier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So all you need are thosed two files and the directions? Wish I had known sooner! =(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redskillet

I am having trouble unlocking my Audiovox 5600, any help would be appreciated, for some reason the threads here don't help or I don't know how I am not following them correctly.

Phone: Audiovox 5600 (cingular)

My sim and plan is T-mobile

Phone says "Network is locked. Please input unlock code."